icon

circuit breaker box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

I guess you could simply create a remote positive terminal such as those found on newer vehicles for jumpstarting/charging reasons. If your going to use this power source so it is on with ignition, simply wire up the relay(s) like i mentioned above and instead of running the relay directly to your devices, run it to a distribution type box with several terminals in it. This would allow you to connect whatever devices you need to and remove them just as easily.

Im still wondering what your going to hook up into this box? I mean, I cant think of many applications in a vehicle where you would need to quickly connect numerous items, and remove them just as quickly... but maybe thats none of my buisness. I guess if it was me, and i wanted to hook up alot of things to only have power when the key is on, i would wire up a relay for each device to use the ignition wire as a trigger but place toggle switches inbetween so if i need to turn one off, I flip a switch and kill 1 relay while the rest remain active... this would... in effect give you a way to "break" the connection to whatever you choose, without having to disconnect wiring ect.

You could also do the same with the distribution block.... use the ignition wire with a toggle switch in place as your trigger.. and wire up as many switches/relays as you need... that way you have a place (the block) to tie in whatever you might dream of... and you have a place inside the vehicle where you can power them up.... i dunno.. good luck

Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

we'll I have cooler that I keep numerous sodas in that I like to randomely through out the window I have a portable discman that I use as my cd player I like to through that out the window when I am driving to work also. Finally I have aftermarket heated seats they catch on fire some times I have to dicconect fast......OK that was all a little joke

For real though I dont need this box of any particular reason I have times where I run into tapping fuse power just suxs or dosent look neat but I Had to get ign power and did not another way and I am doing a truck (soon to be mine I hope ) that I am going all out on neon a lot of neon full stereo and video dvd for the kids (YEAH right) and all the little toys (Like head lights that turn off when the vechile turns off Please see other post that I made I have not gotten any replys on TITLED: light go out I bet you guys could help) I thought I could put somthing together like a breaker box it seemed like a good idea that I might be able to sell at the guys at work.

any way I have seen fused dis blocks but I have never seen them less than 10 awg where do I find one for smaller wire??

Thanks for the help guys you are my new HERO'S 

don't fowl the track
Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
mikeshonda750 wrote:

when you apply power(ignition) to one side, and ground to another side, it will flip a switch and allow the other 2 pins of the relay to make contact...

Where can I get the orginal ign wire to power the relay besides the fuse boxor is taht it?

don't fowl the track
mikeshonda750 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Some will disagree with me on this... but dont tie anything into the fuse box.

If you take, lets say, a set of fog lights and hook them up to turn on with the headlights and you simply tie your wiring into the fuse at the fuse box, that cuircut that was created to carry 20amps, using a 20amp fuse is now supplying 30amps, on 20amp wiring and a 20 amp fuse.... and even if you toss a 50amp fuse in there, the wiring was still designed to handle 20amps. My problem with this (other than it being a saftey hazard) doesent have anything to do with that tho.... it has to do with after you sell your vehicle. You simply unbolt the fog lights tape up the wires and hide them away and 2 months down the road, i get the vehicle in with a headlight problem. It is a horrible pain in the ass trying to figure out where the problem is, and after lots of diag time, ya finally find some corroded taped up mess stuck to the top of the fuse box. With that being said:

Figure out what color your primary ignition wire is. Ask here if needed, we can find out... it will be along the steering colum most likely...Tie in here....  you dont need to use 4 gauge wire here but make it heavy enough that it will handle whatever might be tossed at it. If i was you, i would fuse this wire right there close to the harness. Run this wire directly to the relay, or to a toggle switch. It should be connected to terminal 85 of the relay. Connect 87 to the battery (fused at the battery), connect 30 to whatever you want to power up (fog lights, CB, whatever) and 86 to ground.

I will add one comment then stop rambling on... may be wise to tell us what type of vehicle your wishing to add this "Key on ~ Lights on" feature to.. it may require the use of some diodes to stop it from frying a computer or another switch ext... just a little FYI

Good luck

Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

93 Subaru Imperiza AWD

I posted it under Relays in another post oso this oone wouldnt ramble on.

Thnks

don't fowl the track
mikeshonda750 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

Your ignition wire is a solid red wire running from the ignition switch, down the steering colum. This wire will test +12V only when the key is in the ON position AND during crank. I would reccommend using an accessory wire. This wire will have +12V in ACC/RUN position but you will loose juice when the key is off, or your starting the engine. This is a RED / Yellow wire in the same location. I prefer this as your + source because it wont take away any voltage from the starter/computer while your cranking the engine, but will give your equipment power when the key is in the "ACC" position which is nice if your just sitting there with the engine off... but need your newly wired stuff to be powered.

Remember

85- Ignition/Acc wire (side terminal left)

87- +12V Battery fused(top terminal)

86- solid ground (side terminal right)

30- to your distribution block(bottom terminal)

let us know how it goes

LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

u  know i read through the entire 3 pages, and i can't believe not one person knows what he's talking about, i understood exactly what he meant from the first post, maybe i can explain it better for him.

ok long story short, he hates hooking up under the dash for a ton of crap, may it be lights, more cigarette lighters, connecting his radar dector, his cb,

he thinks this looks like crap and is a crappy way of doing it, i also agree

what he wants to do is run a heave guage wire such as 4-2 guage, so that he has like 60 -70-80 amps to work with. he wants to run this to a central area, maybe in a rear cargo hatch who know's

he wants this "box" to come on with the ignition, but we all know the standard rating of a automotive relay is 30-40 amps, he needs an alternative,an example would be on a AC setup "a light switch in a factory capable of 15 amps, turns on a relay box which then in turn, turns on about 200 amps of flurecent lights and a variety of other crap"

now i haven't delt with this in DC, i don't know if they make "relay boxes" such as this, u would commonly find these AC relay boxes at a Lowes or something for use with a thermostat that would control 3-4 zones for heating.

and finally he needs to know how to connect the "circuit breaker's" he's found at that online store to the main 4 guage wiring running to battery, i would be suprised that the same store would not have a box for more then one, this where some ingenuity would be needed

Overcranked23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Blll or Little bill as the case may be it appers that you have hit the nail on the head so to speak!!!!

My fellow frieneds (I can call them that now after the mean things that we said about each other behind our backs) did not pick it up as fast as you did. They also didnt have three pages to read though. it seems like a good idea I still might try it out it was more like a brainstorm gone wrong ya know. wow aent they gonna close this topic. damn newbie topic starters.......LOL                 circuit breaker box - Page 3 -- posted image.

don't fowl the track
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
haha thanks to LittleBill i finally understand what you want.... but yea use a few relays in parallel for greater current requirements or get a bigger relay
mikeshonda750 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Heh like i said, if he would have came out and said "I want to create a remote + location for hooking up anything i choose to be turned on with the ignition" Things woulda went alot better and not been 3 pages long, instead he was asking about a breaker box for his vehicle, which was senseless and wouldnt have done him any good. He also was talking about making it simple when a fuse blows... to simply toss a switch back over and away ya go.... the post is 3pages long not because nobody had a clue in the world what he wanted, it is 3pages long because people wanted him to do the job correctly, and wouldnt give advice on doing a sh*tty job... or wiring up something that they (we) would not wire up for ourselves..... ever... thx and good luck

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic