icon

Could someone help me with orange peel?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stormshadow 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
It's a system that uses a motor similar to a vacume cleaner, only the air discharge is used instead of the intake. The air it produces is hot as a result of friction, this means there is no water in the air. The only problem with these systems is that the product being applied, especially laquer based products, can dry too fast and produce a blushing effect.
To be honest it sounds like you used a solvent base coat and a latex clear coat.
If there is no paint incompatability then it is possible that there was somthing on the surface of the problem piece that caused the paint to separate. Oil, for instance, can suspend in air and leave a film that is unnoticeable untill you apply your product. It is allways a good idea to wipe the piece, with whatever cleaning agent is reccomended, just prior to spraying.
I hope this helped.
Regards,
Stormshadow
hitman66 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
I did wipe the surface clean before I sprayed and they recommended this clear for the paint.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Try using TESTORS model paint. it comes in little spray cans and they make a clear. I did my whole box with it and a local audio store thought i had it painted professionaly.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
stormshadow 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
It's also possible that you just got a bad can of paint. There may have been a problem with the mix that they put in the can you bought, rare but it can happen.
Best of luck.
Stormshadow
d_arnold 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

what you are getting is not orange peel.  Orange peel occurs when Clear Coat does not atomize properly (too much or not enough air is mixed with the clear at the tip of you spray gun).   It's not really possible to get out of a spray can.  The reply about incompatible products if correct.  It sounds like your primer or base coat or both is a lacquer base and your clear may be Polyurethane base. 

Buying an air compressor a gun and real polyurethane base product can get very expensive.  You can get an okay finish with spray cans.  Try sanding it down make sure you remove everything.  Sand project to 400 grit. Clean with a prep-sol or similiar product.  Use products that are all the same brand.  Primer, base, and clear.  (ie.  krylon,  plasticoat) 

**note  always pick a flat base****

even if the cans are not labeled with what they are based with normally if you use the same brand they are made the same.

Wet sand primer with 600-800 grit

apply base 2-3 coats let dry 15 minutes with most flat paints 70 degree weather

wipe with tack cloth

apply 2-3 medium wet coats of clear  allow 5-10 minutes of flash drying time inbetween coats again about 70 degrees is good

be carefull not to run the clear.  If you do it not the worst after 48 hours you can wet sand the run with 2000 grit paper and buff haze away with a rubbing compound.  That goes for any bugs, lint or dirt that tends to find its way on your project.

hope this helps I've been in the same place many times.

xavierny25 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

this had happened to me not to long ago.what ur problem is that a chemical in one off ur primers or paints didnt mix very well with the clear coatt hat s y i try to stay with a good brand and stay with it.what i did to fix this was start all over.sand it back to just about the bondo or resen and do it once again.hope this helps.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic