icon

Remote Start Safety

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
If that was in reply to my question, there are some manual transmission vehicles that have a neutral gear indication wire, but because they ARE relatively uncommon, I was trying to find out just what conditions these manual tranny approved units require before considering it "safe to start".
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
If that was in reply to my question, there are some manual transmission vehicles that have a neutral gear indication wire, but because they ARE relatively uncommon, I was trying to find out just what conditions these manual tranny approved RS units require before considering it "safe to start".
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
dualsport the manual safe units require hooking additional wires to the parking brake and door trigger. The unit must be set up into a reservation mode which involves insuring the shifter is in nuetral and the parking brake is applied. The vehicle remains running and when you exit the vehicle it detects the door closing and assumes from then on that if you exited the vehicle with it running it was safe to do so. If the door is opened after that it will come out of reservation mode and be unable to remotely start. Certain vehicles like t-tops are not recommended but can be done safely if you add a microwave sensor that will drop it back out of reservation if someone reaches into the interior. This prevents someone from reaching in afterwards and bumping the shifter or releasing the parking brake.
Steve G
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the explanation- that's pretty clever; while it may not be totally foolproof, sounds like it would need a deliberate effort to thwart the safety, the way it's set up.
I assume the setup is an active process that has to be done each time he exits the car. I recall reading someone mentioning a customer thought it was a hassle when told about the setup requirement, but I didn't know just what it actually entailed. I guess it wouldn't be much of a hassle if there were just some pushbutton that can be pushed prior to exiting the car, which would activate a circuit to hold the ignition on after removing the ignition key, until the last door is closed and the car armed with the remote, setting up the RS reservation mode. Wouldn't be very user friendly otherwise, if it had to be restarted after driving just to do this process.
vietfrost 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

Well its a uncommon alarm made by Carvox. Its the King-Eagle model I think. Bought it off ebay http:///.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2-Way-LCD-Pager-Car-Alarm-and-Remote-Starter_W0QQitemZ8001837272QQcategoryZ33721QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem 

and the car is a 1997 honda accord lx. Remote start works finely, but i haven't bypassed the clutch yet because I haven't wired the brake input and anyone could just drive off with it without the keys. Oddly I haven't got the shock sensor to activate the alarm after it has started remotely. You would think after banging on the shock sensor that thee alarm would go off and shutdown the car. I'm not an idiot, i know the dangers. My friend's car ran off after school while all the students were leaving campus. Luckily it only rear ended a 3 day brand new truck instead of anyone else. Ended up paying 3000 for the damage. It wasn't his fault, one of his friends was messing with the gears and he left the car in gear with the parking brakes down when he left.

So uh back to the question. would i need to wire up any relays or could i just solder in the (-) Neutral Safety Switch Input to the Parking brake indicator? Does anyone even know where the parking brake sensor is? Its not in any of the wiring diagrams i've seen and i don't really want to mess with the instrument cluster if I don't have to. Its kind of expensive at the dealers.

Another member said I use the Hood Pin wire instead of the neutral safety wire but then wouldnt the  alarm go off every time the arm the car since the parking brake is up?

One more thing, doeos anyone know what the Yellow wire on the alarm that you connect to the (+) Ignition Input of the Key Cylinder? You know the one that provides +12v  when the ignition is on and while cranking the starter. Whats it for?  Seems to work fine without it.

Well thanks for the input. Peace out and bee friendly no flaming.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic