icon

JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
I definatly must agree. for temporary placement, i threw in some Infinity reference (yuck) 6.5" 2 way co-ax in my door, with a "response of 53-21,000Hz". Anyways, after installation, on full range off of my HiFonics ZX4000 (100x2), the midbass was... horrible. Anything lower than around 100Hz was either missing or distorted. These speakers were horrible. Good thing i didnt intend to keep them...
Installed my Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5"s... rated 32-5000Hz (for the midwoofer alone)... oh man. Played clean down to around 40Hz without a hint of coloration or distortion.
So really, yes, you DO need to listen to them in the lisenting enviroment to truely find the speakers that suit you (and your budget) best. Just dont be fooled by the big name brands...
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have listened to an ATC setup running off Griffen amps the size of coffee tables. The center channel was the size of a god damn deep freeze and the front and rears were the size of fridges. I was absolutly amazed at the sound but being that the cost of the speakers alone were well over 200 thousand dollars and on top of that you need to toss in amps at, I believe, 60K a piece and a preamp that if memory serves me correctly was around 30k (Mark Levingston), its a heavy price tag and can only be justified by someone who has money to burn. With cabling the system was aproaching 500,000 dollars. BTW this was all in a store in little old Saskatchewan. The guy deals in high end new and used and had the system set up for a client comming in that night from friggin Japan. I just happened to walk in on the right day to hear it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
ackh316 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

JL is a good brand I've had them in my car for over a year now, I have no complaints. The amps give lost of power, I've had the 500/1 pushing Kicker 12L7 didn't have the SQ but was good SPL. Now with the 250/1 with a 12W3 I've been very happy with the SQ and recomended JL amp.

87 Supra
Pioneer DEH-8600
JL VR600cxi
JL TR400cxi
JL 250/1
JL 12W3
hapc 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

I am impressed with the SQ of JL Audio.  The 300/4 is powering my Boston SL 60 components as well as Boston SL95 6X9's, the sound quality is amazing.  I have tried several brands over the years and am very impressed with the JL products.  I am thinking about purchasing JL subs to replace my Kicker Solobarics. 

Hope this helps in some way.

Eclipse 8455, JL Audio 300/4, JL Audio 500/1, Boston Acoustics SL60, Boston Acoustics SL95, JL Audio Prowedge w/ two 10W6V2 subs.
Nodestiny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Though JL audio is good stuff, you pay for it. A lot. JL Audio is overpriced IMO. Mainly because they know they are in the main stream with RF, Kicker, and all the big names. There is better for the money... in fact... i could point you to a sub that will beat the W7 in a pure SQ comparison (even in a smaller box) for about 1/3 to 1/4 the price. Not trying to argue, but i would hate to see everybody jump on that bandwagon without realizing they could spend less and be just as happy (happier actualy, since they spent less :D )
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
My freind went through a few subs in his truck (2 12" Directed Extremes and 1 15" Memphis PR) before he finally settled on a JL 10W3 in a ported box (the other subs were sealed) the JL blows away those other subs, it is much louder and hits the low notes better even though it has a smaller cone area then either of his previous setups, I think this is due in part to the ported box, but it goes to show how good JL subs are. Also it is only getting 250W rms. That being said it was a $200 sub, which is quite a bit of money for a fairly low end 10".
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

Nodestiny wrote:
Though JL audio is good stuff, you pay for it. A lot. JL Audio is overpriced IMO. Mainly because they know they are in the main stream with RF, Kicker, and all the big names. There is better for the money... in fact... i could point you to a sub that will beat the W7 in a pure SQ comparison (even in a smaller box) for about 1/3 to 1/4 the price. Not trying to argue, but i would hate to see everybody jump on that bandwagon without realizing they could spend less and be just as happy (happier actualy, since they spent less :D )

Okay, I'll bite. What is this sub you speak of, since you conveniently left it out of your post?...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
spl144 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
 i think JL is crap for the prices if you by soundstream products online you will get more for your $$$$$$$$$ and its also niceer to look at you can e-mail me and i will give the names of some dealers
Nodestiny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Dayton Titanic MKIII... found here...
10"
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-414
12"
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-404
15"
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-420
Its DUMAX specs, so its accurate information. Plug that into WinISD, Bassbox, whatever your modeling program and plot it against the JL W7. A slightly flatter response in a slightly smaller enclosure. Either sealed or ported.
The only thing JL Audio has on these subs is the output capability. But, for SQ , those specs SHOULD NOT matter. As if you need more SPL, you could buy 2 of these and outperform the JL W7s and still have spent less. Hell, but 3 of em!
Not to mention the warranty is 5 year... VS JL Audio 90day or 1 year... ;)
Unless you need a fancy logo, i dont see any reason these subs would not do a true SQ lover justice. I own a single 12" ported in my home theater with only a single 250watt plate amp, and it adds exactly what the rest of my 5.1 needs for the bottom end (i think it was around 3.5 cubes ported to 20.5Hz, but its been a while, cant remember off the top of my head)
So no hate to JL Audio, great stuff, by why buy the farrari when the SRT-4 is just as fast for 1/4 the price? :D
04 dodge neon SXT
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

I would bet that most people buy a ferrari for more than just to go stupid-fast vroom vroom...

Why buy a car when you can ride a horse? They both get you to the same destination. Why buy a mansion when you can buy a one-room shack. They both protect you from the elements. Why buy a SeaDoo when you can swim? Both run outta gas eventually. I could go on and on with the analogies if you want to use that sort of circular logic JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype! - Page 3 -- posted image.

And I believe JL has a 3 year warranty on their stuff (if installed by a professional). Otherwise you are correct.

What if you have room for only one sub? Then you're screwed on the output part of your equation, Nodestiny, with similar sound quality (I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that the Dayton sub will sound "better" than the W7 in terms of sound quality strictly based on DUMAX numbers, either). I personally would spend the money on the "ferrari", but to each his own...JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype! - Page 3 -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic