icon

kicker l7 question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kid777 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Currently I have a kicker 12" l5 in a sealed box with 400w rms going to it. This setup sucks and the sub is the DVC 2ohm version wired for a 4ohm load.  I bought this used and didn't understand the DVC thing etc. I now know i want the 4ohm DVC so i can get a 2ohm load.This is in an expedition

Now heres my question-I'm getting rid of the amp i have regardless. Do i get a 12" l7 4ohm DVC put it in the sealed box i already have wired for a 2ohm load and run about 700w rms to it or should i go bigger and get a 15" l7 new box and run 1000w rms to it

Basically i want something that will shake my truck good. It would be nice if i could still use the kicker sealed box i have but if the 15 will be that much better i'll make it happen

thx

E

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
Why not just keep your 12" L7 that you have and buy an amp that is stable to one ohm. Then you can wire it in parrell and save the cost of getting another sub. Just a thought
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
because he has a L5 correct? if your upgrading your amp you might as well upgrade your sub to the square L7 15" if your intentions are to create some serious shake in your rear.  but if you dont wanna cough up the dough for a 1000 watt amp and would rather go for the 750, the L7 12" would do you justice, but if you do go for the L7 15" i would recomend porting your box as this will make your woofer sound a great deal louder.
Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
Kid777 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
yea its an l5
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
if you can spare it why not go with 2 L7 10s instead of a 12 it would be faster and louder if im not misaken... someone correct me if im wrong
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
im sorry, apperently I cant read. 2 10's would be louder but would require almost double the power which equals way more $$$$$
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
yes... but he did want to go with a 15 L7 and a 1000w amp... so it would cost almost the same depending on where he gets it from
brad123 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

Tell me what kicker stuff you want I have alot of new stuff, the new l7 and amps so let me know and i can get you a price.

Brad

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, do you want to stick with kicker stuff? i mean, if you're gonna be upgrading, im sure theres some stuff that can pound alot better for cheaper.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

You guys have thoroughly confused the issue, no worries though. The original question and statement the poster made is incorrect. He is assuming that he must have a dual 4 ohm coiled sub to run at 2 ohms to get more power. The two subs in question, be it dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm can handle the exact same amount of power. Thus he does not need to change the sub, maybe he just needs a 2 channel amp that produces a maximum of 450watts rms at 4 ohm mono, which his current sub will handle and in fact he lists that he has 400 watts running to it. If he should change the sub to a similar sub with dual 4 ohm coils, then he now needs a mono sub amp that provides 450 watts rms at 2 ohm mono. The exact same thing as what he basically has now. This gets him absolutely nowhere.

If you want to keep the gear that you have, the first thing that you should do is make a big ported box for your sub, this will drastically increase the output of your sub, at the expense of good sound.

Should this not be enough for you in such a large vehicle, then we can look at some alternatives. Open your mind to something other than Kicker and a whole world of opportunities for SPL and SQ will present themselves..

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic