icon

Remote Start for Manual?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mb44197 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all.  Gettin' tired of startin' my car in the morning, but I got a stick.

I went ahead and installed the DEI VIPER790XVR and everything works great, but I want added protection.

The clutch switch is ONLY bypassed during remote start, and it will not start in reverse.  1-5 are a different story.  Any ideas for finding a wire with ground/12v in gear?  It's a 2002 focus.  Anyone done it before?  Thanks in advance, guys.

cva2000uk 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
you have no chance .the only thing you can do.when the car is runing the handbrake is off.so when you engage the handbreak . this could be used somehow.say the alarm was to monitor the handbreak. earth.this could be used somehow.the alarm will only allow the car to remote start if the handbrake is on. and the doors are closed?an idea
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

what we've done in the past is use a simple reed switch mounted underneath the boot, above the shifting mechanism...usually able to line up the pads (being creative, using backstrap, etc) pretty good, so that when the cars stick was even wiggled past neutral, it broke ground....

all remote starts for standard look at the door trigger to sense if a door is opened...we simply piggybacked onto that circuit (with diodes) so that if the stick was moved from neutral, the r/s thought the door was opened and canned programming...

b

Steveo_supremo 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

This is what you need. It's at the very bottom of the page it's called a neutral safety bypass. It is the only safe way IMO to install a remote start on a manual. http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/security_bypasses.asp

mbsaudio 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
What I normally do if a customer doesn't want to use a proper unit is similar to HamiltonAudio. But I normally tap into the hood pin wire. This way if the car is in gear it grounds out on some creatively placed metal plates and thinks the hood pin is open, opposite to HamiltonAudio's. Make sure to use diodes.
maxx3616 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
can u install that bypass to any type of alarm?
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
Just as it says "Starter system must have “Stop & Go” type feature"
Meaning you can drive your car and stop, hit a button on the remote or use a switch in order for the remote start to take over so you can get out of the car and it keeps running. This feature alone is one of the best defenses if your trying to use an auto RS on a manual. Just get into the habit of putting it in this mode everytime you get out and you know it's ready to go since your not in the car and it's still running..Then just shut it off via remote when you get out and lock it up..Of course hook up the e-brake, hood pin, brake wire, as well..Good luck,
Mike
mbsaudio 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
yes you can. Aslong as the remote start has a hood pin. Almost all do
brunetmj 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Check to see if your focus has a neutral sensing wire. Some newer cars have them. If it has one you can tie the wire into the hood pin switch.It will then only start in nuetral.
Focusedonsound 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2003 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

I don't mean to jump in on your thread however it was on the same topic so I figured it would be best addressed this way. 

I have been looking in to alarms/Remote starts for manual Trans Cars for a few months now.  and I have come across a number of different setups.

The one that I have decided to go with and done quite a bit of research on is manufactured by this company www.goairx.com it is distibuted by a company knowen as Design Tech International.  And the Model is the Airwolf 20096.  Here is how it opperates

In order for the Remote start to engage when you park your car here is the process you have to go through.

1) Park.

2) Emergency Brake On.
3) Turn off Ignition (Car will continue to run) (Do not step on brake this will de activate the process)
4) Open Door and Exit.  Upon closing of the door the car will shut down and your car is now ready for full remote opperation. 

If you don't go through this process the car WILL NOT start. And the process is nothing more than what you would normally do when exiting a manual shift car. 

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic