icon

Low End Audio Experiences

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ok ... lol ... Well someboy dig up a picture of the wall socket test PLEASE. I am dying for a good laugh that will make me $hit myself.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
If you guys do the wall socket test, keep in mind that it will most likely blow the circuit breaker unless the speaker is 8 ohms or you have like a 35A or more breaker to the socket you use.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
boostedcivic 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah I think alphasonik falls on the list, I saw a sub/amp combo at pep boys next to the sony head units.

Jason

Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

Volfenhag....HAHAHA....OK...if you have never heard these subs...heres what you do..take a decent sub say an MTX 4000 or so and Super glue a tin Pie Pan to it then play it...The sound they produce is so horrid....I have tried to make these subs sound good...Cant be done.....

Oh yeah and the wall test thing..funny as hell.....We did a Kove Armageddon ZM-15D 15" Sub.....In a J Port box that was built to spec for the sub....Sounded great...Loud as hell for about 12 seconds...Then all the factory smoke came out and the show was over...

Low End Audio Experiences - Page 2 -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  
God i love it! Any more?
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
My next door neighbour in a desperate bid to out-loud me (though my system is based on SQ not volume, it still gets pretty loud) decided to buy 5 times the wattage at 1/5th of the price. While driving down the road he was showing it off, my ears were been raped by high frequency distortion. His Pyle amp and Pyle speakers all burst into flames at the same time and smoke poured out of them. I didn't know what to say then, and I still don't now.
What's that flippie??
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
The older Alphasonik amps were good. I still have one that is over 10 years old, and it still plays good. Don't know about the newer ones. Volfenhag, on the other hand, SORRY. Seen plenty of them, SORRY. I did have a friend that had 4 12" Pyramid Super Blue subs and an old school Zeus amp that was pretty amazing bass.
'85 Toy
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

bdl666 wrote:
  I think you can call Alphasonik low high end. I whould compare their quality with that of Rockford and JBL( this is my personal opinion based on experience with them)

Ive used some older alphasonic as well as deltasonic and the were pretty decent,no experience with newer stuff though.

Once i bridged a 600 wat ppi amp to a legacy sub put the loudness on put the vol to full adn hit play,lol that sub only thumped once,followed by a loud pop! the woofer was stuck in the out posistion like it was glued there..,.

tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Not a problem with a specific brand but an 'experience' with low end audio nonetheless.. Though perhaps this belongs in a 'bad installs' thread
A friend who isn't into quality but enjoys his music wanted a VERY basic system for his car. It had all the wires from the head unit going to the right places but there were no speakers so he picked up a load of Pioneer stuff for under $80.
I wanted to check his connections so I turned the volume down to the lowest it would go and put the wires to each speaker and they moved slightly (I didn't have a voltmeter so I cheated)
I didn't have time to do the install that day and he is totally technically inept so I found it curious that he said he had done it himself when I phoned back a week later.
Weeks after that I got in his car and was horrified to find that he had used my checking method to attach all his speakers. They were hanging out the door holes and the connections had been made with tape. The back speakers were balanced on the back shelf. Low End Audio Experiences - Page 2 -- posted image.
What's that flippie??
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

Plugging a woofer into a standard house outlet will draw about 30 amps (assuming a 4-ohm woofer) and play the 60Hz tone (normal house frequency in the US) with 3600 watts behind it.  Sure, it will toast a speaker not designed for that kind of power pretty quickly, but a high-power woofer designed for it will simply shrug.  It's really not a big deal.

What it does illustrate, however, is the dangerous voltages and currents that can be produced in very high-power audio systems.  Not many of us would willingly grab hold of bare wires plugged into a wall outlet, but I have seen fools think nothing of grabbing live speaker leads connected to 5KW amps.  And many more fools leave the speaker terminals of high-powered systems un-insulated and wonder why they arc across three inches to ground  A high power audio system can kill you just like main power can.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic