the12volt.com spacer
icon

Car Stalls After Starting, Python 1400xp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darinus 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
I will test the resistance in the key and the resistor tonight when I get home. I will post my results.
I checked the ground, and it seemed okay. I drilled a new hole and regrounded the system with a self tapper, to the steering column support.
The voltage when the car dies is approx. 12.3. The car starts up and makes around 13-14, the drops to the 12's as he car dies out. If I switch the key on as soon as this condition happens the voltage stays as is for a second, and the car begins to run better, then the voltage goes back up.
Any chance this could be a faulty ignition switch?
I recently threw an EGR and a TCC code. I am looking to swap out he EGR tonight, not sure if that will have an effect on the car, since there wasn't any problems with the car when this began .
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote freqsounds
Might be a stupid question, but did anyone replace any of the fuses with circuit breakers (they look like black fuses and automatically reset)? Maybe the (+) source is drawing too much power, especially if all 3 heavy inputs are on the same source.
I'm not familiar with these cars. Is there keysense?
Where's the power source for the alarm coming from? (the small (+) constant wire powering the brain)
During the start (while the starter's turning), what's the voltage? Have you tried a new battery, or tried hooking jumper cables while starting? Maybe the battery voltage is dipping too low and confusing the brain.
Is your flex ignition/accessory wire set as accessory?
Just my $0.02!
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Okay so the resitance in the key, as well as the bypassed resistor is 9.53k.
All of the ignition wires get powered up when the rs engages, including the accessory wire.
I tried added a power line from battery to an ignition wire incase there wasn't enough current, and that didn't help.
The original unit was connected for voltage sense and there was never a tach wire installed. Whe I replaced it with the avital unit I first hooked up with voltage sense since this was the recommended install method for this and stated the tach wire wasn't necessary. Same results with this unit.
Ran the tach wire to the fuel injector wire and did The tach learn a few times to make sure it was done correctly and still the same results.
I tried you give gas when the car starts but the same results.
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Okay, so I did a little more investigation, and it looks like the fuel pump is not getting any power while the car cranks.
So either, the ignition wire that feeds the fuel pump is not connected right, or I have another problem.
I connected 12volts to the fuel pump at the relay and the car started and stayed on no problem. Soon as I disconnected the power the car stalled out again.
So does anybody have a diagram to know which ignition wire feeds the fuel pump?
Or should I just run a separate relay to the fuel pump to be activated when th remote starter is activated?
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote freqsounds
It has to be one of the ignition wires. Double/triple check the fuses on the heavy harness. Also, sometimes the fuse blade doesn't slide into the connector;it slides next to it. Test that you have +12v on the car's ignition wires, not the brain's harness.
This could also be caused by the immobilizer. You can put the key in the ignition in the OFF position during remote start. It should stay running if if the immobilizer isn't working right.
I don't recommend running a relay to the fuel pump since the key starts the car. It's clearly an issue with the wiring or brain.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Thanks, key in and off the car won't start. The voltage all seems correct. I think there are only 2 ignition wires in this system, but the Buick has 3. I have 2 wires connected to one of the outputs. Maybe there isn't enough current to run this particular ignition wire?
ziggyb222 
Silver - Posts: 593
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ziggyb222
You need to use a relay for the third ignition...You are most likely overloading the remote start....
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
I was leaning towards that. I will try to wire one up this afternoon and post back.
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Okay so I am under the dash at the moment and the 3rd ignition wire is PURPLE / white. It is a thin gauge wire maybe 14-16ga. It it connected to the heavy gauge ignition one wire (pink). Both ignition wires have their own ignition wire. I fed the PURPLE / white wire power and tried to remote start and the same thing. This wire has a constant 12v even when the car dies.
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
So, the fuel pump relay had a thick wire that isn't getting any power while the RS is running. I ran a relay to it, using the 200mA out.
Is it safe to run this way ?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic