the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2018 Toyota Sienna LE Keypad Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
l_walker wrote:
Ah, thanks. But, uh, what do I connect the KeySense to on the ADD ON unit?
Here's a snapshot of the wiring diagram just in case: https://i.imgur.com/J7XuoV8.png
BTW, you said:
kreg357 wrote:
ADD ON unit wiring.
Green/White to Chassis Ground
Green/Yellow to (-) Lock
Blue/White to Chassis Ground
Blue/Yellow to (-) Unlock
Black to Chassis Ground
But, the wiring diagrams seems to show Green/Yellow and Blue/Yellow going to ground. Does that matter?
2018 Toyota Sienna LE Keypad Install - Page 3 -- posted image.
Sorry for the confusion on the lock relay wiring. I followed the Tacoma world info. However it doesn't
make too much difference. We are only using relay Pins 30 and 87 of the internal relays so it doesn't
matter if 87 is the output instead of Pin 30. The ground signal still gets passed through when energized.
Pin 87a is not used and should be cut / insulated.
Soldering is fun!
l_walker 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks so much for replying!
1) There's no real alarm. I can lock the car with the keyfob, wait a few minutes and then open the door and nothing happens.
2) The passenger side door lock button definitely is disabled after locking with the keyfob.
3) Just putting the key in the ignition and removing it doesn't re-activate the passenger door lock button. I have to turn the key to the ON position (Accessory position doesn't do it) before the unlock button is activated. Given that, is keysense wire likely to work?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Good info.
1. Definitely no Factory Alarm
2. Toyota built in security to prevent coat hanger break-in.
3. Agreed, just pulsing Keysense will not get unlock working again.
It is possible that a double pulse to the Unlock wire will do the trick. However,
I don't see any option setting on the add-on system that will accomplish this. As
a test, add another of your expensive Posi-Taps to the Unlock wire and a length
of spare wire to the tap. Lock the car with the FOB, verify that the Unlock button
in the door is in-op and then double tap the end of the spare wire to chassis ground.
See if that gets the van to unlock.
The standard R/S system outputs a .7 second unlock pulse and has a programming
option for a double pulse output. The double pulse output is a .7 second ground
pulse, a ~.5 second pause and another .7 second ground pulse. You can manually
duplicate that to see if that works.
If memory serves me, the same thing will happen if you lock the van using either
inner door lock button with the door open when you exit the van. The doors lock,
you close the door and the unlock button no longer works. Again, this is a security
feature built into the van by Toyota.
Soldering is fun!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
You could also try pulsing battery positive to the ignition wires prior to unlock. You could try without keysense, and if that doesn't work, pulse keysense first, then ignition. You can test this in the same manner as kreg suggested previously.
If this works, your unit has an auxiliary output as well as a trunk release output you could use to accomplish this. Of course it'd mean several more button presses.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
kreg357 
Posted: April 27, 2018 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
Here is the best bet to fix your issue. There should be a signal wire coming from the
drivers door lock cylinder. Typically it is called the Factory Alarm Disarm wire in the
wire guide listings. Here is the info from Omega :
OEM Alarm Disarm   BLUE (-) DOUBLE PULSE   BODY ECU WHITE 30 PIN CONN, PIN 24
It can also be found in the wire harness bundle coming in from the door.
Test for this wire with the previously mentioned DMM setup. To see the signal, you will
have to insert the key into the drivers door lock cylinder and rotate it to the unlock
position. The only issue I see with using this wire / signal is that the first unlock
pulse from the add-on unit will only unlock the doors on the drivers side. It would need
a second pulse to unlock the rest of the van.
Soldering is fun!
jangelj 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2018 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Is that alarm disarm wire info specifically for the 2018 Sienna? I'm curious if I_walker was able to test this? Seems like great info.
thanks!
l_walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
jangelj wrote:
I'm curious if I_walker was able to test this? Seems like great info.
Yes! It works.
At least,it does on my 2018 Sienna. And, pin 24 does unlock all doors with one pulse.
Thank You to kreg357!!!
jangelj 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2018 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Wait, so you only need to enter the code once and it unlocks all the doors? Does that mean the blue/white wire from the keypad module goes to pin 24? Sorry, just wanted to be 100%
Thanks!
thanks!
l_walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry. I just checked again, and (again) I was wrong. A single pulse on Pin 24 only unlocks the Driver's door and the driver's side sliding door. You do have to do it twice to unlock the rest of the doors. (Because it unlocked the sliding door, I assumed it unlocked everything.)
And, to be clear, you connect the Add-On unit's Blue/Yellow to the PIN 24 (BLUE) @ BODY ECU 30 Pin connector.
(BTW, the posi-taps make futzing around like this super easy to do. I was able to simply remove the tap from the Green PIN 10 and put it on Blue PIN 24.)
jangelj 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks man! Really as long as it unlocks the driver's door, I'm good. This is a great solution. Thanks for doing the "legwork" and confirming. I'll post back when I complete my install, but it may be awhile.
thanks!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic