icon

Why Does My Subwoofer Sound Delayed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AbsolutBrian 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Having recently bought a Rockford Punch sub+enclosure, the "thump" from the sub sounds like it's delayed from the rest of the music. This is especially noticable when listening to techno, as the beats are more precise.
Setup is as follows:
Pioneer CQ-C5410U Head Unit
Sony XM-something amp (this is old. 4 channels.)
Infinity refrence speakers. Rears are 2-way, fronts are component. All are 6".
Audiobahn A2002T amp driving the Rockford Punch P1.
What would cause this "delay" in my bass?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
try switching the polarity on the sub woofer, either your head unit will have that option, the sub amp possibly, , just switch between 0 and 180 , , or you can go directly to the wires on the amp going to the sub and swap the + and - wires.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
oneshot 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I agree Alpine Guy, sounds like a phase issue
AbsolutBrian 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Today I used a 9volt battery to check all my speakers and sub for polarity. I found one front speaker was out of phase with the rest of the system and fixed that.
There still seems to be some delay though. I messed with settings on my HU and found that if I turn off the high pass filter, the delay seems to go away. More testing with a sine wave generated in SoundForge at 50 Hz revealed that even with the high pass filter set at 90 Hz, I could still hear the tone very plainly from the mid-range speakers.
All this leads me to believe that my deck sucks and I should get a new one. Something about the built-in filters is causing wierd problems with my bass tones. I am currently researching new head units. Any input would be great- the only "gotta-have" is either an aux in jack or some kind of iPod connector/controller.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse, or Alpine
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

All this leads me to believe that my deck sucks and I should get a new one. Something about the built-in filters is causing wierd problems with my bass tones. I am currently researching new head units. Any input would be great- the only "gotta-have" is either an aux in jack or some kind of iPod connector/controller.

OK, get a new deck......................I thinking that will,  not solve your problem..... Look at the way your sub is "hooked up" you MUST have a polarity problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,K

AbsolutBrian 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan, can you offer any hints on checking my sub then? I spent all day today doing just that and found to errors. All my speakers are in phase (they all pulse outward when connected briefly to a 9v battery. I don't know what else I should check.
I even reversed the polarity of the sub for kicks and noticed no improvement.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
if your REALLY concered about your system. go to a car stereo shop, and ask for a phase shifter, or the sort. i THINK phoenix gold makes one, not totally sure on that. i dunno if this will solve your prob though.
xTimx
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Kartune, you really didn't help there at all. "look at your sub setup, something is wrong there" He obviously doesn't see anything wrong, so giving him a suggestion as to WHAT it might be would help... I'd like to know what is so obviously wrong about his setup that is so apparent.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Brian, a couple of points:  you said you tested polarity by using the battery test.  That's good for finding out if all the interior mid speakers are in phase with each other, which you said you corrected...but it's not the way to test the sub output's relationship with the mids.  Instead, just do the reversing of polarity at the amp where the sub wires are connected.  Go back to the driver's seat, with trunk lid closed, and listen using your control track on the CD (the song that shows the problem most).  If you find that reversing polarity on the sub doesn't make any difference at all, then it's not a polarity issue.

Next, try enough different music sources on CD, preferably new store-bought recordings, that you can absolutely rule out faults in the recording process.

Then, eliminate what might be an overuse of crossovers.  You said you turned the HP off at the deck and the problem disappeared.  Try this:  turn all settings on the deck to flat 0.  No crossing over at the deck...period.  Use the HP and LP filters on the amps instead.  See if that cures it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic