icon

JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the 3 year if installed by a professional (authorized at that). That probably is gonna cost some money (having "professional" installation) therefore you basicly pay for the extra warranty. Retail price is often most likely found, so paying anywhere around $800 for a single subwoofer? Versus 5 years regardless who installs it is definatly a sign of a company who stands by their products.
As for SPL, like i said, its not goign to beat a JL Audio W7. Though, MKIII's will be PLENTY of bass for your average listener. Sound Quality wise, i have installed 2 of these... my own 12" and a single 15" in a much tougher evinroment than car audio: Home theater. With i beleive a crazy 6 cubes tuned 19Hz, the 15" MKIII was so insanely loud and hit so freakin low... I have sat in a 150dB cars and this was a totaly differant feeling. Though it still made me feel sick. And really, could anybody argue against DUMAX? I mean, Dumax basicly displays the sound of SCIENCE, and its not easy to argue science...
You get what you pay for in a way... But with JL Audio, you pay for a brand name as well. MTX saposedly has their new series that is less money and will stomp on a W7 ( i know that SPL wise it will, but not SQ...). But MTX can quite frankly "Blow me" as i have yet to hear a single impressive product (subwoofer wise) from them.
The Dayton MKIII is just a PRIME example of what a true SQ junkie could buy and not spend a ton of money on the W7. The W7 is just a more "Widely known" SQ sub with great SPL output (if Micheal Hughes hasnt tought us what a single W7 can do, nobody will).
There is a wide range of subs that will easily compete with the high-priced W7, its just a matter of taking a look (Adire audio, RE, SoundSplinter... just to name a few).
My personal favorite is Oz Audio. though they offer no sub that will "devoure" the W7, they offer subs with a great price that have insane output and over-the-top SQ. JL Audio might have the "upper hand" in the subwoofer SQ department, but are far from superior on the mids and highs. There are a lot of brands that would proudly stomp on JL's component sets. Oz Audio Matrix series is known to be one of the most compeditive in the bunch, offer the IASCA record for flattest response on the RTA. There are a lot of other brands too, such as Focal, Rainbow, CDT, Arc, Adire, etc. that offer higher end front end.
But back on topic...
At that price of a single W7 installed by an authorized dealer, you could afford an entire budget SQ system, complete with amps and front end, or a full out SPL system that would rock the W7s world.
But i guess if you have to have both SQ and SPL in a single sub, the W7 is pretty damn hard to beat.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Very nicely put, Nodestiny. At least you took the time to illustrate the facts behind the opinion. Too often people just say, "Brand X sucks, you can do better for less" and then really can't back up their opinion with anything other than personal bias. Not to say you're right *wink wink*, but nevertheless...JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype! - Page 4 -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Hahaha, thats cool. As long as people are allowed opinion, you are allowed to love the W7. I have been doing car audio for years, fanaticly, and have just recently got onto this board (as CAF's server has gone down hill dramaticly, so need a new home).
You would be honestly suprised if you ever decided to test-drive one of those subs... they are worth every penny.
Either way ;)
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
JL Audio <---- no hype, just loud
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta send a nod in the direction of nodestiny. The Dayton products are good gear - hell, GREAT gear for the money. I am using a pair of the Titanic (originals) in my HT as well, 2.2 cubes sealed, stuffed with one pound of Dacron, braced to within an INCH of it's life... Oh, and beat to DEATH with a pair of Adcom GFA-565 amps. F3 of 24 in a (smallish) sealed box? Give me more of that!!! Anyway, the Dayton stuff is amazing gear for the money, and he is right on about the SQ... Very musical drivers.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I've been on vacation or I would have responded earlier. On page 2 Diomonoson was talking about class "A" amps vs. class "B" or class "C" amps. I think you're missing the terms here. Class "A" refers to non-switching amplification. This means there are only one set of outputs per channel. These are very expensive and are used in higher end equipment because unlike a class "A/B" amp they do not switch between one set of smaller outputs ( used at low power needs ) to a more powerful ( but only used to cover peaks ) larger set of outputs. This is a much more economical way of producing large amounts of power, but since the " switch " can be heard as a lack of smoothness and a "warm" sound in high end systems it is much less desirable. Old school tube amps were also class "A". My question is , since speakers, cd players and all other non amplifier audio equipment don't have output drivers, how can these also be class "A"? And, what is class "B" or "C"?

A few other ideas..... JL dealers can inspect any customer made encloser and if it is tight and built to spec. they can sign off on it and the sub gets full warranty. JL products bought on-line will not be repaired by JL in or OUT of warranty. Opinions on equipment in this forum are just that....opinions on favorite equipment.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
tcss, what he was referring to on page 2 was the "Stereophile Rating", not the class of operation. BTW, "old school" tube amps also came in class A/B flavors as well. I cannot think of even one pure class A amplifier today. While there are many that START as class A, their biases are adjusted to make class A power up to around 20 or possibly 50 watts (depending on the manufacturer, and the total output power) at which point they would switch to calss A/B.
Actually, I can think of one pure class A amplifier: The Accuphase A-60, but you'll notice it's only a 60 watt amplifier. Not much power, but OH, MY GAWD, do they sound good. Aand the price? If ya gotta ask, you probably can't afford it... On the internet, at a DISCOUNT! Look to spend over 11 GRAND! A 100 POUND 120 watt amplifier? with a 300 watt IDLING dissipation? Holy shhhe!
Anyway, there you are. Maybe not EXACTLY the answer you were looking for, or maybe more than you were looking for, but there you are...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Nodestiny wrote:
 And really, could anybody argue against DUMAX? I mean, Dumax basicly displays the sound of SCIENCE, and its not easy to argue science... 

Actually, I could.  But because of my position, I really can't get into the details.  We prefer Klippel reports though as they have quite a bit more information, and are more accurate.   This I believe is what JL uses to engineer their subs. But if you really want to compare DUMAX reports, then that is fine. 

Here's a DUMAX report for the Dayton driver: http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-404dumax.pdf

And here's a DUMAX report for the W7: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DUMAX/JL-10W7.pdf

Of note is the curves shown on the bottom.  They give you quite a bit of information on the "SQ" of the subs.  The less of a change in BL or Kms with excursion, the lower the distortion will be produced.  If you notice, both the BL and Kms curves are parabolic on the Dayton unit.  However the W7's are very flat and extended.  This means that it will produce less distortion over a much larger range of excursion.  This is why I really like the JL as a company.  They have some very good engineers working for them trying to make the best speakers possible.  The W7 IMO is one of the better SQL subs on the market, matched in performance by very few.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

spl144 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
 look here are the facts JL W 7 13.5 about $1000 retail JL 1000/1 $1000 retail yhats 1000 watts rms yes that is a lot of power but think about this sound stream XXX 15 $1400 retail 8500 rms power handling sound stream XXX amp 6500 RMS outputpower 1600 retail and both of these products have a 5 year warranty so think about that its a no brainer and soundstream has a full line of car audio and car video products  that are priced better than anything that even compares in quality anybody that tells you differant is wrong
spl144 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
 look here are the facts JL W 7 13.5 about $1000 retail JL 1000/1 $1000 retail yhats 1000 watts rms yes that is a lot of power but think about this sound stream XXX 15 $1400 retail 8500 rms power handling sound stream XXX amp 6500 RMS outputpower 1600 retail and both of these products have a 5 year warranty so think about that its a no brainer and soundstream has a full line of car audio and car video products  that are priced better than anything that even compares in quality anybody that tells you differant is wrong
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic