icon

One thought on rear speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
Although I have heard most people claim for serious SQ just buy front speakers and either have no rear sound or some smaller components for rear fill. Personally I cannot EVER see myself doing this for the simple reason that I see it as quite selfish. I go out in my car with a bunch of friends all the time to clubs and whatever and if I had to stick my friends in the back with the sub pounding through the seats while they were straining to hear the top end it would be awful. I guess it entirely depends on your useage. Whether you want to be the only person in the car to enjoy the music, or if you want a more surround feel that everyone can enjoy. Mine is an everyday car, and its not a big problem to fade the sound to the front when I'm the only person in it.
My dad has an X5 and did his system in true SQ style. When I'm in the back I tell him to turn it down or completely off because it sounds like shyte.
What's that flippie??
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
Gotta agree with you tomos.  I'm a sound quality guy but it also needs to be quality throughout the car.  I've only got one ten and it still way overpowers my front components (which are good not great but nice) and my one 6x9 (the other was blown when i got the car, getting a new one soon).  But I just don't see how good quality music can be made with two speakers.  What about the midbass and some rear fill.  If you go to a theater you don't see all the speakers in the front do you?  No it's all around you.  Now yes all the high end is directed to the front but the music is around you.  That's just my opinion.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
The serious problem with the theater analogy is that movies are ENCODED for surround sound. STEREO music is only 2-Channel.
I've had this discussion with a lot of people. If you are looking to please guests in the back of a car rear-fill makes sense.
If you only care about driver sound quality then, in my opinion, rear fill should be a minor priority. Put it in if you want to, some people like how it helps wrap the sound around your head.
BUT, realize that to have what others also consider a good SQ car you'll want to attenuate the rears so the front speakers get the vast majority of the sound.
I frequently advocate for front-speakers first. Rear-fill is fine, but I think it is a serious mistake to spend a lot of money on expensive 6x9's and giving them a lot of power. In my opinion the best SQ cars on a budget will place FIRST priority on the front stage. SECOND priority on sub bass, and LAST priority on rear-fill.
my 2c.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah don't spend a ton of money on rear but I'm just talking about those that say you don't need rear speakers (or just don't worry about them).  And even if you have stereo a rear sound is still nice to have.  Also a big increase in car dvd players (and 5.1 surround) is good reason for that rear fill.
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I think it just gets to me when people leap to saying 'NO! Don't buy rear speakers!' when in my experience its horrible in the back of cars with nothing but bass. But leaving being a passenger aside and speaking from a driver point of view - I would consider my fronts of high quality (Diamond Hex) they are installed properly at the supposedly perfect height but I still get the feeling there is a big space behind me when I am driving. I have had a set of components in the rear and I only have a small hatchback but I upgraded to larger 7x10's out of choice because I just think it sounded better. But as the topic suggests.. just an opinion.
What's that flippie??
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have a surround system at home for film but prefer speakers in front of me for music (unless its a concert on DVD)
Odd..
There is something unique about being completely engulfed in sound in a metal box on wheels that is appealing.
What's that flippie??
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
My rear seat passengers have the opposite problems.  I currently have 2 Kenwood 6x9s running off an amp in the rear, and only the stock 5" dash speakers in the front.  Im planning on getting some fronts when I get a 4 channel amp and get a good deal on some speakers.  The sound up front from the back 6x9s is ok for my listining.  But its quite loud to the people in the back.  I realize this isnt the ideal setup, but its only temporary.
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
I think the majority of people start with their car system with rear 6x9s (in the UK anyway, anyone care to comment on US?)
Back when I was at school everyone just bought a pair and stuck them on the back shelf and kept the stock fronts. The really cool people going for loud and proud had 2 sets on the back shelf (YIKES!) You see 6x9s when walking down the street through the back window of parked cars and there is a general newbie consensus that they are important..Just look at shops that sell them and how important they look
I think there is an elitist trend toward showing disapproval. Maybe the SQ perfectionists are just such geeks they simply don't have any friends to go in the back (joke!) All I ask to be taken from this thread is don't immediatly discourage rear for an everyday driver who has friends! I see it in almost every thread with someone who mentions 6x9s someone always says 'get rid & power the fronts'
What's that flippie??
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

personally this is how i see it when it comes to front and rear staging:

when i went to a sq competition one of the judges said my front stage was terrible. i was like ok... hes like "you want it to sound like your listening to a symphony, with the sound coming from infront of you"

now if this schmuk had ever been to hear a real symphony play he'd know that the sound doesnt just come from the front.. it engulfs the listener all around putting you "in" the music and thats what im trying to achieve in my car with somewhat stock speaker positions

i really felt like telling him, if you want front staging go stand in front of your home stereo,

i always truely felt front staging wasnt meant for the car anyway for normal driving, but thats just my opinion...

thats one thing i hate about these sq comps these judges dont respect music anymore

but what it boils down to is that its all listener preference, if you like how you system sounds thats great, and thats how it should be, its your car, your the person that usually listens to it, and if your happy, thats all that matters.One thought on rear speakers -- posted image.

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
As long as their is music emanating from somewhere in my car, and it can get as loud as I want, and sounds good, Thats enough for me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic