icon

I’ve really done it this time

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, long time no post for me here but now I need help!

I was installing my mother inlaws keyless entry and remote start system from Bulldog Security into her 05 Corolla. Now, the problem lies in the C/Lock. In the package came this fancy dual led test probe. So, I put my DMM away to try this fangdangled thing out. Green LED means positive and Red LED means a negative feed. Well in my great wisdom I got confused and thought Red means positive like usual! So, the great genius typing this gave the system a positive feed when it really required a negative. Good move huh?

So, I hit the button to test before I realised what had happened. The locks "flickered" but didn't actually lock. Then, nothing. I checked the Bulldogs fuse and it had blown (15amps) I pushed the cars switch and the relay activated but no doors locked! Ahh shhh! I checked the cars C/Lock fuse (25amps!) and it was fine, the relay is clicking so I'm presuming it is fine. I haven't gone to far into it because I don't want the mother in law to know that I'm clueless as to what has gone on. I simply put the car back together and mumbled some excuse to her that I need to get some extra wire and that until I get it the C/Lock is out of action. She is happy with that answer so far.

Now guys...please?! Help?! What have I done and what do I need to do fix my stuff up?

The dash panel doesn't come out without removing the steering wheel and airbag. What a stupid idea that is but thats how it is put together. So, tracing the wiring back is going to be really dificult.

Have I screwed all the actuators?

I don't know if I have shorted out any wiring because I never saw/smelt that horrible smell of an accidental weld.

C'mon guys! Help please?

btw, did I mention that my wife and I married in Australia where I'm from and that my mother in law has only known me for two weeks?.......

Check all advice given with a meter
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 402
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

i doubt it, the "negative" trigger locks  usually rest at 12v, so you should be ok, i bet you blew a fuse in the car. check under the hood, or check the fuse panel.

overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the fast reply!

I will definetly check that out.

Can you or anyone else think of what I should check out whilst I'm doing that?

Ican't think of fuse Iwould've blown though. Everything seems to be working fine.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
my friend you suffer from inexperience.... not that you bought Bulldog ( which is going to cause you grief anyway ) but that you would ever work on your mother in law's car......those of us in the biz already know that out of a thousand installs you do, the only one that will go wrong is the one you do for friend or family.....and the worst dissatisfied "customer" you can have in your life is a mother in law.....      dude, you have my deepest condolences......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I've been in the biz for seven years now so I still consider my a noob but I worked on my last mother in laws car and it went like a dream....

Will you come to my funeral? Please?

btw, any ideas?

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
as mentioned, probably a fuse...most vehicles are built with multiple protection circuits these days... and also, multiple fuse boxs, make sure you find them all and check all appropriate fuses..... and then use your DMM.... come on, what were you thinking??
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hey! It looked like a nifty little device that I just had to try out!

I have found another use for it though! It's good when tyring to locate the RPM wire! When it flashes it's tits off (Aussie saying) I know I found the jackpot!

overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, all the fuses are fine. Sometime in the next week I'm going to check where there is power and where there isn't.

Any other suggestions guys?

whitey 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

integration relay, or that is what toyota calls it.  I had a guy do the same thing 3 years ago on a camary.  Bill was $600+ from Toyota.  

and that is Canadian

Visions Edmonton
Installation Manager, DLS
MECP Certified First Class
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

RKE ModulePASSENGER REAR QUARTER PANEL
Motor LockBLUEIN EITHER KICK PANEL *
Motor UnlockREDIN PASSENGER KICK PANEL *
Drv Door UnlockREDIN DRIVER KICK PANEL *
OEM RelaysINTERGRATION RELAY AT DRIVER JUNCTION/FUSE BOX

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic