I dont care about SQ I want SPL How?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldsbravo5 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Captanham wrote:

If you end up getting junk you'll be one of the kids that listens to that ONE song he found that makes his system sound half way decent, and when your still listning to a 5 year old lil john song because everything else distorts, you'll wish you hadn't wasted your money,, my .02

Wow.  That describes EVERYONE at my damn high school.  People think I'm "mean" when I talk smack about their systems.  But I don't think you have a good system until every song on a CD sounds just as good as the last and your system sounds good throughout every genre. 

I'm all about SQ, and it seems like all the others are about running 4 Audiobahns in their car with the stock 3.25's in the dash and stock 4 by 6's or whatever in the rear.  It gets frusturating when people think this is how a system should be.  I don't know about anyone else, but I like to hear what the song is about instead of just distorted basslines and beats. 

I have yet to hear a system that wouldn't be sufficient (in my opinion) with just one 10" running at about 250 watts RMS and 2 sets of components at 60-80 watts RMS. 

But, this is just me. 

Bravadas are cool
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yo Forbidden:
hehe I think your kinda funny. I remember the other day when you shutdown a thread b/c someone knew where to buy Focal stuff...
"Do you think advice is something you shouldn't have to pay for?"
Actually, no. Among the 'advice' I've gotten from my bricks-and-mortar JL dealer:
1)Two 8-ohm subs in parallel wire to 2-ohms
2)Yellow Tops can't start your car
3)A single 13W6 will 'blow away' 2xPerfect 12's.
Those last two pieces of 'advice' cost me a total of $700. Should I just be happy that I 'paid for advice?' Since I replaced my Red with a Yellow I haven't had a single bass-note cut out, my 13W6 practically wispers its so quiet and underwhelming.. and don't even get me started on that stupid sales guy that thinks 8-ohmsx2=2ohms at the amp.
Nevermind the fact that all the while the people at this place are *rude* and *nasty* .... I had a guy tell me move my car away from the front of the shop the other day *because* it wasn't nice enough to be in front of his shop. I really wanted to apologize for spending $4500 in his store over the last 2 years... my Toyota Corolla wasn't good enough for his parking lot...
You think people should just have to pay for this so you can feel ever so slightly secure about *your* income?
I had a guy the other day tell me a set of Alpine TypeR 5.25 comps would run me $260. For that price I can TWO pairs online AND a cheapo set of coaxials. Who would care about 'warranty' when I can get a set with ready available replcement parts for the same price?
Oh yea, the divine shop's advice is worth $150? More than the speaker?
<ECONOMIC REALITY> e-tailers will continue to thrive and indeed prosper, especially when retailers, IMO, frequently know about as much about their product as a typical car salesman and expect to be compensated commensuratly...
If you could have car delivered by post NO ONE would shop at car dealers either.
You almost sound like record execs and their goofy obsession with control and DRM... you need to appreciate that technology is changing your business. Deal with it or die. </ECONOMIC REALITY>
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

There will always be bad shops, sedate.  Sounds to me like you spent $4500 at a bad shop run by non-professionals.  Sorry about that, and I hope you take your future business elsewhere.

But your bad experience is amplified 100X with on-line etailers and eBay scam artists and hustlers.  There are far, far more idiots and rip off artists on line than you will find on the ground.  Anyone with access to a computer and a line on refurb or factory second gear can sell crap on eBay or set up a web site.  It takes a lot more committment and money to open a shop, and the monthly overhead is far higher.  So yes, sometimes prices are higher too.

My advice remains the same: buy your gear from only authorized dealers (including if you must AUTHORIZED on-line dealers.)  A professional, experienced human being who can look at your car and work with you is ALWAYS prefereable to text on a screen (including from this forum!) and yes, many times it IS worth $150 to get the RIGHT advice and guidance.  You can always get screwed and misled, sure, and some salesmen (especially at "big box" stores) know about as much about stereo as they do about geko mating habits.  Be selective and talk to others to choose your shop.

If you don't care about warrany and if you are driven purely by cost, do what ever feels right to you.  Buy two sets of speakers so you have a spare.  <shrug> But when you are ready to get serious find a GOOD shop and work with them.

And forbidden didn't lock the Focal thread, I did.

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

There are obviously two schools of thought on this issue.  I think it is a mistake to support either too strongly.  As Sedate points out, buying from an authorized retailer will sometimes be a rip off.  As DYohn points out, buying online will sometimes be a ripoff. 

The key word is sometimes.   Sometimes the inverse will be true.  Sometimes buying authorized is the only way to go.  Sometimes buying online can give a person on an extreme budget some ability to buy better equipment.

My point:  the INDIVIDUAL BUYER needs to make this decision.  He should make it based on as much information as possible.  This is true regardless of whether the individual buys online or not.  Part of this information is information about the risks involved with buying online.  However, once an individual buyer KNOWS the risks, HE should make the decision for himself whether it is worth it to buy online or not.  My hope for posters on this forum:  Please tell people wanting to buy online about the very real risks involved.  But, please don't shun them for shopping online with an eye on their wallet.  Since when was seeking the most efficient result a damning activity?  Our economy THRIVES on this valuable and productive process.

Personally, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the crap dealers in my area for advice.  I bought and had my deck installed authorized because I wanted Eclipse's 3-year warranty and support.  I personally think this is the only way I'd ever buy an Eclipse product.  However, much of the rest of my equipment I purchased online.  Was it refurbished?  Maybe, who knows.  I don't care.  Does it work like new?  Yes.  Did I save a boat load of money in the process, allowing my dollar to go further?  Yes.  Might I have gotten screwed?  Sure.  Did I consider that before ordering?  You bet. 

Authorized fans:  Don't damn someone because they choose to buy online from unauthorized dealers.  Buying and even selling unauthorized products online isn't criminal.  Might some middle man have broken a contract?  Sure.  Should the buyer who can save a few bucks be damned for taking advantage of a deal?  No. 

On that note, http://www.woofersetc.com/ and http://www.acaraudio.com/ both sell unauthorized Focal products.  DYohn, I understand your support of authorized dealers, but shouldn't Focal be the ones policing their dealer contracts?  Hell, the continued existence of these two retailers as sellers of Focal product leads me to believe that (a) Focal flat out doesn't care or (b) Focal doesn't mind limited unauthorized reselling because it can help clear inventory.   Shouldn't we, as members of this forum, support the dissemination of as much (non-illegal) knowledge as possible so the12volt's users can make buying decisions with the most information - leading to the most efficient result? 

Online fans:  By the same token, the other school shouldn't damn people who 100% support authorized retailers.  In many cases the retailer IS honest and knowledgeable, and can add significant value.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
Sedate, I feel for you. Rest assured and I think that you know this already, at my store all people are judged equal and treated with the same respect. It really sounds like the place you chose to do business has either lost respect for a valued customer and hired boneheads to deal with the customers. I would be pissed if I was in your shoes as well. Don't let the wrong doings of one shop ruin what other shops like the one that I have built up to be, a great experience for the customer with great customer service and knowledge first and foremost. My advice is free and my resume is posted for all to see at any time. Hope you understand things from my side of the fence dude.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well this thread seems to have gotten wayyyy off topic. But I suppose ill add my 2 cents, for what its worth.
I bought my subs from a local dealer, I also got the box and wiring from them. The people who run the shop are great, very helpful and I stop by there from time to time just to talk.
My friend just put a system in his truck the other day; he bought the subs box and wiring from the same shop (I sold him my old memphis amp). One of the guys helped him set the whole thing up, they were working on the install for about three hours (he has the premium sound system and is using the stock deck so it took a little more time) the guy who helped him works sales and gets payed on commission, so he was sacrificing his own time to help my friend out. I will also be buying my new Eclipse HU from this shop.
This shop is about a 40 minute drive from my house, but I always go out there as opposed to a shop that is closer to my house. I have had problems with that shop, and so have friends of mine, I will drive the extra distance to get better service and friendlier people.
On the other hand I bought my amp from sounddomain because the price was unbeatable. I have also bought 2 amps, and a set of 6x9s from a flea market, all of which are still working perfectly. I will be buying a set of component speakers from an authorized "e-tailer" in the coming months, again because of price.
The shop owners and industry insiders on here have to realize that many of us, especially us young people simply dont have the money to buy everything from a local shop. All the car audio beginners and enthusiasts who are not in the industry have to realize that many shops have been seeing depleting sales and some have even had to close mainly because they have been losing so much business to "e-tailers".
One last thing to the senior members of this board. If someone asks a question about buying a products *cough*Focal*cough* online, you can tell them that the products will not have Focals warranty, or just not post at all, but please dont lock the post! I was a little angry when I was trying to help someone out and my post was immediately deleted and the topic locked. Also, it really isnt fair to the person that started this post that it was systematically hijacked and turned into a internet vs. local shop debate. Just because he wants to buy online doesnt mean you should jump down his throat.
That is all.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well if SPL is all you care about, let it sound like garbage. I can recommend the perfect company for you... its called PYLE. Get 8 of the 18" SUPER Pro woofers off of ebay or another online retailer for under $200. That will score you some SPL numbers, if you can stand how it sounds.... For amps, nothing better than pyramid....
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
The part about no "industry experts" on this forum, Dude you are very wrong there. Stick around and get learned. These guys know what they are talking about.

I definetely agree with NIK, look at the people with at least 400 or more posts here, those are the people that have been here since the beginning, or at least are consistently checking back to the12volt to find new ways to offer their expertise.

In fact some of the real experts have replied to this particular thread, so just look out for posts from DYohn, oonikfraleyoo, forbidden, Alpine Guy, and there are a lot more out there, sorry if I missed anyone, but you can learn a lot from these people.  They are the real experts even if none of them had ever touched a car, they still could have learned a lot from reading other posts.

I am not in any way saying that I am an expert, after all I have only been a part of the12volt for a few months, and I have a long way to go before i can claim to know as much as some of the other people here.  Stick around, ignore some of the crap that you may get for posting a question that someone may think is stupid, and try your best to see it from the perspective of those who come here that work in those "over-priced" (what worth can you put on good, reliable information that's not full of lies to get you to buy something) authorzed dealers that won't just tell you what you want to hear, they will tell you the facts about the products you are considering buying from them; if you don't buy it from them, then don't expect too much.

eh? what did you just say?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
For the purpose of answering the original poster's question (if he hasn't slit his wrists or jumped from a tall building by now).....I agree with uthinkuknoaudio.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
wow. that was really nice. Instead of getting adviced i got my "manhood"  verbally stomped on. I am sorry if you own a local shop and i offended you. If i can get 1 12" sub for 179 from an "e-tailer" or the same sub from my local shop for 600, what would i do? well because im 17 and i work at mcdonalds and get 5.30 an hour, I can only buy from the e-tailer..................... So, if i buy some stuff from a friend am i wrong? if i buy it from a garage sale am i wrong? Now i got a couple of people who gave me some advice. a lot of contradicting advice too. no i do not feel the need to compete or brag that i spent more money on my system than you. no i dont want it to sound like sh*t either. and by the way, was forbidden a "newbie" when he posted his first post? just because it was only his first does that mean he didnt know anything when he did it? and as for the low fequency thing i understand stand a 10 can produce a low frequency but i need to strain my ears to hear it, of course that is why i thought of 15's i want to HEAR it and FEEL it. So all you shop owners or rich 30 year olds who want to bash on a broke kid, keep it up...
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic