icon

I dont care about SQ I want SPL How?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

by the way the people in the fiberglass and interiors forum didnt slit my throat when i asked them how i could learn how to paint better instead of support my local paint shop.

boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
95Pony, I feel you. I just did my first system, and did so on a very tight budget. I bought all parts for Crutchfield and ikesound.com. It was good for a week, then my amp broke (got it from IkeSound). I've been trying to contact them over and over to get one replaced. I've had bad luck this time around. But to be honest, even though I've lost this time, I'll probably buy another amp online simply because there are some bad dealers, but I've had a lot more good luck than bad with online buying/selling. I too would like to go in to my local shop and drop $500 on an amp I can get for $200 online, but I just don't have the money to do it. In my opinion, for the money you can get it for online, the MTX 7500-9500 series are wonderful. You build the right box (great specs on box on MTX's website), and you'll have SPL coming out your ass. But it doesn't completely stomp out any SQ. It'll definitely sound nice [not amazing, but no where near 18" Pyles running off a Pyramid] too.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
i think you will be more than happy with a pair of Alpine Type Rs or a pair of Kicker L7s, L5s or even a pair of Kicker CVRs. Put them in a ported box and they should be plenty loud. Come to think of it it, 1 15" L7 is probably more than enough for you, I know a kid who has one in his Eclipse and it is mad loud. I know ive seen them online for like $250 with a custom ported box.
Try to keep your online shopping on mostly these sites.
sounddomain.com
onlinecarstereo.com
thezeb.com
crutchfield.com
ikesound.com (be wary though, ive heard some bad things about this one lately)
Most of those sites factory authorized dealers for most of their products. Most of them will also price match other internet sites. Do your research on both the products and dealer before you buy anything. Finally, dont let some of the people on here scare you off, stick around and you will find that this site is a valuable source of information and advice.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
ok, well sorry about tearing you a new a***ole and all.. but anyone that's owned / owns a shop, feels my pain here. haha, anyways, you never said how much you wanted to spend, BUT, if you want a cheeep system that will pound i know what you should go with,, find some spl w's (power acoustic mofo's) same sub, and get one of either of their 3000 watt amps,, (get 12's btw)  if you get these and get a good vent ported box that's the correct size you will be doing just fine, they are cheep and you can beat the hell out of them and they'll go for a good run... i had a guy in a big car with a sealed trunk hit 150's with just the subs in a box with the amp, nothing else, no drivers or caps or dynamat.. so i think that's pretty good for a cheap ass system..
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
95Pony 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well I already have some good mids, 2 JVC 6X9's and a Rockford Component set THAT I DID BUY FROM MY LOCAL SHOP!!!!!!!! And then saw it on ebay for 170 dollars cheaper. But, thats irrelevant. I got the mids also I have som alpine tweeters and 61/2's that were in my Mustang when I bought it. So, Id like to spend about 1000 dollars on maybe like2 15's and an amp or two. Now my other local shop ( I have 2) sold my an autotek sx1200x 1200 watt rms 1 ohm mono block class "x" They also sell Alphasonik subs and say they are the Sh*t and wont recommend any other brand. So, should I buy those? They sell them for 600 dollars a piece and Ive found them for 189 a piece "elsewhere" But I woulod like to go with an All alp[hasonik setup. Is that A good idea? (Right now Im running 2 rockford 12" he2's with the autotek amp in a REALLY sh*tty box. It blew apart the box and made my rear view mirror fall off but i still want louder. My life long goal is to set off a car alarm : )
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

not much of a life time goal, a car alarm is not hard to set off, now i used to drive threw the mall lot and have about 20 goign off at a time, that's a little better, but anyways,, haha, alphasonic is ok, not THE BEST (i hear they'er a lot bigger in the south then up here in ol i ndiana) but i've used them, they are good, but i wouldn't live by them.. i still think those mofo's are a good way to go, you can get them by *other means* for about 150 each. they have a 340 ounce magnet and handle 1000 rms a peice,,  that amp is nice tho... so i'd go with either the alphs or the p a's but that's really your choice,, i think theres a guy on here if you go to the buy/sell forum that's selling some 15inch mofo's for 300 bucks,, hold on i'll look.....

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=54082&PN=1

check that out

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
95Pony 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. I've decided that the Mofo's look like good subs for me. Now how should i go about getting 3000 watts RMS?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

In what vehicle? The Pony? If so then with a real big power supply and a hella leavy duty and super long extension cord. Big power like this demands a big power supply, in this case the heart, lungs and circulatory system. In the world of car audio this means, alternator, battery and power / ground wiring. Have you read my grounding sticky yet? This will definetely apply to your system. Post up more info on the vehicle and the system going into it.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
95Pony 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well the vehicle is a 1995 ford mustang. The trunk is tiny. I couldnt fit my old box in there that I had my rockfords in. So Im not sure if i want to build to specs a box myself or have it professionally done since ive figured out that the box is key. Id like to make a fiberglass one since i have a wee bit of experience in that, but the Mofos might blow it apart... Now a couple people are saying that 2 15" Mofo's would be good for me and now I agree. So, now id like some amp recommendations now that every brand i liked and thought was good turns out to be crap. JL and Kicker amps are way expensive. I really like Alphasonik for some reason though. My local shop sells them and  swears by them that there the best thing ever. If not there subs would an amp from them work? Id like to just get one at 3k rms but that would prolly take a LOT of dough. So ill probably have to go with two running seperatelt at 1 ohm to accomodate the Mofo's 2 ohm dvc. So any amp recommendations would be great. As for the alternator and battery, I have no idea how strong they are.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  
Set off a car alarm? I set off my first car alarm with a single 12" Alpine Type E at 250watts RMS. It really doesn't take much. I say you aim for cracking your window.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic