icon

I dont care about SQ I want SPL How?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well my manual that came with the HE2's says they need 1.25 cu. ft per. it even gives a diagram of what to make. It shows one sub for one box is 14.75 in. H 20.5 in. W and 11 in D. Supposedly that all ads up to 1.25ft3 fb=35. It also shows the prot hole to be 4X15.5 in. So is taht what i should make? I have the tools and materials to construct a box, but i dont think theres any way possible to get that to go into the trunk. If i make the box myself do i just glue it all together with liquid nails and then seal the seams with a sealent, then seal the outside walls with polyurethane? Or do i get it custom made? My shop charges an easy 300 for 3/'4 mdf. Also i got a question about the the angle of the box. Where should the subs point? I had my shop install the autotek so i could get the warranty and they pointed the box towards the back instead of the front. Why? Also, can they be pointed straight up towards the trunk lid? And if i make the box a little different than what it says (like take an inch in Heighth and add an inch in depth or something like that) is that ok? Thanks again. Also is rockford like one of those companies that spend more money on chrome and ads than on products?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

HE2 subs were not designed to be a real balls to the wall kind of sub. The measurements that you gave are what is called gross volume and when all is said and done, will equal the net volume that you listed as 1.25ft^3. This gross volume is the size of the box before the sub and the port is placed into it. It is the recommended "safe" box from Rockford and if you want to build a box to test ideas with, this is the one to do it.

Nothing wrong with having the subs firing to the back, in some vehicles it aids in cabin gain (a good thing). The box can be any shape under the sun as long as the internal gross volume is the same. Go to the volume calculator on this site (in the blue sidebar to the left in the car audio portion) and experiment with measurements that are based on what you have in your car and the ability to get that box into the car.

The box needs to be bang on, meaning dead straight cuts and a good amount of glue to hold it together. Silicone on the inner seams is recommended. These were my least favorite Rockford subs to work with, The HX2's were a whole new ball game. I'm outta here for the night, hopefully one of the other members of the forum can pick up where I have left off.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
I would point the subs towards the back of the care, with them angled up a bit so you get some bass bouncing off the rear hatch. Make sure you do a good job on the box...measure twice, cut once and remember the 6 Ps (Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance).
Rockford isnt really one of those companies that spend more money on advertising and bling, like Audiobahn. But many people think the company has been going downhill in the past years.
Overall I think you will be pretty plesed with those subs in a correctly speced box, especially in a smaller hatchback car, it should get loud enough. if not you can always sell the stuff and get something new. let us know how everything turns out.
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
OK guys thanks a million for all your info and help. When i get my next check i will go buy some MDF and see if i cant put something together thats have way decent and to specs. One other thing, what do i use as a port tube?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Look at PVC tubing at your local hardware store.  It can be easily cut to size.  You can measure its inside diameter and use that when figuring port volume.  Start a new thread when you get to that point and the forum will help you out.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

boardinbum wrote:
Set off a car alarm? I set off my first car alarm with a single 12" Alpine Type E at 250watts RMS. It really doesn't take much. I say you aim for cracking your window.

I set off my first car alarm with my finger. I just saved this kid hundreds of dollars on sh*t he don't need! woohoo I dont care about SQ I want SPL How? - Page 5 -- posted image.I dont care about SQ I want SPL How? - Page 5 -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.