icon

Can a Thief Open the Trunk?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Teken and Sroth140 have the right answer. Stealth is the way to go, and do not advertise. I made the mistake of parking my Jeep Grand Cherokee on the street one night, and saw two cars stop in front of the house, they looked into the hatch and in the front and took off down the street not touching my Jeep, gotta love the stealthbox :) I was glad not to be one of the people that had stuff stolen that night on my street. Even full coverage insurance has a deductible on glass, so you are still out money if the p***ks break your window. If they want the stuff that bad, they are going to get it. The alarm is simply a deterrant Ivanca.
Tim-May!
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
I must say that a few of these posts are some of the most prophetic words to live by.  DONT advertise... i.e.  manufacturer stickers from hell to breakfast covering every window and fender.  If you want a show car, build a show car, and lock it in a vault when its not showing.  Daily drivers are supposed to be inconspicuous(I think thats how you spell that f****ng word).  Dont tell anyone what you have in your ride.  In my experiences, 95% of the time your s**t gets jacked, it was by somone you know.  They have the best access to the knowledge, what is where, how its put in, and how the security system is configured.  I am a firm believer that any mobile electronics product can be disguised or hidden.  I have put alarms inside of heater boxes, inside of seatbacks, taken old OEM ECM's and gutted them to put equipment in, then place under dash, who in their right mind would think or look twice at a box that said manufactured in mexico, assembled in taichi or some far off land, and they would waste valuable time looking for something that if it was a punter, would kick the snot right out of their noses.  To a theif, Time is the Enemy.  If you spend more than 15-20 seconds on a rip and jerk job, they are not a very good theif.  And for reference, anyone with a small amount of mechanical inclination, and some determination, can slim jim a door in less than 10 seconds, especially if you know the car you are going to hit, you go to the salvage yard, pop off a door panel, find the appropriate mechinisms, and practice for a few minutes...Bang your done.  given a chance to look inside a door, there is not a door on a car on the road that I cannot open.  Its just a good thing that I am on the side of Good and not Evil.  But I digress, back to what these fine fellows were saying.  Be smart, dont boast your setup to all the homies on the corner unless you sleep in it with a .357 and a 165 lb. Rott named Miko.  which by the way i have done once or twice....And visual deterents are a fifty fifty shot.  They will scare some away, but some think, "if hes showing that hes got a badass alarm, it must be guarding something equally badass"  then they plan for your s**t.  so just be smart and dont go overboard. 
If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic