icon

2001 mercury cougar remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mistahiggs 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
A customer had a Clifford Matrix RS installed in a 2001 mercury cugar about 18 months ago. The customer wanted us to order another remote, so one of my installers checked under the dash to see what the model the remote starter was. Now the remote start function does not work. I reset the brain and have all the correct voltages on the starter and ignition wires during the remote start sequence. I even tried to swap out the 555f module. The keyless entry still works, but when the remote start is activated the car does not start. The AC and lights come on, and the parking lights blink on and off as if the car is running. Can anyone tell me why the car is not starting? thank
higgs
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Are you getting 12 volts on the starter wire during the initial start routine? Did the remote start portion ever work? Is there a starter kill relay and could the 12 volt feed be wired to the key side rather than the motor side of the starter wire relay?
If you start with the key then engage the remote starter does the engine remain running when you turn the key off? If so then it sounds like the starter output is getting where it needs to to engage the starter motor.
Steve G
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
555s for the cougar, that's probably your new problem
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
have you tried the "shutdown diagnostitcs" to see what that says. pu the key in the igntion then try to RS.
iskidoo 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think the system thinks that it shutdown. If the lights are flashing it thinks that it successfully remote started.
Steve G
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Observe the security light in/on the dash. When you start the car with a good key, the light comes on for a moment, then goes out. If the car does not see a good key, the light will flash rapidly----and that means you have a problem with your bypass.
mistahiggs 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
As far as I can tell, the brain thinks the car is running.  I have every electrical indication that the system is doing everything it's supposed to, but I have no mechanical functions, no ignition, no starter.   Possible that the brain is fried?  If so, does anyone know what Viper brain I can swap it with?
iskidoo 
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Does it have the relay pack or satelitte relays? Or are the high current connections internal in the brain?
Steve G
mistahiggs 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
it has the relay pack for the high current connections, then smaller guage ribbon to the brain
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
if you have power to the igntion wires and STARTER wire form the relay pack, when you remote start, then it wont be the alarm.
im just confirming this....you do have power on ALL ign. and acc wires also have power to the STARTER wire.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic