icon

Alpine Type-R or Infinity Kappa Perfect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
The only thing bose has done in home stereo thats any good as far as I am concerened, is the old bose 901's and the Bose 3 2 1 system. That little system is an amazing feat of acoustical engineering as far as I am concerened. To be able to get full suround sound outta just 2 speakers and a sub, and be able to do it in just about any type of room, to me is amazing.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat, I think you misunderstood. The new bose speakers are not 2 spearker + sub. They are 5 channel Plus sub and they sound great. I went to a Bose demo a few weeks ago in Maine. I must say that it was not an inferior system at all. Highs, lows and mids were all superb. I don't think anyone would pay that much for something not worthwhile. Did you hear the Lifestyle 35 Home systems? Only positives. The only negative is the price! I love my infinity home system (I have the 1000 watt subwoofer) with the entire system but would still prefer the Bose. They also had a sub in cross section with plexiglass kind of substance so you could see what happens inside. It had little polysterene pellets (styrofoam) that showed teh wave pattern of the low frequencies as you turned down the bass frequency. Cool stuff. Even the way they did the demo was very cool. You got to see it to believe it. Me and my friends thought it was really cool. If I had the money, I would have bought one right then.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
No I think you missunderstood me. I sell bose systems so I have heard almost all of them. The 3 2 1 system is a base unit with two speakers and a sub that gives you full suround sound that is really quite amazing. As for all the other systems they make I think they are overpriced garbage. I truly hate the sound of them with a passion. As I said before, No Highs No Lows Must be Bose. The tower speakers have become nice plant stands and thats it, and I think that the cubes, while pretty amazing for the size, are severly overpriced. I sell Athena Speakers as well and for the price of the acoustimas ten system I can get a set of Front Towers, Rear Book shelf, matching center channel and a ten inch matching sub that expose the bose for what they are. A status symbol with only one purpose. People who want surround sound but are unwilling or unable to give up any space in their house. I had to help a customer out on Sunday because all the salesman were busy and he wanted to hear a set of 601 towers. He came in decided on these towers so I let him buy them but I felt dirty the rest of the day. Not dirty like I need a shower but dirty like I need to go to church to confess. As you can tell I am not a bose fan what so ever, and its not for lack of knowleadge. I have been dealing with home and car audio for 5 years, worked for 2 seperate companies and have sold probally between 15-20 different companies including Infinity, polk, jbl, bose, Cerwin Vega, Athena, AR, and Dalhiquest and I can honestly say that even though I tried to liek them I just cant recomend bose to anyone who isnt deaf.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat wrote:
I truly hate the sound of them with a passion. As I said before, No Highs No Lows Must be Bose.
Wonder what makes you hate them so much. Are they really that bad? I had a quite a few people who thought these were great systems. Well you have a right to your opinions too.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
No I think you missunderstood me. I sell bose systems so I have heard almost all of them. The 3 2 1 system is a base unit with two speakers and a sub that gives you full suround sound that is really quite amazing. As for all the other systems they make I think they are overpriced garbage. I truly hate the sound of them with a passion. As I said before, No Highs No Lows Must be Bose. The tower speakers have become nice plant stands and thats it, and I think that the cubes, while pretty amazing for the size, are severly overpriced. I sell Athena Speakers as well and for the price of the acoustimas ten system I can get a set of Front Towers, Rear Book shelf, matching center channel and a ten inch matching sub that expose the bose for what they are. A status symbol with only one purpose. People who want surround sound but are unwilling or unable to give up any space in their house. I had to help a customer out on Sunday because all the salesman were busy and he wanted to hear a set of 601 towers. He came in decided on these towers so I let him buy them but I felt dirty the rest of the day. Not dirty like I need a shower but dirty like I need to go to church to confess. As you can tell I am not a bose fan what so ever, and its not for lack of knowleadge. I have been dealing with home and car audio for 5 years, worked for 2 seperate companies and have sold probally between 15-20 different companies including Infinity, polk, jbl, bose, Cerwin Vega, Athena, AR, and Dalhiquest and I can honestly say that even though I tried to liek them I just cant recomend bose to anyone who isnt deaf.

I AGREE!!!! no highs no lows must be bose is true. I mean come on, they all paper drivers in their cube speakers and in walls and pretty much everything else they make besides their tower speakers. when you buy bose you pay for the name. If you want some good speakers that are cheap look at B&W (I own a pair of their bookshelf speakers and they are great), Paradigm, Athena, and Infinity just to name a few. All of these brands could blow bose out the window. You may think bose sounds good at the store but im sure you would change your mind if you took your infinity speakers (or any other similarily priced good speakers) and compared them to a bose lifestyle system the bose would sound like tin cans. markcars I would definitely stay with your Infinity system.

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
hey customsuburb, you really make me feel good about having my Infinity system. I just love it but till today was hoping to buy the Bose when I can afford to save a few more (lot more really) dollars. I have a complete Infinity system with powered speakers, sub of 1000 watts that I can never put even at 5% its capacity without annoying people. Now after reading your post, I think I am the happiest man in my building if not in New York! I am staying with Infinity.    How about the car scenario? Are they(bose) good at car speakers? I have a friend who has a factory system in a special edition 2 door Acura. He says he thinks his system is the best(best being objective). Are bose not any good in the car arena as well? Would be good to know.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Bose car speakers are just a step above oem. You alpine car system could blow away your friends bose system as well. Take a look at these bose  speakers from an RSX (I think). I think they look like regular oem speakers to me (and sound like them).
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Bose - no highs - no lows - must be Bose. If your friend is up for a little experiment and does not mind the extreme amounts of either anger or tears that will be shed, have him pull apart the door speakers and pull out the bottom of the line paper cone doorstops with dinky little amplifiers to make them operate. Bose builds the amps for these systems and uses bottom feeder paper cone speakers with stamped steel baskets in most cases. You should have seen what came out of the new Mazda RX8 and Acura RSX we just worked on, garbage at it's finest. Just because a "name" that is highly recognized in whatever arena it is familiar from does not mean that it is a star in the car audio world. Bose has contracts with the vehicle manufacturers, one day they hopefully will come to an end. Here is what to do when confronted with Bose. Put on rubber gloves. Lift lid on trash can, carefully pick up Bose equipment, put on driveway, drive over with as large a vehicle as possible, burn the ashes, place in trash can, replace lid. Be carefull that no item tries to make a break for it. The same practice goes for factory JBL / Infinity systems. They have no place in the real car audio marketplace.  Ever wondered why you cannot buy Bose car audio on stores or why the stores do not sell the same factory gear as found in the stock vehicle, even though you just paid $4000.00 for the stereo upgrade? Dude I could go off here, like totally, but I'll bite my tongue a little. As far as the home audio goes, if you take that Bose system and compare it to a true audio system, you will hear a drastic difference in sound performance any day of the week. Bose is usually sold all on its own where it cannot be compared to others, part of how the brand is marketed. Bose is a name that is now synonimous with being a "upper end" audio system when the fact is it has always been far from it. Those old Bose 901's, if they sounded so damn good, then why did you have to buy the Bose eq to go with them? Because that was the only way you could get somewhat respectable sound out of them. Bose = garbage, hell I like Sony more than Bose and I can't stand Sony.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well I have ALL Alpine (literally all except the cables which I paid nearly $300 for three pairs of RCA's) in my vehicle. Just was wondering if bose was better. I won't change my setup if that is the case. I was wondering why in the hell I could not find Bose aftermarket speakers and amps. Short and to the point, I am keeping my setup. So back to the original poster's question, which is better, Alpine Type-R or Infinity Kappa?
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
yes please ... back to the origional question.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic