the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

But does it really sound quite the same? Power doesn't equate to great sound.

Have you you actually set up an a/b comparison? Sounds like you are caught up in the big power hype. That xxx sub is an spl sub, not really a sql or sq sub, obviously. 

And soundstream has certainly lost some of its clout as it is another company who has fallen victim to cheap over-seas manufacturing, you hype soundstream like they pay you.

Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

I've heard good things about the Dayton subs, but I still don't think they stack up to a W7 (without doing an actual comparison, so this is opinion only).

By the way, has anyone heard the Gotham or Fathom HT subs from JL Audio? They look pretty sweet but I've never actually seen or heard one...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
spl144 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
 this talk about cheap overseas manafacturing is not totaly true the only thing sound stream makes over seas is it there entry level subs and if u really want SQ there picassio tarantula and van gogh stuff is great the power is there and the SQ is there also and for the cost of the JL 1000/1 you could buy 2 12 in tarantula subs and a 900 D amp that would give great SQ now this priceing is only right if u buy from right place dont get me wrong JL is good stuff just not for the price for example the W7 has been compared to the MTX  THUNDER 9500 subs and hands down the MTX SUBS are better  for about $300 less pure sub
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
By all means, I wouldnt say the Dayton MKIII driver is more superior than the W7. Simply, that for the money, for somebody looking for a great SQ sub without spending a ton of cash on it, its a great alternative. The Xmax alone would make the W7 a better SQL driver, but when it comes to nothing but SQ (response) of the driver itself, I wouldnt have a problem putting the MKIII up against the W7. When it comes to output and the distortion rating at those higher outputs, no comparison, the W7 wins. But if Mr. Rodgers came to me and had no care in the world of "bumping" or SPL what so ever, why wouldnt somebody save a few bux and go with the Dayton? I really couldnt see the average pure SQ install using enough Xmax from a good SQ sub to cause distortion, without doing some very strong front end mids/highs. At that point, doing multiple subs will help.
So i wont argue the W7 is a BETTER sub, thats obvious. But when you throw the hefty price tag in there, and since not everybody can/wants to afford the W7, there is alternatives.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
A lot of companies have their subs built overseas anymore. Why? Quality and cost. I had a good talk with Tracy at Kicker about this a long time ago. They wanted to use American companies, but they just did not stack up to international purchases. Much like when foreign cars first came to america, and everybody realized how much more reliable they were, hence, why they got so HUGE in america (come on, you were comparing a honda civic to a muscle car...)
So its not a bad thing to have your equipment built elsewhere ;)
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

spl144 wrote:
 ...dont get me wrong JL is good stuff just not for the price for example the W7 has been compared to the MTX  THUNDER 9500 subs and hands down the MTX SUBS are better  for about $300 less pure sub

Better how? In SPL? That would be a correct statement, as the W7 was not designed to be a pure SPL subwoofer, whereas the MTX 9500 series were (more than the W7, anyway JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype! - Page 5 -- posted image.). Otherwise your statement is way too broad and misleading to be true or accurate.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

Nodestiny wrote:
By all means, I wouldnt say the Dayton MKIII driver is more superior than the W7. Simply, that for the money, for somebody looking for a great SQ sub without spending a ton of cash on it, its a great alternative. The Xmax alone would make the W7 a better SQL driver, but when it comes to nothing but SQ (response) of the driver itself, I wouldnt have a problem putting the MKIII up against the W7. When it comes to output and the distortion rating at those higher outputs, no comparison, the W7 wins. But if Mr. Rodgers came to me and had no care in the world of "bumping" or SPL what so ever, why wouldnt somebody save a few bux and go with the Dayton?......................
So i wont argue the W7 is a BETTER sub, thats obvious. But when you throw the hefty price tag in there, and since not everybody can/wants to afford the W7, there is alternatives.

Oh, I agree that the W7 is very expensive and isn't for everyone.  However you don't tell a Porsche owner that he could have saved a lot of money by buying a Hundai.JL Audio Subs and Amps, is it a hype! - Page 5 -- posted image.  Some people want the best and are willing to pay for it.  For those that don't, well there are quite a few alternatives out there including a good value like the Dayton. 

Nodestiny wrote:
  I really couldnt see the average pure SQ install using enough Xmax from a good SQ sub to cause distortion, without doing some very strong front end mids/highs. At that point, doing multiple subs will help.

I think you would be surprised. Do you have much experience listening to a flat BL sub in a system whether home or car?  It's not uncommon for THD levels to be up above 30-40% in subwoofers even before reaching reference levels.  The distortion levels are very audible in even a pure SQ install, and some people are willing to spend extra money to make it less audible.

As for multiple subs, that usually isn't an option for most car installs.  This requires more power and more enclosure space which a lot of people aren't willing to give up.  Subs like the W7 aren't for everyone, but they do have their purpose in the market.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

Nodestiny wrote:
A lot of companies have their subs built overseas anymore. Why? Quality and cost. I had a good talk with Tracy at Kicker about this a long time ago. They wanted to use American companies, but they just did not stack up to international purchases. Much like when foreign cars first came to america, and everybody realized how much more reliable they were, hence, why they got so HUGE in america (come on, you were comparing a honda civic to a muscle car...)
So its not a bad thing to have your equipment built elsewhere ;)

I've got to totally agree with you on this one.  Just because something is built in China doesn't mean it is of lesser quality than an American made one.  There are some very good manufacturers over there that can produce the same quality stuff for a fraction of the price.  And I think people would be surprised at how many speaker manufacturers get their stuff from over there. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

hapc 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Before today I was only able to comment on the JL amplifiers, I am completely impressed with the 300/4 as well as the 500/1.
Now I can tell you that I am completely impressed with the JL Audio 12W3V2 as well as the JL Prowedge enclosure. I just bought one today and I have not heard a more impressive enclosure as far as SQ.
I am returning the MTX Sledgehammer enclosure I bought 3 days ago, needless to say I was not impressed.
Granted I am not into massive amounts of power or subs that need massive amounts of power, therefore I cannot comment on the W7 vs MTX 9500 or OZ Audio Matrix series.
Eclipse 8455, JL Audio 300/4, JL Audio 500/1, Boston Acoustics SL60, Boston Acoustics SL95, JL Audio Prowedge w/ two 10W6V2 subs.
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic