icon

Noise Ordinance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foltzy 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have to admit, its common sense to turn down the music when your in the middle of town...at least in central PA..cops out here are anal..so i could understand if they pull you over for being too loud..
but what i dont understand..
WHY THE HELL DO THEY GIVE YOU A CITATION FOR YOUR WINDOW TINT??? This happened to me this past Saturday and i had to take it off of my front windows (5% the whole way around) >:(...just wondering because i'm not bothering anybody by having my windows tinted...any ideas?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
It is considered a security issue. Dark tint allows you to hide many things you might be doing in your car, like reaching for a weapon, disposing of evidence, etc. Police do not like to walk into something they cannot see all of, and they may feel uneasy. I understand these kinds of regulations. Nervous cops get people shot also, so it is a safety issue for YOU as well... I know I feel similarly when in traffic, and I cannot see the guy next to me in the Cadillac with the limo tinted windows all the way around... Is he a gang-banger, a drug dealer? I don't know, now do I?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

foltzy wrote:
but what i dont understand..
WHY THE HELL DO THEY GIVE YOU A CITATION FOR YOUR WINDOW TINT??? This happened to me this past Saturday and i had to take it off of my front windows (5% the whole way around) >:(...just wondering because i'm not bothering anybody by having my windows tinted...any ideas?

I've never understood that one either, Im complete blackout all the way around on me and the wifes civic and never have been issued a ticket for it

This site lets you know the percentage for window tint http://www.tintdude.com/atoh.html

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
This is a very good topic that I have always felt very strongly about ever since I got my first car, and the only thing I wanted to do with it was pack it full of speakers (even if it was a hooptie).

In Spokane, Wa (where I lived for 12 years up until last summer) and maybe it was in consideration for the entire state of Wa, I'm not sure, but there was talk of ATTEMPTING to pass a really over-the top natzi-like law to prohibit aftermarket stereos in cars because it was a distraction to the driver (but every cop I ever see is always driving down the road talking on a cell phone, or typing things into his computer), which got my blood boiling when I heard it.
 the next day I went to school (I was in high school at the time) and organized a very illeagal, and annoying protest (which I know that in reality only one or two of the people would have taken part in when it all came down to it) we planned on getting everyone with a system 10s or bigger (even if they had a house loudspeaker in the back) to parade down to City Hall, and, of course pay for meters, and make the building shake, until they impounded every last car.  But we all know that would not have worked, but it would have been really cool.

On the downside, things like that would definetely give the respectful stereo enthusiasts a bad name (I can be respectful to the law from time-to time, but most of the time I am a spitefull little s**t)

anyway, Spokane did end up passing a noise ordinance, but I myself have never been pulled over, nor has anyone I know; infact on Division (which is the dividing street, go figure) I had a cop compliment and check out my system one night before kicking every one out of the parking lot we were in.

Even a stock system can be heard from 50 ft away, and if you get pulled over for some stupid noise ordinance in an area that is zoned industrial or no-where near a residence at 3:00 PM, chances are the cop is a jerk, racist, ageist, or just power trippin.
eh? what did you just say?
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=Master Asylum]

People like who? I'm assuming in reference to chuck...

People that would rather try to go around the law than adhere to it! thats who i'm talking about!
And for the tint go ask the dead police officers wife why they WANT to beable to see everybody in the car.
I'm not singleing anybody out, but there are people out there that have ruined it for everybody! including loud music and window tint!
Now just deal with the law and get over it!
joebobcletusjr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
This is a very heated subject and even though I do not support dumb laws, it is still good to hear both sides of the argument.

someone made a good point earlier when they said that it is another example of our archaic laws that should be removed, but for some reason someone feels it necessary.

If anyone would like other examples of stupid laws, www.dumblaws.com is a good source of some stupid ones, besides, I think we may need a little comic releif for this intense subject.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

This topic is going to continue to get more political. 

When it comes to public policy everyone has a different viewpoint.  This is what makes lawmaking so difficult. 

To protect some rights we, as a society, must encroach on others. 

How we value the rights on different sides of this balance is a function of all that we've personally experienced.  It is sometimes predictable and based on classic demographic indicators like age, sex, socio-economic status, location, etc.  It is many times unpredictable and based on less measurable indicia. 

In any event, since none of us are policy makers, I'm not sure that arguing about whether the law is right or wrong or too strict or not strict enough is going to go anywhere on a forum like this. 

I move that this topic be closed OR discussion move back to something more constructive for the everyday man visiting this forum.  i.e. "how to avoid getting caught and/or how to fight a ticket should you receive one."  Haemphyst's original post was very constructive I thought.  

That said, I'll respond to the assertion that these laws are "dumb."  It has much to do with my original post on this topic back on page 1.  Others have a right to the quiet enjoyment of their property.  You are encroaching on these rights when you blast your music.  Standard principles of public policy suggest that in forming laws the interests and burdens be balanced and weighed.  Here the interest in favor of the boomer is very very low.  He serves no public utility.  It does not encroach on his rights much to ask him to turn it down.  There is very little burden on the boomer; alas, it only takes a twist of the wrist.  On the other hand, when it can be avoided we, as a society, and when it doesn't involve First Amendment issues, value quite highly the right to the quiet enjoyment of personal property - especially in our homes. 

I, along with the lawmakers, see that this balance easily favors laws against excessive noise.  These laws are not, "dumb."  Rather, they are the result of a very thoughtful weighing process.  It would be foolish to ignore the policy issues at play here.  Whether you agree with the conclusion is another question - but please acknowledge the other side of the argument. 

Where the line should be drawn is another story.  The basic rationale behind the law, however, is most certainly not dumb.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
joebobcletusjr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
That was very well put, Kfr01

I feel that it will be very difficult to get back on the original topic after all that has been said.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Done, and thanks all for your input.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic