icon

Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whtcrxghst 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Pioneer did not change anything during production.  We did one that was manu. Sept. 2005 and it took all of 30 seconds to bypass just like the rest.  Maybe the protective wax around the leads was your problem, or a bad ground

n2tahoe wrote:

I attempted to bypass trick on the avic n2 I soldered the two leads under the silver sticker and grounded the brake wire and it DID NOT WORK I was told that it may be because my unit was manufactured in 2005. I believe that it may have worked on the 2004 avic n2 units and pioneer made a change in 2005 and now the solder trick no longer works.

What did work to bypass on the N2. Well here it is.

I installed a toggle switch to shut off the speed sensor wire and a 2nd toggle on the brake wire.

The only way to bypass the N2 is shut off the speed sensor switch, then turn on the brake switch and disconnect the GPS antenna from the hideaway.  My hideaway is mounted under the console with easy access by removing the cup holder. I removed the small plastic clip from the grey tip of the GPS antenna plug, this allows me to plug and unplug the antenna much easier. This allows me to watch dvd while driving, without using the rear camera input.

Also shutting off the speed sens switch while the GPS antenna is plugged in allows me to use all of the Navigation features while moving, such as simply hitting the return home feature, and address lookup.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to install a toggle switch on the GPS antenna? If this is possible please let me know.

I do not want to cut the wire as it may interupt the impedance. How would I add a switch to the antenna, I went to radio shack and the sales rep scratched his head and couldn't help. The closest i got to a solution was at Fryes where I found a Garmin GPS antenna connector that will convert the avic antenna conection to a RCA cable. I would have costed about 40 bucks for the parts to even attempt to install a switch on the GPS antenna without cutting the wire.

o0odvs1o0o 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly! My N2 is BRAND NEW also, manufactured 10-2005! And it took my guy all of 30 seconds to do the solder mod... it took him MORE time to remove the damn silver sticker than to do the mod!! (I wanted to save the sticker, just in case) Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1 - Page 23 -- posted image.   Anyway, like I said, there are ONLY 2 reasons some people say it doesnt work:
1. They are lying
2. They are not doing something correctly!! (ie; not taking the wax off before soldering the leads, not grounding the parking brake, not soldering correctly, etc) AGAIN! I can not stress this enough, IF you are not 100% confident to do this yourself, hire a pro! its worth the few dollars of peace and mind and being free of agrevation!!!!
THIS WORKS!! 100% I was even a 'bit' skeptible about it... I like you, did not want to ruin my $1,300 head unit!! I read EVERY post on here and even called Pioneer, and got them to CONFIRM this trick before doing it, they DID tell me that it would void the warranty though. If you want your nav to work the way IT SHOULD, nav functions working during driving and your passengers being able to watch a movie while driving.. I back this mod 1,000%... if you have ANY doubts, simply dont do it! But it DOES WORK!
Also- I believe Pioneer definitly put these leads there for this trick to work, they want to sell these units but are stuck behind 'laws' telling them they need to have warning signs, etc... unfortunately, we live in a very litiguous world, people always want to sue someone and not take ownership for their mistakes!! so companies need to protect themselves by putting up warnings, etc... but Pioneer definitly put these leads there and then 'leaked' the info, they wont admit it, but they did it. Its just too simple, these TWO leads are sitting there for you to mod so these functions become active... comon!! But we know! Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1 - Page 23 -- posted image.
whtcrxghst 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

It does seem too simple, but its simple for a reason.  Pioneer uses the same exact hardware (with different software) for the units they sell in Europe (see the AVIC-X1) and Asia.  Watching front seat video is legal there so Pioneer had to build in an easy way to make it work.  Not sure why they thought a sticker would keep people out, but it makes sense if you think about it--All they do is leave the sticker off and solder in something between the points for overseas units.

[/QUOTE]

Also- I believe Pioneer definitly put these leads there for this trick to work, they want to sell these units but are stuck behind 'laws' telling them they need to have warning signs, etc... unfortunately, we live in a very litiguous world, people always want to sue someone and not take ownership for their mistakes!! so companies need to protect themselves by putting up warnings, etc... but Pioneer definitly put these leads there and then 'leaked' the info, they wont admit it, but they did it. Its just too simple, these TWO leads are sitting there for you to mod so these functions become active... comon!! But we know! Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1 - Page 23 -- posted image. [/QUOTE]

vulaevu 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
My 2 cents on damn this works! Budy of mine and I took Monday afternoon out to test it. He has the D1 and i have the N2.  First i was skeptical but u never know until you try it. So wham bam thankyou mam. After soldering it, i plug it in and nothing. Screen was blank. got nervious for a min and firgured that i needed to push the reset button. And all be damn. everything works great now and hands down to the guy/girl that figured that out.  We then followed instructions on the D1 and it works great also.. ohh P.S i dont think it matters on when it was manufactored. cux mine is May of 05. Thanks again for this priceless info..
no1see2me 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
n2tahoe wrote:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to install a toggle switch on the GPS antenna? If this is possible please let me know.

I do not want to cut the wire as it may interupt the impedance. How would I add a switch to the antenna, I went to radio shack and the sales rep scratched his head and couldn't help. The closest i got to a solution was at Fryes where I found a Garmin GPS antenna connector that will convert the avic antenna conection to a RCA cable. I would have costed about 40 bucks for the parts to even attempt to install a switch on the GPS antenna without cutting the wire.

No it is not possible to install a switch on the GPS wire. It is coax and carries very high frequencies 'Microwave". I even doubt that you could find a relay to handle that frequency at a reasonable cost.

Now The R-197 mod does work, if it did not work for you then you have other issues such as wax insulating the connection, or you added so much solder that you grounded it out.

Now everyone has there own ways of doing this mod. I used a 0-ohm 0603 resistor in that location because it was availible to me, but I will comment on those radio shack pens. Those pens were designed to repair a trace and after that trace is repaired your supposed to tin it with solder.

What I am saying here is that in the future some if not all of you that used these radio shack pens will end up with intermittants.

trizza 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

For all the ppl searching this website and this post going 'wtf does this bypass for the n2 work or not?' && are scared to try it because they dont want to f*kk up there n2. IT DOES WORK . Got my audio installer to do it, and it works perfectly. The story about it being there for benchmarking purposes while testing is TRUE...im only posting this because i was one of those ppl who were skeptic about trying it but now i know..so ya...its Works. :D

-triz

kf6kmx 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not so much trying to get video to work (hardly watch DVD's at home, let alone on the road :)
What I am after is
1) getting the nav functions to work
(they lock the driver out of controlling it while driving... pioneer never heard of a passenger??! drives us nuts, I have to pull over and stop so my girlfriend can make changes to the route/etc...)
2) kill that %$&^# white warning that comes up EVERY time the radio powers on.. Ok, I get the point, THEY arent responsible if I'm an idiot, I am.. enough already..
Garmin units at least time out on their own after about a minute and it goes to the nav screen.. in some vehicles (large RV's for instance) that radio isnt always close to the driver and convienient to keep having to hit the screen to clear that msg.. if they want the msg there, they should have a timer in it like Garmin to clear after a certain time or distance has elapsed..
My question is, does that mod do both of those? From reading, it appears it does do the nav functions, but will it clear the annoy screen?
Thanks
o0odvs1o0o 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
YES, the mod will let you use all nav functions while driving. The only thing is, the warning message will still come up when you start the car, all you do is click OK, it goes away and never appears again until the next time you turn the car on/off.
whtcrxghst 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

If you have an N2, you might consider getting the voice activation mic.  I just say OK and the screen goes away.  The bypass will fix the navi lockout

kf6kmx wrote:
2) kill that %$&^# white warning that comes up EVERY time the radio powers on.. Ok, I get the point, THEY arent responsible if I'm an idiot, I am.. enough already..
Garmin units at least time out on their own after about a minute and it goes to the nav screen.. in some vehicles (large RV's for instance) that radio isnt always close to the driver and convienient to keep having to hit the screen to clear that msg.. if they want the msg there, they should have a timer in it like Garmin to clear after a certain time or distance has elapsed..
My question is, does that mod do both of those? From reading, it appears it does do the nav functions, but will it clear the annoy screen?
Thanks

o0odvs1o0o 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly! the voice module is fantastic! this is a MUST for the avic-n2, Im pretty sure it works for the n1 too... but as stated by the last poster, you just say OK when the screen comes on, you do need to set the settings for auto-voice, so when the unit powers on it is ready to accept your voice commands, otherwise you just need to touch OK and that 'nag' screen will not appear until the next time you start the unit up... overall, the n2 is a great unit! I cant believe I have gone this long without nav in my car!! Plus, this nav allows you to watch movies... I just create dvds with music videos instead! this way, when a song plays the passengers can watch the video that goes along with it! very hot!! Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1 - Page 23 -- posted image. I fit about 55 music videos (give or take) onto a DVD... Have fun!!
L8r!
Page of 28

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic