the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Sho' you right, man! But the guy asked, so I told him...
Dlomonosov, Steven is VERY correct in his admonishion of my statement. He is very correct in the respect that it is, indeed, FAR more difficult to take the route I have suggested. *IF* you were to decide to go this way, please keep in mind the statements and points made by him, and realize the difficulty BEFORE you decide to follow...

I was fortunate enough to hear a local IASCA system not too long ago.  It was extremely well setup, and was the best I've ever heard in a car.  He spent a great deal of time and energy on the install and parts.  I must say that his troubles were well worth it as you will definitely not get that kind of sound from an off-the-shelf setup.  It's like I suggest putting your subs up front for the best bass reproduction, but know that few will go through all the trouble as I have. JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype! - Page 2 -- posted image.  However I just wanted to be sure people know what they are getting into first. 

haemphyst wrote:
One thing to remember, though... AVOID AT ALL POSSIBLE COSTS additional signal processing devices. Correct selection of components and proper installation will not need any.

I'm curious why you say this? 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
Dlomonosov : IM going to go a little off topic here and reccomend you take a good look at products from Adire Audio www.adireaudio.com, since you are interested in SQ they are whell known for their attention to sound quality, not just looking pretty like most companys nowa days.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all these replies. I appriciate that. NO, I will not go crazy with building my own crossovers and hand picking everything, I just wanted to get the best sound I can get with spending not crazy amounts fo money. I do understand that with that way you will get the best SQ possible. I saw a lot of stuff I would need on ebay. This guy is selling Infinity Kappa Perfect components 6.5in for $140 used or you can et them new for about $220, in store they go for $400. I know they will sound good, the only thing is their frequency response goes down only to 75hz where regular Kappa's go down to 45hz?! Would perfects lack mids and will rely on the sub? Or I am better of going with regular Kappa's? The Amps I will go with are JL Audio 500/1 and 300/4, but on JL Audio they suggest to go with 300/2 and have 8ohm 25wats resistor to split the 2 channel signal into 4 channels for best quality? I never did that? Any thoughts? And I will go with Infinity Kappa Perfect 10in VQ and mount it free air and if I dod not like the sound i will get a box for it 1cubic feet. What do you think?
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
someone wrote:
if any of you have a chance to go and listen to $100-$200 thousand dollars home audio set ups and realize what SQ is, you have to go and listen to speakers like B&W or set ups like MBL, people who know these Class A Stereophile companies, know what I am talking about.
Hmm, I bet $1 that that system had atleast 50% of that cost is in the cables. It's kind of funny/sad, audiophiles want the best sound, and yet they are so stupid when it comes to what they're actually buying.
I've never seen a system that costs as much as you're talking. For alot less I'd pick up a descent Rotel pre/pro amp with a set of Mackie speakers.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

Diomonosov wrote:
This guy is selling Infinity Kappa Perfect components 6.5in for $140 used or you can et them new for about $220, in store they go for $400. I know they will sound good, the only thing is their frequency response goes down only to 75hz where regular Kappa's go down to 45hz?

Either one responds down to the same frequency.  It's just that higher end speakers might be judged according to stricter criteria.  80 Hz is where you want them to pick up, anyway.  And no way would I ever buy someone's used component speakers.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i wouldn't buy used speakers, , their being sold for a reason.  Would you sell speakers that sound good? probably not. 
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

yea.. i know.. i was affraid to do that too, but everyone that are selling them, say they got rid of the car and now need to sell the speakers.. i guess you right, now that i am thinking about.. i will new Kappa's on ebay for about $150 new, well the amps I think is a different story, I think you can buy the JL amps used, right? to save some money..

The answer to Poormanq45,

Well Rotel is a very good company and they make very good amps, but they are not Class A amps they are in same Class B maybe C category like my NAD amp, considered by Audiophile's. Amps like Mark Levinson, Bryston, Classe are pure CLass A amps, and spend $10-30k for each that need Class A speakers, Like B&W Nautilus (my favorite, they sound magical) $6k, Wilson Audio Watt Poppies about $30k, not even going into MBL's or JM Labs by Focal $80k, plus you need Class A CD Player like Arcam or Toshiba SD9200, these are the cheap Class A brands, you can spend $15k and get MBL CD Player too. Then You need $2k cables to run them. Then you will have pure class A system that uses the best possible components in the wrold to give you the best possible, cleanest pure sound reproduction the industry could offer. But you need to spend money. What I did is, I got everything the best for the money that I can afford and am very happy.

01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Don't mean to be an arse or anything, but audiophiles say everything they can to justify paying extreme amounts for equipment.
It has been proven time and time again in blind a/b tests that extremely expensive amps, like the ones you named, sound no different then slightly cheaper like I said.
Check out this site. My member name is the same there as it is here:
Sound And Vision
Alpine Guy 
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you can buy used amps they are either working or not working, , speakers are different they can be worn out, partially blown and all that stuff.
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Well the Infinity Perfects 6.1 are pretty good. They dont go to low i have em cut at 80hz and my sub is cut at 80 aswell. my whole system does blends ok i guess. THe perfects are pretty decent but your gonna definetly wanna amp them. Their is quite a bit of mid bass in them. without a sub the mid in the door do kinda pound. i feel the aire it moves on my feet. But then im giving em 126WRMS each. they dont distort they take the power well. I honestly would reccomend them. But they are not worth 400USD. Ebay brand new i got for 250CDN shipped using them since october. But yes be very carfeull with ebay you can get screwed easily.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic