the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

I dont care about SQ I want SPL How?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

the power acoustic company makes a 3000 watt amp that is designed for those subs, it matches a little bit better with the 12's but it will work just fine for your 15's, look that up it's just a r3000d kole makes one, and so does spl, if you really want one i can pick on up for you but it would be for a little under retail.. if you are wanting some ebay kinda thing your going to have to look around, the 2400's sell like crazy on there but not the 3000,, the 2400's are junk, DON'T get them, they blow consistantly, but the 3000 will take a beating.. email me back if you want me to get one 4 ya

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

No offence to the post above, but Power Acoustik, Alphasonik, Auidobahn and the likes are all the botom of the barrel. They are lines built by the cheapest bidder in the far east. (thus the quality control issues that was eluded to). Research the amplifiers even more to find out exactly how overrated most amplifiers truly are. Hopefully the CEA2006 ratings will put and end to this. As of right now, too many brands prey on the uneducated consumer, this leaves some of the people like me to show a differerign side of the industry.

The only thing I am trying to sell you, is me. Take my recommendations for what you think they are worth. If I recommend a product, maybe you will research it and come back with questions or maybe you will come back and tell me that I was bang on. Most people take me at my word (you'll know when I am kidding you).

Now as far as the car goes, 2 15's in the trunk of a 95 Stang is going to be difficult. This is due to the fact that 15's for the most part take up space and a lot of it. I pointed out earlier that it is all about the box. Whatever subs you choose, you must have the exact size enclosure available to go into this car. This car does not lend itself to a nice and easy drop in sub box system IIRC. If I am correct, the box has to be built either in the vehicle and so much for getting it out or needs to be built in pieces to get it into the vehicle as the trunk opening is too small.

Bigger does not necessarily mean better. 2 12" subs in the proper box will tear a new butthole for a pair of 15's in the wrong size box. Look at the space you have available first, then figure out how the box is going to go into the vehicle and assemble (and mount securely as a loose box wastes output), then choose a sub based around these factors.

Big power = big power system, if you are running a stock electrical system with no imminent plans on upgrading it, big power is not going to do to much for you. You cannot magically make big power from an amp unless you deliver big power to the amp. Consider some basic math here. A difference of 3 db on average (not all cases) results in something that you can tell is louder. A difference of 3 db in the audio world as a doubling of something. A doubling of woofers from 1 to 2, 2 to 4. A doubling of power from 100 watts to 200 watts. A doubling of power from 1500watts to 3000 watts. However the most benefit you will gain in your system as far as output levels go, is going to come from the box. It is all about the box and how it couples with the vehicle (called cabin gain). If you want loud and who cares about how it sounds, find the resonant frequency of the vehicle (no e-tailer can do this for you - go to a shop and have a sinewave sweep done and then zero in on the frequency), next build and tune your box to this frequency. This is the road to loud one note bass response but it sucks for listening to everyday music.

If you want to listen to your music, the word compromise must become part of your vocabulary. A ported box as a general rule will also give you a minimum of 3 db more output (in most cases much more in the lower octaves where your deep bass lies and the ability to piss of the entire neighbourhood). Go through what I have written and do a search on some of these topics here on the forum and ask more questions. I am hella busy here at the shop right now and will respond when I have time. Hope you take my advice for what it is and understand a little bit more as to why I am anti e-tailer. No e-tailer I know of right now would have spent this time with you when they could be selling to another unsuspecting customer.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden gives top notch advice ^^^^. Take it.
Additionally, he is 100% correct about those brands. Even online they are a horrible value for the money, in my opinion.
Try this:
I noticed an awesome sale here: http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX801D
Those 800w at 2ohms will rock any budget subs out there, especially if you port.
But that shouldn't be your first step. First measure exactly how much space in your car you have to dedicate to subs. Post back here when you find that out. Then we can help you pick the subs and box that are right for your car.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
yea that's good advice, and those companies are all at the bottom of the barrel, but we already got over that deal, that's what this kid is looking for, so if he wants cheap stuff that will be loud, this is the thing he wants, i'm just trying to give him advice on what he wants. he wanted 15's so i think those would work, personally i would do 12's... but then personaly, i wouldn't buy that stuff anyways... so it's not really about what i think is better or you think is better, he's gonna get what he's gonna get
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
^^^ I agree but let's all give him the proper background on the products he is interested in. This way he can make an educated and informed buying decision that he will be comfortable with.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

^^^^^Absolutely correct, and on par for this forum.  That's the very reason I've been lurking and posting for quite a long time now...the learning aspect of it all.  (I have so many posts only because I learn better by being involved, but it is the generals like Rob that I pay strictest attention to.) 

Anybody on the street can tell me that one cheap sub is louder than another cheap sub, but this forum provides the real story.  Rob of Forbidden has taken on some of the responsibilty of steering, and it's a thankless job.  But he and many others are the soul of the12volt and their students are the next chapter.  I haven't wasted very much time in other car audio forums but from what I've experienced the result of this attention to the basics and the laws of power is what makes this forum so much better for any DIY installer. 

Get on the right path from the start...or at the very least know why you're taking an errant route.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
I really do appreciate all of the advice you guys have givin me. Now i think the title of the post is misleading. I DO want supremely high SPL levels but i dont want to totally cut SQ out of the picture. Now if you say its all about the box (which i beleive) should i just keep my current subs and spend more time on the box. Im not sure how much you like the Rockford Fosgate HE2's but i have gotten good feedback on the amp im using (Autotek SX1200X Class X 1200 RMS monoblock) The he2's combined take 800 rms so i was running 900 to them with the autotek. should i keep these or go with some Mofo's or MTX 7500-9500 series? In my opinion the HE2's werent to bad, considering they are in THE sh*tTI*ST box ever made that i bought from a swap meet. It is a ported bandpass box. I have no idea how many cu. ft it is or what its ported too, all i know is its a piece of sh*t. All the screws got blown out of the plexi and there are hardcore air leaks. I could sell the he2's and amp on ebay and invest in new equipment or keep them. Ill take your guys advice on what to do. Thanks again for all who check back and are educated me in this world!!
Captanham 
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
do the box first, then if you still don't like it, sell them in the box and get something else, you will be suprized, as much as we say it on here,, you still dont' realize HOW MUCH the box really means in this situation, so i'd redo it, and then think about what you want
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

if your looking for a good amp at e-bay price check this out ! >> http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=5769393484&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 

That amp is one heck of a bad actor!  Altho if put it in a vehicle with a stock electrical system it will seriously shut your car off when the bass hits.  An upgraded alt is needed.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
forbidden 
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for taking the time to learn and allowing the people of this site to act as your teacher. I'm not so bad after all now am I. (just don't piss in my cornflakes or bring me another RX8 any time soon).

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic