the12volt.com spacer
icon

69 Dodge Charger, DEI 530T & Avital 5303

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dino69 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
I've read sthis as well where someone used actuators to remotely operate the choke. Quite nifty!
I thought about doing it but the car will see very little road time in the next two years and once school is over with I will install EFI.
I'm going to measure the horn relay in a little while and see what I get.
I drew up a new trunk relay schematic according to your recommendations. I'm assuming there is no need for a ground on the relay itself because the solenoid is grounded?
With this setup I then should have the ability to open the trunk by dash switch or remote when the ignition is off correct?
Just out of curiosity, why would it not have worked according to the first schematic I posted?
69 Dodge Charger, DEI 530T & Avital 5303 - Page 3 -- posted image.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
On your first trunk release diagram, you have the trunk solenoid on terminal 30. That's fine. With that relay is just sitting there, terminal 87A is connected to terminal 30 to where if you push the original factory trunk switch you will send 12V to terminal 87a which then is already connected to 30 which then allows 12 volts to get to the trunk solenoid and it clicks and opens the trunk. This is still fine.
On that same relay wiring you then show terminal 86 being connected to 12v and when the alarm creates a ground through the diode on terminal 85, the relay clicks but then terminal 30 is then connected to terminal 87 which you shows goes to a ground. The trunk solenoid then see's a ground but reality it needs 12v instead.
In your first relay diagram instead of running terminal 87 to ground, you could have run this to terminal 87A which would then send 12v out to terminal 30 but to me your second diagram is how I think most do it.
Most of the time when I was working on the trunk release wiring, I would get most of the connections at the switch as long as the power side was a constant 12 volts. I then only had to run the trigger wire for the new relay to the alarms negative trunk output wire or terminal.
Sometimes with the second wiring you show allows a person to run a slightly cheaper relay as it would not have the 87A portion. Most of the time today, the 5 terminal relays are abundant and used most of the time.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2018 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
Well it's been over two years, school is done and I'm a Certified Physician Assistant! The car did not get a whole lot of attention during that time and in fact I picked up where I left of today.
I will have to reread just about everything about the 5303 as I have forgotten much of it. The window units are installed and just need to be grounded and hooked up to the 5303.
EFI is going onto the Charger so I'l be able to use the remote start. It's good to be done with school and it's good to be back!
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2018 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
Slow going as I needed to do a whole bunch of other things to this car but I'm getting there. I have one issue I can't quite solve though...
I initially planned on using this wire to operate the relay feeding the trunk solenoid, because it kinda says so! :-) H1/1 RED/WHITE (-) 200mA TRUNK RELEASE OUTPUT
The trunk would then be opened by pressing the AUX button on the remote. Great!
However, I was looking at the instructions for the 530T modules that operate the windows and it looks like the AUX button is the one that needs to be pressed 1.5 secs to vent and 3 secs to fully open. If I use another channel to operate the windows then it would have to be pressed 4.5 secs. So I really want this to be no more than 3 secs so the H1/1 red/white wire should be connected to the 530T H2/3 red/white wire and NOT to the trunk relay.
That's all fine and dandy but now how do I operate the trunk solenoid? The Avital 5303 manual says there are a few combinations of buttons to operate something, like a trunk solenoid, but I don't know which combo applies to which AUX channel. Anyone know?
Also is there any other way to operate the trunk instead of holding two buttons at the same time? I'd rather be able to do this with one hand but the only two buttons I can comfortably press together one handed are lock and unlock. This operates the timer mode though and I guess I can't pick and choose what those buttons do.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2018 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Assuming the 5305L (Avital) manual is the same as the 5305V (Viper) manual in the downloads section, you can use either AUX 4, 5 or 6.
AUX 4 would be the violet/black wire (pin 19) in the 24-pin harness controlled by the arm and aux buttons pressed simultaneously.
AUX 5 would be the white/black wire (pin 5) in the 24-pin harness controlled by the disarm and aux buttons pressed simultaneously.
AUX 6 would be the orange/black wire (pin 8) in the 24-pin harness controlled by the disarm and star buttons pressed simultaneously.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
Thanks!
I went over the Avital install manual again and these are the AUX channels I find:
H2/2 white/black AUX 2
H2/3 violet/black AUX 1
Both are in the 6 pin connector harness
H4/1 orange/black AUX 3
This one's in the 2 pin harness
So pretty darn similar but no indication in this manual or the owner's manual which operates which buttons. Assuming the colors match what you wrote then maybe the operation is the same. Only one way to find out I suppose!
Thanks for the help!
geepherder 
Posted: October 28, 2018 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
This is for a 5303, but it sounds similar to what you're describing:
https://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/IG/Avital/N5303_2008_07web_.pdf
Check page 37 for standard configuration.
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2018 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
I actually have the 5303, I didn't notice you said 5305 in your previous post.
So color me blind! I went through that manual so many times and I never saw that page. My bad my bad!
Alright, looks like I now have to pick the best combo to operate the trunk and I'm all set.
Thanks again!
geepherder 
Posted: October 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Ha!
After re-reading the title of this thread, I'm not sure where I got 5305 from.
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2018 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
No worries! I'm glad you replied and got it figured out for me!
Question on the diode I need to use between the trunk relay and alarm wire.
Would any of these work or do I need another type?
69 Dodge Charger, DEI 530T & Avital 5303 - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic