One sub or two?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swede 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

Why do most systems have 2 subs?

Yes I realize there are those that have to have 15, but lets talk about the living here.....

I have an ideal location for just 1 sub. I have had 2 in the past, but never really considered.....WHY?

Thanks.One sub or two? -- posted image.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think that it is a must to have 2 subs or more at all, i think it is the trend, but definitely not a must. Personally I went for two subs because of the symmetry you get with two subs, so I guess for me it is about looks.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Multiple driver systems is both a trend invented by retailers and speaker companies to increase sales dollars, and a necessity for those trying to generate higher SPL numbers.  A dual speaker setup will produce about 3db more than a single of the same speaker.  Is it "necessary?"  Not in the least.  A single sub is all that is required to provide low-bass sound reinforcement.
Support the12volt.com
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks very much.

I can be at peace now knowing I am complete and one with the world with my one sub. One sub or two? -- posted image.

Its a Boston Pro 12.5 .....so I would hope it would suffice.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
I cannot recall ever hearing a Boston Pro 12.5, but i have heard other Boston subs and some of them sounded very good.  Yeah, i agree with everyone two subs is a gimic.  You have two speakers everywhere else so its a no brainer you NEED two subwoofers.  Right.  My advice has always been to buy one really good sub, rather then two cheaper ones.  Its not about quanity, its about quality.
vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Hi this is the devil speaking for the car audio industry, you will buy two subs and you will like it. One sub or two? -- posted image.. Haha, dude just go with whatever you want and think you'll like, i wont say you can never go wrong that way but i can say atleast you'll learn wether or not you like it your self. Good Luck.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
^ now that was funny....
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

Oh....its only the devil. For a minute there I thought it was the RIAA.

They're worse. One sub or two? -- posted image.

Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
shredder130 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, you have to die for the devil to make your life hell
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Just feed the sub the proper power, and put it in the proper box and you will be way happyer than 2 subs crammed into box's too small for them, and not very much power being supplied to them.

Iv been running 1 12" for a few months now, , its plenty off bass, shakes the ground, and has no phase issues with interfeering subs around it.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic