the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what are some of the better subs for SQ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

I asked a very similar question to the original poster a few months ago, when I was looking for a single 10" that would play nice SQ.  The anwsers I was getting, and the subs I subsequently did research on were Eclipse Alumium, MB Quart PWE, and the Diamond Audio D3 or D5. 

I went with the MBQ, but the only reason it happened that way was becasue I got a really good deal on it.  My second choice would have been the D5.  The Eclipse is probably the best sub out of the 3, but it requires a sligtly bigger box...and as I have a small hatchback car, this is a major consideration for me. 

I dont know what type of car you have...but I can say that the above 3 subs are all top shelf, and are highly recomenrded by many members of this and other audio forums. 

-a

1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:
As Dr. Kipple, David Clark, and several other prominent engineers have shown, 70% of the distortion you hear in a driver comes from a nonlinear BL curve.  The rest comes from Cms nonlinearities over excursion (suspension stiffness changing causing about 23% of the distortion you hear), and Le (inductance) distortion (transient errors from high inductance)
This is starting to get a little on the esoteric side, but I think it has value.
As both a end user and a manufacturer of finished cabinets (though not for the mobile market) I completely agree with your assessment. The driver does play a huge part in the sound, but the sound of a particular driver, all other things being equal, will be less of a factor than the sound of the box's tuning if the latter is a mess. You can easily take the best driver in the world and completely ruin it's transient response, group delay, and frequency response with a mistuned enclosure, which will very likely mask BL and Le nonlinearity completely (see "one note boom boxes in Plymouth Horizons" what are some of the better subs for SQ? - Page 2 -- posted image.). The correlary is that a well designed enclosure with highly optimized tuning can make an otherwise pedestrian driver work extremely well. I pretty much proved this to a nonbeliever friend of mine when I built a box for his noname 12" that not only had a proper Q, but was braced sufficiently and was not placed where it would generate large modes and nodes in his truck as readily as it's former location.
Regarding the XBL^2 technology, I really hope you guys get to license it to more OEMs, since what it does for BL is really cool. I'd use the Koda 6.5" in a heartbeat if I could make it fit into my overstuffed doors (2.25" mounting depth avail). The larger woofers are also exciting, but too deep for my applications right now.
Brown-nosing aside, I think in the grand scheme we're both right depending on the particular situation. There are crappy drivers in good boxes, good drivers in crappy boxes, good drivers in good boxes and bad drivers in bad boxes, and the source of any objectionable sounds is easily pinned on either component, without even mentioning the condition of the vehicle.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

dpaton wrote:
Regarding the XBL^2 technology, I really hope you guys get to license it to more OEMs, since what it does for BL is really cool. I'd use the Koda 6.5" in a heartbeat if I could make it fit into my overstuffed doors (2.25" mounting depth avail). The larger woofers are also exciting, but too deep for my applications right now.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  We actually have quite a few companies interested in it, or already using it.  The last time I counted, I believe 5 build houses were building drivers with it.

Wow, 2.25" isn't much.  That must really limit your choices.  Good luck finding a good one for your needs. 

dpaton wrote:
Brown-nosing aside, I think in the grand scheme we're both right depending on the particular situation. There are crappy drivers in good boxes, good drivers in crappy boxes, good drivers in good boxes and bad drivers in bad boxes, and the source of any objectionable sounds is easily pinned on either component, without even mentioning the condition of the vehicle.
-dave

I guess I'm a little skeptical still about the box thing.  In car audio, the Qtc. can vary by a decent amount with very little audible difference.  Basically, you can take one of these low distortion drivers and make it sound like one's with distortion.  But you can never take the lesser driver and make it sound like the driver with no distortion.  That's why I feel that speaker selection is slightly more important than the enclosure.  On something as questionable as this topic though, I usually try to ask my boss what he thinks as well.  After all, he has WAY more knowledge and experience about this than any of us.  He seems to concur with my position.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:
Wow, 2.25" isn't much.  That must really limit your choices.  Good luck finding a good one for your needs. 
Indeed it does. Right now I have some Infinity components in the doors after major surgery, and they're almost touching the outside bodywork. An Extremis 6 is right out, much to my chagrin. I'm waiting for a miracle to make the XBL^2 motors as shallow as a conventional one. Not likely, I know.
Steven Kephart wrote:
Basically, you can take one of these low distortion drivers and make it sound like one's with distortion.  But you can never take the lesser driver and make it sound like the driver with no distortion.
If you put lipstick on a chicken, it's still a chicken. No argument here. If you have an average driver, it's easy to screw up the enclosure and make it sound awful. Since things like XBL^2 and JL's (efficiency-robbing) techniques for BL leveling are uncommon in the general market (W6/7, Koda/Brahma/Tumult vs MTX, Infinity, Directed, Zapco, Pyle, Kicker, et al), there's a lot more of the "average driver in a bad box" thing going on than there should be. If everyone had the knowledge and cash to choose a better driver the only hard part would be a good box, which isn't that hard if you spend a little time on it. Given a good driver in a proper box, it operates at a level (SQ) that's unmatchable by the pedestrian drivers that dominate the market, even if their boxes are tuned better. I still believe that the "average driver in a good box" thing is an 80% solution, and it's realistic to assume that with good power, a good box, a little EQ and a good environment, that that average driver in the good box can do sufficiently well to make folks happy.
As far as who's right, we can go back and forth for days on this and still both have valid points. I'm going to call it close enough for now.
Side note: Most of the local guys who make boxes run the datasheet numbers through BassBox or something and figure that's all that's required, box dampening, measured specs, and cabin gain be damned. Ignoring cabin gain is one of the biggest omissions I can think of, short of mistuning the box. Both absolutely ruins what could be a very flat response. Ugh.
Steven Kephart wrote:
On something as questionable as this topic though, I usually try to ask my boss what he thinks as well.  After all, he has WAY more knowledge and experience about this than any of us.  He seems to concur with my position.
Just out of curiosity, would that be Dr. Dave? what are some of the better subs for SQ? - Page 2 -- posted image. It's been a while since I actually chatted with him or Dan...around the time when the Shiva was originally designed for the BassList crew. I've been following from the sidelines ever since tho.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

Back to the lecture at hand...

Fugit- play around wiht the orientation of your sub-box, try all different positions and directions.  I had the exact same "distant" sound at first, but I moved the box around side to side and front to back, and faced the sub all over the place and found it sounded the best tight against the back seat facing inside, it was not the loudest position, but it sounded the best.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

dpaton wrote:
Indeed it does. Right now I have some Infinity components in the doors after major surgery, and they're almost touching the outside bodywork. An Extremis 6 is right out, much to my chagrin. I'm waiting for a miracle to make the XBL^2 motors as shallow as a conventional one. Not likely, I know. 

Haha, yeah the Extremis 6 is a bit deep.  But then you just can't make a driver that can move 1/2" linear one way shallow.  Resonant Engineering is coming out with the RE components which uses a 6" XBL^2 driver with only 6mm or throw and is supposed to be shallower than the Koda.  I will have to find out how deep it is later.  XBL^2 actually offers a shallower mount for a given excursion, it's just that thus far everyone has been focusing on the other extreme; huge excursion capability.

dpaton wrote:
If you put lipstick on a chicken, it's still a chicken. No argument here. If you have an average driver, it's easy to screw up the enclosure and make it sound awful. Since things like XBL^2 and JL's (efficiency-robbing) techniques for BL leveling are uncommon in the general market (W6/7, Koda/Brahma/Tumult vs MTX, Infinity, Directed, Zapco, Pyle, Kicker, et al), there's a lot more of the "average driver in a bad box" thing going on than there should be. If everyone had the knowledge and cash to choose a better driver the only hard part would be a good box, which isn't that hard if you spend a little time on it. Given a good driver in a proper box, it operates at a level (SQ) that's unmatchable by the pedestrian drivers that dominate the market, even if their boxes are tuned better. I still believe that the "average driver in a good box" thing is an 80% solution, and it's realistic to assume that with good power, a good box, a little EQ and a good environment, that that average driver in the good box can do sufficiently well to make folks happy.

You are absolutely right.  Even if they only have 80%, most likely to them they have 100% and are perfectly happy.  I more recomend these "special" drivers in areas where the user is looking for the best SQ.

dpaton wrote:
As far as who's right, we can go back and forth for days on this and still both have valid points. I'm going to call it close enough for now.   

That sounds good.  I figure I'm out of my league here anyway.  After all, you have the EE degree.  I'm just a lowly shipping boy at a small speaker manufacturer.  I actually discussed this with Dyon not too long ago.  Our conclusion was that it's all a matter of perspective.  And I would change my perspective if it wasn't for Dan Wiggins telling me that he feels that the driver selection is slightly more important.  His opinion holds a great deal of weight with me.  After all, everyone who has gone toe to toe with him in arguments that I have seen have failed.  This includes Richard Clark.

dpaton wrote:
Just out of curiosity, would that be Dr. Dave? what are some of the better subs for SQ? - Page 2 -- posted image. It's been a while since I actually chatted with him or Dan...around the time when the Shiva was originally designed for the BassList crew. I've been following from the sidelines ever since tho.
-dave

No, unfortunately Dr. Dave doesn't come into Adire much.  He works at the local colledge in the biology department.  And any projects he does for Adire, he does at home and just sends them to Dan.  So I get to spend a lot of time with Dan, but very little with Dave.  But I hear that is changing soon.

On another side topic (sorry to the original poster), have you seen our Arachnid spider yet?  It was the spring suspension shown on the Parthanon.  I can give you the full details if you would like.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

Although I have never (yet) used an Adire driver in an automotive application, I can very happily vouch for their home theatre woofers (specificly the Tumult.)  If the Brahma or Shiva sounds half as good, it should be a serious competitor for any application.

Now as far as drivers i am familiar with, on the lower-cost end I recomend Infinity's Kappa Perfect.  I run a 12" in my personal car.  Image Dynamics and Resonant subs are also very clean and compete with the Infinity on price.  As we move up the cost structure a bit, I really like the sound of the Eclipse drivers and also of the Planet Audio Neo series.  The best sounding (to me) car sub I've heard lately is the JBL GTi series.

Support the12volt.com
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
So a decent driver in a "good box" should be enough.  If a sealed box is recommended, what would make a good sealed box for SQ?  I don't know alot, but if you make the box the volume recommended and use the correct amount of polyfil, seal it nice and tight how can you screw that up?  I'm still new to this, so if I sound dumb it's because I am in this area.
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

I recomend you do some homework.  Visit the sites below and read through the sections on designing and building sealed enclosures.  Come back here and ask questions after you've done this and we can help you out!  Also, once you decide on your driver (speaker) let us know and we can help you decide what size is best for it.  Cheers.

www.diysubwoofers.org, www.bcae1.com, http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=236, http://www.termpro.com/articles/buildbox.html

Support the12volt.com
ripped 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Jl Audio W7" have awsome clearity to there subs!!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic