icon

do speaker grills = STEAL ME ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dj baracus 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

i an effort to get in as much (quality) as i can while still retaining the "stock" look...i am confronted with a problem in the rear of my 1989 Honda Accord 4Dr DX...how to mount the rear speakers...

the DX model I have, did not come with rear speakers, thus NO GRILLS...

my plan is to install a pair of Ininity 6.5" coaxials (to match the front) in the rear deck (for rear passengers only). i dont think i should use the included grills b/c i think that would be too much of an invitation....but is was thinking about some average looking grills or make my own...

so, finally my question to everyone is....WOULD ANYTHING OTHER THAN pure STOCK, LOOK CUSTOM, & inviting to thieves??......tHANK yOU

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

well, if you are truely that concerned a guy might steal your 6.5" infinity's then you might consider getting an alarm and just use the infinity grills.  Also, depending on what model of Infinity's you have, you can take the logo off that says infinity, then it will just appear as a black speaker grill. 

Option 2:  Call around to your local junk yards and see if someone has a 4door accord that has rear speakers and purchase the factory backdash that has the grills on it then install that.

You also maybe able to find some generic speaker grills through crutchfield or local vendor that may do just the trick. 

Craig

dj baracus 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

thanks man...im gonna call around....

yeah, (& ironically) its entirely NOT the rear 6.5"s that im worried about, its everything else!....

maybe i just ditch the rear-fill.....screw the tag-aolngs anyway!

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Well if you have other stuff in the car, you should probably get something to protect your investment.

IE an ALARM, but bottom line, is if someone really wants to steal your stuff they will and no alarm or factory panel will stop them.  You may even be in the car when they do it, but at least with an alarm you will deter the idiots that are just looking for the easy score.

Craig

omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Another option is to use whatever grilles you want and just tint the car with the back window(s) at 5% privacy tint. 

Would be theives won't see anything.  The thing is I don't think many theives would simply steal a set of 6.5s or 6x9s or something, but they might try to break in if they see some aftermarket stuff like that, a head unit, etc. because they might just want to get the HU or hope that there are amps/subs for them to steal.

If you don't have an stereo with amps, subs and an expensive HU (which you should remove the faceplate from anyhow) then I'd just go with the tint.

GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
do what I did with an Accord once.
paint the grilles to match the car's interior.. if you're still worried, also remove the infinity plate on teh grilles.. still worried, tint the windows
also buy an alarm.. no excuse not to have an alarm on a car with things to protect.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
accordracer 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
here is an idea I did i while back on an install, just an idea. why dont u make the hole and mount them from the bottom an use a thin cloth to cover the hole having  a factory look like no speakers are there. do speaker grills = STEAL ME ? -- posted image.
tc29s 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

here is an idea. Out of sight, out of mind. So if you can't see it, then you don't think about. But here is a good idea that has worked for me, and still saved my car audio equipment. 1 I went with a car alarm that had a motion sensor (radar) that detects movement outside the car. 2 I also installed a voltage transformer to electrify the door handels, which is like getting hit with a 500,000 volt stun gun. Believe me the person that tried to break into my car, got knocked unconscious, and was arrested. But that's as far as he got. Yes the alarm did go off, but he wasn't going to stop until he got something out, well he got knocked out. Ha, Ha.do speaker grills = STEAL ME ? -- posted image. But even if he got to the inside of the car, all my amp's, speakers, crossovers are mounted with security screws. A theif may carry a prybar, screwdriver, and pliers. But he doesn't carry security tools to take them out. A theif want's to get in, and out, not spend time trying to get loose these screws. Hope this helps

t.c.
dj baracus 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2002 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

thanks to all for the excellent advice!...i think i will try underside mounting them, then covering with a acoustically transparent covering....this will also help re-juvinate the worn & faded rear deck material...

i will paint the grills on my tweeter components in the front though....they are small but do kind of stand out...they're silver against the marroon backdrop of my door.

wow, T.c. thats getting aggressive...i like it! Did paranoia set everytime you would go to get into the car? i know it would for me...i scream like a little girl everytime i get shocked from static elec. in the winter!

bradleonard 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2002 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a 92 Toyota Truck 4WD. I've got a pretty decent JVC deck from about 3 years ago, and some decent mid's and separates, a fosgate amp and a bass tube. My stuff is pretty much middle of the road (although it sounds better than most other yota's out there) but I am thinkin that someone would be interested in my stuff. So I wanted to create the appearance of high security. I installed a good keyless entry system (Ungo KE106) because I like having the benefit of keyless entry, and then I installed one of those 7 LED red scanner lights in the windshield. Since not many people have those LED scanners for some reason(not sure why) it basically creates the appearance of a high quality alarm system. So the moral of the story is, Alarm systems are a huge hassle and they don't really keep criminals out any better than the appearance of good security.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic