icon

Remote start on a manual tranny

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nitroguy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Im thinking about adding remote start on my car but it has a 5spd. Is there any switches or something to prevent my car from starting when its in gear?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
It can be done... with the Clifford stuff, it is all built in! I did it on my '01 Civic, and it is so cool. I press button 8 on my remote, turn off the ignition (engine stays running), open the door, get out, close the door, arm the system, (engine turns off). If the alarm is triggered, (but not just a warn away) it WILL NOT remote start, but if it never does, the alarm brain knows the car is not in gear, (because of the above sequence of steps), and will start when I press button 8 on my remote. I can even leave my windows open, or control them with the Clifford SmartWindows, and as long as there is no triggering of the alarm, the car will start. I do not know of any other manufacturer that allows remote start on manual trannies. If there is no absolute fail-safe on the remote start brain like the above, it will ALWAYS be possible for the alarm to try to start the car, whether it is gear or not. This will be a bigger liability to you than I think you want to have.
Do I sometimes sound like a commercial for the products I own? Remote start on a manual tranny -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ridnlow 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

A friend of mine Installed a Audiovox APC995C on his truck which is a 5 speed.  He just bypassed the clutch.. big mistake.. Hes got a toggle swtich on his dash however that can allow the truck to start or not...  One day we were at a gas station inside eating (it has a krystals inside) and we were leaving.. he hit the remote start (it was in gear) and the truck came and joined us inside the building.. so be careful if you decide to bypass the clutch.. That clifford alarm sounds like the way to go...

icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
holy crap, that sucks.....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it can be done, there are many remote starters that are designed for manual transmissions.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
there is a SAFE way to do it....but you have to install a safety switch which bypasses the clutch only when the gear shifter is in neutral.  if the shifter is not in neutral then the relay for the clutch engages and the clutch has to be pussed in for remote start. as for the switch on the shifter....there are a number of ways to do it....ground when in neutral, or magnetic reed switch when in neutral.....do some research on the web and see what you find.
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
Remote start on a manual tranny -- posted image.
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Peripheral Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) is a switch which will do ur work. I also want to install alarm on my 86 4runner (5speed) but still havent decided which one. Someone recommended me omega max with this NSS.
Haemphyst, what model is this clifford unit? is it a remote start and alarm combo?
Nitroguy, I have the manual for this NSS (pdf), I can send it to u if ur interested.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
It is a Concept 550,(G5) Intellistart,(G5) and SmartWindows (G4). It also has a module for interfacing with the transponders in todays' cars. I also ordered the CliffNet Wizard, which allows me to hook my PC to the brain(s), and program EVERY parameter, from siren sounds to how long the engine cranks, to temperature monitoring for the SmartWindows and Intellistart, to remapping buttons on the 5 button, 12 channel remote... Kewl Gear! One of the better features of the Clifford stuff is the CliffNet where all there is, is a digital cable to connect all of the brains together, and all you have to do is interface the stuff with the car. If you want to look at the software, you can download it, install it, and look at the control here: http://www.clifford.com/g5/wizard/download/Wiz210.EXE Check it out, and you'll see why I love the Clifford gear...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
If you work for a major retail store..this is out the question.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
nitroguy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

Does the Clifford 3.5 do the same things as the Clifford G5?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic