icon

amp suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pudamobile 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone! I have a quick question. I have a pair of JL Audio 8w3s with Dual 6 ohm voice coils and a 12w3 with dual 6 ohm voice coils, I want to run them all off the same amp, and the way I'm going to run them the amp will see a 4 ohm load. Seeing as the 8w3s handle 125 watts RMS and the 12w3 can handle 250 RMS (although I've heard that JL's subs can handle alot more), what kind of amp should I get and how big? I want decent quality and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get it. Thanks for your time guys!
rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
personally i would get two small amps since the frequency response of the subs are differeny. plus you could run the 8"s in stereo and the 12 in mono
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to know how you think you're going to achieve a 4-ohm net load... unless you're building a pretty sophisticated passive crossover network with impedence shifting coils...
Support the12volt.com
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
go with rknj01 and split them up on two different amps , mostly because of frequency issues. I wouldnt even worry about wattage now because like you said , they can handle alot more. If you put the 8s and a 12 on the same amp output , you may get frequency cancellation and end up with less bass than you intended. Remember , sometimes less is more
pudamobile 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
I think I might go with 2 smaller amps, but as for how i figured a 4 ohm load...I referred to the JL Audio's Data sheet for their subs... http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W3_MAN.pdf on page 2 it says "W3 Voice Coils In Series" and then it has one sub, 2 subs, and 3 subs in series. I will have 3 subs and according to JL by wiring the voice coils in that way I'll be presenting my amp with a 4 ohm load off my 3 6 ohm DVC subs...I'm kind of a newbie to DVC subs but I'd expect JL Audio to know what they are doing. Thanks Guys
djdirtysouf 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

hey wats up yall!!!

can somone answer this question?

i have 2  12' rockford fosgate punch HE2's DVC 4ohm each woofer . Okay

i was wondering wat would match this perfect? i was thinking a rockford fosgate 801S Amp??

would that match it perfect? and sound great!!!?? email me or reply thanks yall

Rockford Fosgate
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
pudamobile..........thanks for the link to the JLaudio dvc wiring diagram. It might help solve some dvc issues ive had before.
pudamobile 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
no problem, I'm fairly new to the DVC world and especially JL DVCs so I decided the best place to look is right on their site, Glad I could be of help
pudamobile 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
djdirtysouf, what are the stats for those subs?
pudamobile 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=39744&item=5723646466&rd=1 would I be able to use an amp like this to power the 12w3 bridged and then use the other 2 channels to push the 8w3s? thanks all!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic