icon

I dont care about SQ I want SPL How?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, sorry if this is already answered but you can never get enough opinions. First, I have a 95 mustang. I want really really loud SPL. Im not sure how strong the alternator is but im not too worried. (with a 12w7 and crossfire amp I got the usual headlight dimming) Mainly I plan to buy all equipment from eBay, or other net sites. So what should I get 2 15's, 4 10's brands? Ive been looking at sensitivity and noticed audiobahn immortal series has high sensitivity lvls. there subs run about 2k rms. To power it all I was thinking about 2 alphasonik pma1000's  check it out here http://sonicelectrnix.com/item_2802.html any other brands? my local audio supplier only sells alphasonik and autotek and wont hear anything against them or about any other brands. Im running right now 2 rockford 12" HE2's off a 1200 watt rms autotek amp (for sale on ebay right now check it out! http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=3293&item=5767111859&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) thanks for tips.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
No offence dude, but you are asking industry experts for their advice so you can run out and buy product from some unauthorized e-tailer............ ask these questions to the e-tailer and see how far you get or is advice something that you think you don't need to pay for. I imagine that the non industry people will give you some advice, take it for what it is. It is up to you to find out if it is good advice or not. My advice, support the local shop who has the advice to support you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
SPL is about box design and setting up the proper system for the car.   In a trunk its gonna be hard.     All I can say is for true SPL look into having a box made or plan to test out quite a few designs.     Alphasonik and aidiobahn are the same company when you look into it.   and nither one was at usaci finals with the exception of one vehicle running 10 or so of the new 5000 watt rack mount amps.     15's are overrated,   but if you want loud sloppy bass thats the way to go.     If you looking to go rule some shows your not going to do it with the equipment listed,   as far as pounding out your neighbors, sure.     I know a guy with a 95 or 96 mustang with 2 15 inch mtx 8000's and a 8100d amp,    its loud but actuall pressure is a joke.     You really need to visit a local small store to really start designing a SPL system
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
well, forbidden, excuse me for not wanting to pay three times the amount on some equipment by going to my divine local shop. If i can get the same sub for 400 dollars less, is that really so wrong? And i dont think everyone one this forum is an "industry expert" either for that much. I am not planning on entering competitions I just want something loud. I dont need top off the line equipment running me 1000's of dollars. And the reason I wanted to look into 15 is because I want to hit those low frequencies well. Unless your telling me theres no difference between a 10 and a 15 in low frequency reponse. (could be I dont know just something ive heard) As for the enclosure, I have experince in fiberglass and wooden enclosure and can make that to specs. Still looking for some brands....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Not trying to piss in your cornflakes dude, just see it from our side of the fence is all. There are just too many ways to get burned by an e-tailer and sadly it is becoming a bigger problem every day. An e-tailer cannot answer your question that you just asked but I can.

There are many people on this forum that are not industry experts but for the ones that have been around long enough on it to learn from us, can also answer this question as well. There are also those that you have no idea who they are and what basis they are making their judgements on. This is very dangerous on your part. If you take the advice, make sure that it is credible.

What is wrong is for you to find ut, hopefully you don't but when you do, you will understand further.

PS -  the free advice column...... a 4" can hit the same low frequencies as a 15", it just cannot do it with the same amplitude. So to answer your question, there is no difference as well between a 10" and 15" in low frequency response goes except for the amplitude (or how loud the subs ability to play that low frequency is). Bigger does not mean better, not by a long shot. Now that I have answered this, do you think that a e-tailer would explain this to you or would he sell you what you want insted of what you need and then have the basis to back it up?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

95pony as a newbie you should hang around a while before you start slamming the regulars.

Forbidden is of course correct.  Woofer size has nothing to do with how deep a speaker can play.  And to the larger point, if you buy from an on-line non-authorized seller, expecially off eBay, you do so at your own risk.  If you know what you're doing it can be ok, or if you are able to spend money on gear that may be trash.  But if you are a beginner (and you appear to be) or if you have limited resources, it is dangerous - assuming you want your gear to last longer than this weekend.

The only thing I can recomend in the eBay link you posted is the Autotek amp, and maybe the wires.  But I cannot recomend you buy it from an eBay seller.  Go shopping in your home town, support your local professionals, and you may be surprised what you can get for your money.

Support the12volt.com
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
The part about no "industry experts" on this forum, Dude you are very wrong there. Stick around and get learned. These guys know what they are talking about.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Back to the topic at hand, ,how much flow do you have to drop? With a figure we can then reccomend products that fit that price range.  But for a good spl woofer your going to be looking at spending around $400 each.  Basically the real subs on the market today are not available on the internet.  Look into Adire Audio, Resonant Engineering, Image Dynamics, MTX, JL, and yeahh...Kicker L7..they sound like poop tho.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
OK, you dont wanna spend oodles of money but want loud and dont care about SQ. Fair enough. You wanted opinions so I am gonna give to you, and you may not like em. Audiobahn is crap. plain simple statement. Crap. They do not have any kinda lasting power on a whole, and are completly inflated as to their specs. If you want something thats realy loud then thats fine. Last year I ran 4 cheap ass pioneer tsw305dvc 12 inch subs and won 3 competitions and did so running up against kicker, eclipse, JL and rockford just to name a few. I also wasted a couple of audiobahn systems if it mattered. Now the reason why I was able to do this was because I took subs that were fairly inexpensive, ran a legit 400 watts rms to each one, spent alot of time designing my box to get it tuned and positions exactly how I wanted it and knew how to compete. I wanted to prove that people could compete using low end gear because the comps in my area have really declined in the last few years and part of the reason is because people dont want to spend the money on big dollar systems because our car theft rate per cap. is so high. So after saying that, I think that 4 tens could be louder than 2 15's, I think that with the room you have availible to you in that trunk I would proballly be looking towards the 2 15's. Now as for brand goes, I really like MTX stuff at just about any price point, pick the series to match the budget. I also hear good things about the adire stuff although the avalibility is very limited , the Kicker L7's are good for spl, I feel the W7 is  a good sq sub but would use the MTX 9500 over the W7 for spl any day of the week. The Alpine type R isnt bad and Eclipse make some nice gear as well. All those subs I just mentioned will only preform well if the two following criteria are met. The NEED to be in the correct box and they NEED the correct amplifiers driving them. I was almost brought to tears when I saw a pair of older Boston Pro 12's running off a visonik amp the other day. I asked him what he was doing and he replies "what do you mean, that amp is 1200 watts, more than what they subs can handle". That customer has been sacked (monty python reference:)). You need real power ot drive real subs to get real spl. As I said box is imperitive as well, not only proper size but proper venting and proper bracing to get the full deal. Why dont you come back and post what kinda scratch you are willing to drop and if you are dedicated to buying from e-tailers then I can probally look around for you and see what I can find.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

first of all, i'm with these guys, buying equipment from a competent shop and buying sh*t off ebay or whatever are completly different, etailers sell refurb, damaged, or old equipment, they have no knowlege and usually just buy out old company's stock from 3 years ago, and sell it at 5 dollors over cost, you will never get any advice from them, nor will you get anything if you actually need to warentee something, it's people that are more worried about saving 20 bucks that ruin this whole bussiness for people who take it seriously,,

now by saying you don't care about sq, you oviously want something that sounds like ass, but you can hear the buzz of your trunk rattle for about a mile right? think that's really going to impress anyone over 13?,, sorry.. anyways, if that's all you want, get audiobahn, chrome up the ass, sounds like crap, but it'll thud, if you want to get serious, look around at some shops, find a dealer who will sell you a good set of subs, and a box that actually goes with them, instead of buying subs ment for a 1 cube box and then having your neighbor build a 10 cube one out of plywood and drywall... look for a respectable brand, find a dealer that is licenced with them, they will get you a better deal.. don't go to flee markets, and get a few components that match each other, you will be happier with a system that sounds good, because a "loud" system made up of junk, will not impress you for long, you need something that acutally hits like its suposed to,,, If you end up getting junk you'll be one of the kids that listens to that ONE song he found that makes his system sound half way decent, and when your still listning to a 5 year old lil john song because everything else distorts, you'll wish you hadn't wasted your money,, my .02

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic