icon

Thief Proof Alarm Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atomsite 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Is the DEI stuff better, or the Trilogix?
1kewlexpo 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

I have always installed my alarms myself.  I definitely take the time to install it.  I also extend the brain away from the driver side and hide between the firewall and liner on the passenger side.  I even go to the extent of removing part of the dash to hide it.

I also cover all of my wiring with the same electrical tape that matches the  OEM to give it a more stock look.  I definitely do not use the fuse box for any power source unlike most installation shops. A lot of shops do use the fuse box for a quick install.

Just taking these few  extra steps make a world of difference when they try to hotwire or disconnect your alarm.  I also use both the horn and siren at the same time.  The more annoying noise, the more attention it gets.  There are still a few people out there that do care and tend to check things out if an annoyig alarm goes off. I'm actually one of  those people.  I guess I'm just a good samaritan.  I know what it's like to have your car broken into and wouldn't want to wish that on someone else.

John

atomsite 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

I know you can do a better install if you do it yourself. However you won't get the DEI theft warranty. That's why I was trying to ascertain if it was legit or not. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a payment from DEI? A lot of times they advertise these things, but when you go to collect they slam the door in your face.

If the warranty is not any good, its probably better to do it yourself. Unless you're extremely fortunate to find a good installer. But then how do you tell until after the job is done.

Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

Atomsite, you seem to me an intelligent individual. I think you can do an alarm/remote start install yourself. Follow some of the directions in this thread. Find the unit that you like the best, and spend a day “getting to know your new truck”. As stated before, shock sensor, battery backup siren, are a must. I have my preference on remote starts, but not on alarm/remote starts. As to your question on DEI or Trilogix, DEI makes the best alarms, but are behind on remote starts and bypass units (GMDL1-4, PLDATA, ECT). Trilogix in my opinion is the leader in bypass kits, databus modules, ect. I have the luxury of living in N. Montana, where the chance of my truck being stolen, or even broke into is nill, so I don’t install alarms that often. But… If I had to choose an alarm/remote start, it would be the pager style unit from DEI. You can find some of these on Ebay. You are not limited on having to use DEI’s version of the GMDL4, PLDATA ect.. You can use the Trilogix with the DEI. You can do this yourself, may take a whole day, but you will know its done right. You also have us here at the12volt to give you some help if you run into any problems.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Hak
Siemens Autostart
atomsite 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

Too bad the factory service manuals for the 2004 Chevy Avalanche are $120. Plus they're not for sale yet. The wiring probably hasn't changed much from the 2003 model though. I would suppose the dealer could figure out what wires to tap into based on their experience. Or perhaps someone on the forum has access to the wire info.

Still, is it better to have the DEI warranty or is it better to install yourself. (Of course the theft warranty is only good for one year. Howabout their lifetime replacement warranty. Is that only good if installed by the dealer?) Does the dealer fix any vehicle electronics that they fry, or do they say "tough luck." Does anyone have any opinions or experience in this matter?

atomsite 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Did DEI pay for the labor to replace the Viper, or just the part(s)?
Right now I'm leaning towards having the dealer do it. Mostly because I'm getting too lazy to do the contortions required to install an alarm.
However I need a first class installer. Can anyone recommend one in the Los Angeles area.
Digger67 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

atomsite wrote:
I've started doing the leg work to find an installer for the new truck (Chevy Avalanche) I have on order. I've been to two installers that handle DEI products. Neither one knew anything about the GMDL4, PLDTA, WIN-DATA, etc. Modules that will probably be required for my vehicle. It made me wonder. I guess I should just call around and find someone who has worked on Avalanches. (Although I would think those modules would be used on other Chevy trucks as well.)

They are most likely going to use the 555L on it I belive thats that most common Bypass for the Passlock 2 system. Unless you have the Passlock 3 system in your truck.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic