icon

Power supply for bench testing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chappy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I want to set up a power supply so that I can bench test amps and head units in my garage. I would also like to be able to use one of my spare head units as a stereo in my garage. How many amps does the power supply need to be able to produce?
Imagination and drive are the keys to greatness.
2000' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
zane9000 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
take the rms wattage of the largest amp you want to test and divide by 12.
I had Cheetos and wine for dinenr.
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. so if I was going to use a 1000 watt amp I would need a power supply that produced at least 84 amps?
Chappy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

There is no need to worry about having a power supply that produced too many amps right?

zane9000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

exactly (to both posts). if you can find it get a 100 amp supply. that should do just about whatever you need. and whatever you are pluging in will only take the amount of current that it requires.

however finding a 100amp or even 84amp supply is going to be extremly hard to do (or atleast exteremly expensive Power supply for bench testing -- posted image.). my radioshack carrys up to about 25 amps and i think they run around $100. also keep in mind that if you cant find a supply large enough you can always buy multiple supplies (i.e. 4 25amp supplys) and hook in them in parallel to get the right amound of amps.

good luck,

Warren

p.s. it may just be easier to get some really long (and high quality)  jumper cables and run from your battery to your workbench (assuming your workbench is in the garage). if you do this just make sure to keep your car running the whole time your testing you may not be able to start it later.

azidrane 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

Is there no better way to do this?

I'm trying to set one up in my install bay for testing decks and amps and so on, that get returned to the shop (we have a real lax return policy) so that they can or cannot be resold. To many times the customers tell customer service that they just didnt like it, when they actually blew some piece of it that you cant see. Then we resell them and people just get ticked off when they dont work. I've tried to setup a few things, but I like the first guy, I cant find anything with enough current to support the types of systems we'll be testing out. I cant have a car sitting in my install bay all the time, so I've been looking for a good inverter to use, but with no luck.

Anyone with some good suggestions or answers?

zane9000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  

get four of these and wire the outputs in parallel. that will give you 1200watts to work with. it will cost your store $400. i have looked around a bit sice i made my last post and could really find anything that would be any better options for you. on the up side this particular supply does not use large coils to to the power transformations so its not THAT big and heavy. bolting four of them underneth a work table or somthing is certainaly doable. sorry if this was kinda rambling, but thats how i am.

~Warren say boolashacka to you!

insanity 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
How about savin some $'s and just using a deep cycle battery and an inexpensive charger... You can run the charger while in the shop to keep battery topped off.... My test bench plays music for my shop all day and no problems with testing anything!!!
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
Parts Express carries a 40A cont / 50A surge power supply. Here is a link:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=120-558
I also see this same one on ebay right now brand new for almost $40 cheaper. I personally use the same one zane posted at home. Works fine for bench testing stuff.. Remember just to bench test things doesn't mean you have to run them full power or anything. The battery and charger option is another way to go like insanity posted. Good luck,
Mike
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

NowYaKnow is exactly right:   Even a 1000 watt amp isn't going to be pulling close to 40-50 amps unless you're pushing it.  A smaller supply will work just fine.  I had 2 150w amps on a bench, turned it up fairly loud enough to see they were working fine, and together they weren't even pushing 15 amps.  I wish I would have saved myself some money and gone with a smaller supply.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic