2018 Toyota Sienna LE Keypad Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
l_walker 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2018 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
jangelj wrote:
I'm curious what you needed the 2 sliding door wires for?
You certainly don't need them. But, it does allow you to open/close the sliding doors with the keypad.
Door Unlock: PIN + 1/2 button
Door Lock: PIN + 3/4 button
Left Sliding door: PIN + 5/6 button
Right Sliding door: PIN + 7/8 button.
The parking lights are actually a little more useful as they are used to blink in order to indicate success/failure codes. But, even that is only during programming.
(My LE doesn't have power tailgate, but that's also available. )
jangelj 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't realize you could open the rear doors. Great! Also, is it true that there is no alarm or security wire to connect?
So the minimum wires you could connect to make this function is -, + lock and unlock
thanks!
l_walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2018 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
jangelj wrote:
I didn't realize you could open the rear doors. Great!
I just wish you could unlock the doors and open a side door without entering the PIN twice. On my old Ford, you could enter the PIN once and then do multiple operations. On this thing, unlocking the doors and opening a side door takes 12 button presses (my PIN is 5 digits).
jangelj wrote:
Also, is it true that there is no alarm or security wire to connect?
So the minimum wires you could connect to make this function is -, + lock and unlock
Yes. And, technically, you don't even need lock. So, you could just hook up Unlock, the Unlock ground, 12v constant power and its ground.
BTW, I used and recommend Posi-Taps. At close to $2 a tap, they're pretty pricey, but they made it soo easy. I don't care what kreg357 says, soldering a tap into a 30 pin connector is not my idea of fun.
l_walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2018 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
I was wrong! This does not work if I lock the doors with the keyfob.
If I lock the doors with the keypad or the lock button on the door, it does work. So, maybe there is some sort of security wire you have to connect. The keyfob does make chirps whereas the other unlock/lock methods do not.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2018 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
See if pulsing the keysense wire first will work.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
jangelj 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2018 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the clarification on it not working when locked with the fob. That is important. Please post back if the key sense wire works. I likely will not have an opportunity install mine for a few weeks.
thanks!
l_walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2018 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I'll need some help locating the key sense wire. Oh, and what would I hook that up to? The unlock wire?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
The Keysense wire can be found at the ignition switch as shown below :
2018 Toyota Sienna LE Keypad Install - Page 2 -- posted image.
Additional possible locations :
Bulldog Security :
KEYSENSE    RED (-)    @ DASH FUSE BOX @ ECU WHITE 40 PIN PLUG, PIN 17
Omega :
Keysense   RED (-)   BODY ECU WHITE 30 PIN CONN, PIN 17
Same DMM setup and test procedure as listed above for (-) type signals.
Soldering is fun!
l_walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, thanks. But, uh, what do I connect the KeySense to on the ADD ON unit?
Here's a snapshot of the wiring diagram just in case: https://i.imgur.com/J7XuoV8.png
BTW, you said:
kreg357 wrote:
ADD ON unit wiring.
Green/White to Chassis Ground
Green/Yellow to (-) Lock
Blue/White to Chassis Ground
Blue/Yellow to (-) Unlock
Black to Chassis Ground
But, the wiring diagrams seems to show Green/Yellow and Blue/Yellow going to ground. Does that matter?
2018 Toyota Sienna LE Keypad Install - Page 2 -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Good question. Never tried installing a system like your add-on unit, plus I always use a
full featured DATA style bypass module on these newer Toyotas that handles the locks and
alarm system.
From your description of the problem, it only happens when you lock the van with the factory
FOB. You need to do some testing to see what is going on. I'm pretty sure your van does not
have a Factory Ararm system but you should test to ensure it does not have the alarm.
The next test would be to see if the passenger door lock buttons get "turned off" by the van
after a lock command from the factory FOB. Your add-on system is sending an unlock command to
the actual wire coming from the door button so the button should be in-op, too. There could be
a few seconds delay, perhaps a full minute before the interior door locks become in-operative
after a FOB lock. So, lock with the FOB, wait a minute and try the interior door unlock buttons.
The next test would be to see if a Keysense signal would awaken the passenger door unlock button.
Easy enough to do, just lock with the FOB, wait a minute and insert the key into the ignition switch
and then remove it and try the unlock button. If that worked, then you would need to find a way
to get your add-on system to do the same thing. The only signal you could use would be the same
Unlock output you have already connected to the vans unlock wire. Here you would need to split
and diode isolate the Unlock output wire and connect to the Keysense wire listed above in addition
to the unlock wire.
Soldering is fun!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic