icon

hidden starter kill, ghost switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  

You should have a negative trigger coming off of your e-brake.

Lets say you want your e-brake set to start the car.

Cut your starter wire coming off of your key solinoid, one wire will go to terminal 30 and the other will go to terminal 87.     Terminal 86 will get  +12volts (use the ignition wire or else the relay will be active everytime the e-brake is set,   also, make sure you use true ignition, this will stay at 12 volts while the engine is cranking over) while terminal 85 will be the -12 volts coming from your e-brake wire. (If you've never looked at your e-brake assembly before, there will be a wire connected to a terminal on the assembly, all this wire does is tell your dash light that your e-brake is on).

Terminal 30     One side of the cut starter wire

Terminal 87     The other side of the cut starter wire

Terminal 86      +12volts IGNITION 

Terminal 85      -12volts from your e-brake 

Now lets say that you want your e-brake NOT engaged (with it down) to start the car.

Follow the same procedures as above, but switch the starter wire from 87 to 87a.     What this will do is allow starting only with the e-brake down. Having the e-brake up will be impossible to start the car.

This is actually probably the more preferred method of the two since most people set the brake out of habbit. If  a thief were to get in and try to start the car with a screw driver and the brake was set, he would go nowhere!

Good Luck, Mark

lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks, i'll give that a try, i had not checked the post in a while so sorry for the late answer, one more question thought, i also have my cruise control button as a kill switch, it has to be turned on in order to start the car BUT i keep getting feedback, when the button is in the off position you can see the light its somewhat dim, I tried putting a diode but it wont work. I'm puzzled on that one.
Sps70129 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

wassup everyone!? ok i've got a '99 dodge intrepid(it should be a crime that they made them so easy to steal)! does anyone have an idea for a great starter kill ghost switch? with this car i need one bad. don't get me wrong i love it , but so does thives.

thanks

mike948753 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I have an 84 Cherokee and I want to add a starter interrupt.  I want to make it to where you have to push the cruise control button in order to start it.  Well I cant find which wires to attach where.  Can someone give me a very detailed directions on how to do this and what color wires go where? Thanks.

kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
what i did was cut the starter wire from the steering column (so it no longer will crank from the ignition switch)and wired it up (with a relay) to the nitrous button on my b&m shifter. Basically you have to turn the key on, then push the nitro button to start.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
Trimble Epic 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
out of curiousity, doesn't that also fire nitrous while you're trying to start the car?  Is that a good idea?
mike948753 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Aight well that was my plans but I dont know which wire is my starter wire!  There is about 6 wires coming from the ignition.  And they all show power when I turn the key.  Any hints?
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
the starter wire will read voltage only when the vehicle is cranking.
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
lol..sorry. I dont have nitrous on the car..the shifter comes with a nitrous button on it.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
blackmagicwrx 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
tuneman here's one for ya.
in my subaru i decided that using my radar detector hardwire to trigger a fuel kill relay. basically i'd like to make a latching relay that will only turn on when i have my radar detector on, if it's not on before the key turns to ignition then the fuel pump wont start.
the radar detector is a 8500 and i have it wired to an accessory power curcuit. obviously tieing the tigger for the relays into the positive will be useless. any ideas?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic