icon

Opinions Needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bighauns 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I just want to know what you guys think of the following setup...
-Hifonics Brutus BX1500D 1500W Mono Block
-Hifonics Zeus ZX6400 85WX4 Speaker Amp
-Xtant 12" X1244
This is going in a 1994 Eagle Talon TSi, if anyone cares.
Thanks for the input!!
bring on the boom!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Those are all items on my Christmas wish list.  Just be sure to match RMS values.  Do you have speakers besides the sub?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
I'm also wondering what speakers you're planning to drive with the 85x4 Hifonics.
For the same amount of money you could probably get a slightly cleaner 50x4 amp. The achievable volume difference between a good quality 50x4 amp and the Hifonics will be negligable.
Post the price you're looking at getting that Zeus for.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
bighauns 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

The zeus zx6400 is $225 US. But i was also thinking about just using a Zeus zx4400 which i could get for about $185 US which would give me 55 watts RMS. I will be running two pairs of clarion components that i believe are 6.5" 110 watts RMS. But i am not sure if i need that extra power or not. Do you guys think it is worth it?? Or could that money be used better?

bring on the boom!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

Well, there are better 4-channel amplifiers out there for mids/highs.  Hifonics specs are probably overrated both in terms of quality and power.  However, if that includes shipping, you're getting those items fairly cheap.  I'd probably shop around a little.  While I hear Hifonics is an excellent subwoofer amp because of the decent power ratings for the price I can't say I've ever heard anyone praise their class A/B (mid/high) amplifier quality.

The extra 35 watts probably won't make a bit of difference.  If the 85w one was $200 more I'd say forget about it - but for $40 extra?  Go for it.  Extra headroom doesn't hurt. 

Also, the only problem you *might* run into plopping that much power into your car is one of power.  Unless you've got a high output alternator you might be draining that battery of yours, depending on how you listen to your music.  Hey, if you get the 55w amp you can use that extra $40 for a new alternator.  Think about it.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
{TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" UNABLE="on"}{TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%"}{TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background=""0 UNABLE="off"}{p}Oh, definately I will need an alternator there is no question about it.  Stevdart, what do you know about the speaker amps? You said that they were on your wish list :-) That must mean something good right?!{/p}{p}Let me know what you think, maybe I should get a different speaker amp?  I kind of want to get both amps from the same company, it would look cool and stuff.{/p}{p}Thanks for the input.{/p}{/TD}{/TR}{TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1"}{TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on"}{DIV id=hotbar_promo}{/DIV}{/TD}{/TR}{/TABLE}
bighauns 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, sorry about that...I was on a friends computer in which he was logged in to the12volt and has hotbar on it.
So, here is what I was trying to say...
Oh, definately I will need an alternator there is no question about it.
Stevdart, what do you know about the zeus speaker amps? You said that were on your wish list :-) That mus mean something good right?
Let me know what you think, maybe I should get a different speaker amp? I kind of want to get both amps from the same copany, it would look cool and stuff.
Thanks for the input, and sorry about the above post.
bring on the boom!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  

1.  Personally, I think amps from different manufacturers look cooler.  It shows that you have selected for the sake of performance, and not for the "showroom display" package look.  kfr01 is very good at this kind of thing, so his input is better than what I can give on this subject.

2.    I just meant that my wish list includes higher quality components than what I am currently enjoying....it was just a comment.

bighauns 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, never looked at it like that. I can see how that is totally possible. kfr01, what are you thinking on this whole setup??
Thanks
bring on the boom!
fire2050 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
personally i would save your money and buy another car unles you have some attachment to it and alos pyramid is where its at.........haha but seriously if you do this make sure that you dont put so much bump in it that it makes the car fall apart ive learned my lesson in that
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic