the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2007 Dball2/Viper5301 MTS requirements

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loknar28 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loknar28
I was wondering if anyone has experience implementing MTS in a similar setup. I understand there are a few requirements such as:
1) A real (W2W) tach signal, as well as the viper RS configured to use the tach.(signal programmed)
2) Handbrake status
3) door trigger
4) hood pin(?)(over D2D or must I install the DEI pin?)
5) neutral safety W2W straight to ground(viper has a separate on/off switch)
My question is whether or not any signals can reliably be pulled using D2D with the Dball2 for MTS to work properly or if I need to W2W it all. If D2D is not reliable can any of the "W2W signals be sent or pulled over the CAN BUS through the dball2. Right now I am trying to use whatever D2D are possible to see if I can save some wiring space.
It's not that hard to switch back and forth but it can be time consuming since I always solder and heat shrink all my connections.
I understand that theoretically any of the options should work. I am just curious if in practice there are any gotchas. Looking at an earlier post on a similar install, except that it was utilizing an iDataLink ACLA it appeared that there might be some issues.
Any thoughts?
2016 Toyota Highlander
2007 Honda Civic Si
2004 Honda Pilot EX
loknar28 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loknar28
Sorry just realized I had not included the fact this being installed into a 2007 Honda Civic Si
2016 Toyota Highlander
2007 Honda Civic Si
2004 Honda Pilot EX
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
You can use D2D for most of the circuits. You should hardwire the tach and e brake output from the DB-ALL2 to the inputs of the remote starter. The D2D will take care of the door status. Program tach and all should be fine. If the vehicle has a hood pin the DB-ALL2 will take care of it. If not, add your own.
sparky
loknar28 
Posted: February 03, 2016 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loknar28
Sparky,
I appreciate the clarification on the D2D vs W2W. Thankfully, I did finally get MTS to "engage". Now I just need to figure out a safe way to bypass the civic's clutch interlock. I have seen suggested methods from triggering a 20A relay or sending a diode isolated "starter -status output" directly to engage the interlock.
Can anyone confirm if the second method works? It would certainly be nice to not have to burn a relay if it was't needed.
Thanks
2016 Toyota Highlander
2007 Honda Civic Si
2004 Honda Pilot EX
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2016 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

You have the basics down OK.  With a DEI R/S ( Viper, Clifford, Python,etc ) there are some "rules".

1.  The R/S must be set to Tach Mode and a successful Tach Learn is required in MTS Mode.  The Tach signal can be

supplied to the R/S by either D2D or W2W.  Due to some units design, W2W Tach was / is the most reliable way to do it.

2.  The EBrake is required.  It is monitored by the R/S system and used to initiate the Reservation Mode.  It is used as

an safety input to the R/S Neutral Safety Switch.

3.  The Door Status signals are required by the R/S system.  They are used for many things in MTS mode besides the

systems alarm functions ( if an Alarm system, IE 57xx vs 47xx ).  During Reservation Mode engagement, the Door pin
is monitored.  After Reservation Mode engagement the door status is monitored and Reservation Mode is canceled
if any door is opened.  All part of the elaborate MTS safety procedures.

4.  The Hood Pin is also an important safety feature.  If the Civic has the Factory Alarm, the bypass module can obtain

this signal and supply it to the Viper.  Either D2D of W2W is acceptable.  Test to verify correct operation.  If no Factory
Alarm, install the kit supplied Hood Pin.

5.  Clutch bypass :  Not sure if this info is accurate for your SI model but it is correct for the standard Civic models of

that GEN.  At the clutch pedal look for a Orange wire in a Yellow plug.  This wire supplies a (-) signal to the car when the
clutch is depressed.  Verify this with a DMM.  On the Compustar units I use, I simply hardwire the (-) Starter Output signal
directly to this vehicle wire.  No relay used.  On your Viper unit, there is a (-) 200mA Starter Output that can be used for
this function.  Of course a relay is always acceptable.

As a note, I don't typically use DEI products, never used a DB-ALL2 and I always go W2W unless it's just a basic

D2D one-way "transponder only" bypass install.

Soldering is fun!
loknar28 
Posted: February 04, 2016 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loknar28
Kreg357
Thank you so much for providing this concise set of requirements to make sure that MTS will work properly. It was needed, can this be added as a sticky guide?
kreg357 wrote:

You have the basics down OK.  With a DEI R/S ( Viper, Clifford, Python,etc ) there are some "rules".

1.  The R/S must be set to Tach Mode and a successful Tach Learn is required in MTS Mode.  The Tach signal can be

supplied to the R/S by either D2D or W2W.  Due to some units design, W2W Tach was / is the most reliable way to do it.

2.  The EBrake is required.  It is monitored by the R/S system and used to initiate the Reservation Mode.  It is used as

an safety input to the R/S Neutral Safety Switch.

3.  The Door Status signals are required by the R/S system.  They are used for many things in MTS mode besides the

systems alarm functions ( if an Alarm system, IE 57xx vs 47xx ).  During Reservation Mode engagement, the Door pin
is monitored.  After Reservation Mode engagement the door status is monitored and Reservation Mode is canceled
if any door is opened.  All part of the elaborate MTS safety procedures.

4.  The Hood Pin is also an important safety feature.  If the Civic has the Factory Alarm, the bypass module can obtain

this signal and supply it to the Viper.  Either D2D of W2W is acceptable.  Test to verify correct operation.  If no Factory
Alarm, install the kit supplied Hood Pin.

5.  Clutch bypass :  Not sure if this info is accurate for your SI model but it is correct for the standard Civic models of

that GEN.  At the clutch pedal look for a Orange wire in a Yellow plug.  This wire supplies a (-) signal to the car when the
clutch is depressed.  Verify this with a DMM.  On the Compustar units I use, I simply hardwire the (-) Starter Output signal
directly to this vehicle wire.  No relay used.  On your Viper unit, there is a (-) 200mA Starter Output that can be used for
this function.  Of course a relay is always acceptable.

As a note, I don't typically use DEI products, never used a DB-ALL2 and I always go W2W unless it's just a basic

D2D one-way "transponder only" bypass install.

2016 Toyota Highlander
2007 Honda Civic Si
2004 Honda Pilot EX
loknar28 
Posted: February 04, 2016 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loknar28
So...this even I find myself scratching my head a bit.
Today I took care of wiring the clutch interlock bypass. I ran the starter (-) status output diode isolated with the cathode side(+) in the direction of the orange wire. This, as well as the MTS sequence seem to work as expected. I then leave the vehicle and use the remote to shutdown the engine. Afterwards, I attempt a restart using the remote and the usual dash/system checks begin but the engine will not turn over.
The blink errors listed are:
(3)Low or No RPM even though I have a solid blue light during the learn process and
(4)Transmitter Shutdown(or optional push button).
I also reconnected many of the W2W I had previously removed to test the D2D functionality. I did disable most of the check boxes but left a few of the status items like engine temp, runtime, OEM Alarm status, ect.....
I still need to install the hood pin and run the wire into the engine compartment, but it is not grounding to anything right now, so I figured I could still test it. I am also pretty sure that it is still configured as N/O. I am obviously missing something, but a sanity check would be appreciated.
2016 Toyota Highlander
2007 Honda Civic Si
2004 Honda Pilot EX
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
You might try hardwiring the tach if you haven't done so yet. Then relearn and try again.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
loknar28 
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loknar28
geepherder wrote:
You might try hardwiring the tach if you haven't done so yet. Then relearn and try again.
I have it hardwired to the dball2 and it is passing the tach signal from the CAN BUS. If I need to pul it directly from the harness I can certainly try that. I just figured if I got a solid blue light it was indicating a good tach signal. Or, maybe it just means it leaned something... 2007 Dball2/Viper5301 MTS requirements -- posted image.
2016 Toyota Highlander
2007 Honda Civic Si
2004 Honda Pilot EX
mscguy 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2016 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mscguy
loknar28 wrote:
I ran the starter (-) status output diode isolated with the cathode side(+) in the direction of the orange wire.
Cathode is the (-) with the stripe/band. The band has to face your viper in this case.
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic