icon

Power supply for bench testing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
You know Metra's Install Bay accessories include a high current bench tester. I think it is 100-150A, and runs about $200 dealer cost. Runs of 120VAC, too.
Worth a shot....
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Would a computer power supply work??
Paul
beaker 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

yes and no, i was using an old AT power supply and it worked great for testing radios but as soon as i put an amp to it and turned it up it  would clip.  i had a realy small power supply though.  if you go with a newer and bigger ATX power supply you wil be able to turn it up more but after a certain point it will start to clip again.  but for test purposes it will work fine.  you have to trick the ATX into thinking it has a load on it so it will turn on.    not tricking needed for an AT.  here is the lay out for the AT  if i can find my ATX one i will post it.  should work fine for testing as long as you are not trying to rattle the shop.

AT style motherboard, new ATX motherboards use different connector

1.      Power Good (output from PS which tells that output voltages are OK)2.      +5Vdc3.      +12Vdc4.      -12Vdc5.      Ground6.      Ground7.      Ground8.      Ground9.      -5Vdc10.     +5Vdc11.     +5Vdc12.     +5Vdc
-Individuality-
Always remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.
insanity 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
car battery and small cheap charger... shudnt run you more than $150 or less if you find a freebie battery!!
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Power supply for bench testing - Page 2 -- posted image.
What would I use, and where??
Paul
beaker 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

conect the ps-on (pin 14) to any ground this turns it on.  on some atx power supplies you have to put a load on the power supply so you can do this by just putting your radio on it power for the radio is supplye by the +12v (pin 10) and any ground pin. 

-Individuality-
Always remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
this wouldnt be practical for testing many HU's and certainly not capable of realistically testing most power amps.... you need a minimum of 5-10 amps regulated current to test most HU's and at least about 25 amps to test most power amps.... we use 3)50 and 2)100 amp regulated supplies here and they aren't cheap... ( at least for good quality ones ) ( i'm talking hundreds of dollars each )  look at companies like Tripp-lite or Stabylex to name a few.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
insanity 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
3 x 50 = 150... 2 x 100 = 200... lets see if my addition is correct... you have 350 amps worth of power supply to do bench testing of equipment??? am i the only one in here that doesnt see the point of spending..... ummm, over $1000 for a test bench power supply??? even if you buy new... optima battery = $150... 4 amp battery minder $99.99 so worst case ur lookin at $250.. if ur not lookin to power your spl vehicle off external power why would you need more than that?????
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
Francious70,
   No, it wouldn't -- not nearly enough current for amps. Otherwise, I do use a computer power supply for testing headunits, monitors, video amps, and light setups. Seems to work ok. I even powered a PS2, which requires about 3.5 amps.
DXAV
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

because you need this regulated current available at all times when testing amps... you need a stable supply voltage to properly test power amps, ( and a battery strapped to a battery charger-to make no mention of the nasty 60 cycle hum you'll probably get -  is NOT a stable supply )       if you are just looking to rig up a cheap backyard mechanic setup then get a cheap Circuit Test 10 amp supply and be done with it......these power supplies of ours are spread over different benches, some in service, some in install....and as i mentioned, the good one aren't cheap

but if you are testing a monster PPI or PG or Alpine amp, you'll need this type of current at hand.....

a computer power supply might give you enough juice to test a low power radio without problems....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic