icon

Delayed relay output?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, 10A is fine, I really doubt it would draw more than that. I just like to assume worst case to be safe-
icarus_icarus 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  

okie, I'll check it out tomorrow hopefully :)

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, if you don't mind using extra relays, you'd be better off just wiring in one to isolate the output signal from the car's ign circuit.
Then you don't need any diodes, which is better since there's no diode voltage drop in the ignition feed.
Delayed relay output? - Page 10 -- posted image.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

How do installers avoid using so many relays in a system? If I do it this way I'll be up to 9 relays for this silly RS system! They are getting hard to hide! I made a cool bracket for them so they are organized but all the wiring to them is getting a bit much :(

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
One trick I used to use back in the day is instead of using a bunch of individual relays I would use DEI 451Ms.  They are basically two smaller relays in one enclosure.  They are much easier to hide.  The only disadvantage to them is that they have a common positive feed on them.  This is rarely a problem, but if it is you can open the box up, cut a trace on the circuit board, and add an addional wire to create separate positive inputs.  I believe the 451Ms are 10A relays, which will work for most applications.
Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, you could use smaller relays or those dual units, especially for the applications where you don't need any current handling. The ones for signal latching and signal inverting definitely don't need the beefy 20A standard relay; they can be subminiature ones that would be much smaller.
You have to decide whether the space saving is worth having to buy other relays, or just using the ones you already have on hand. Probably could even rig up a circuit using some solid state stuff which would be smaller, but the relays would be easier to work with, since you don't need to concern yourself with ESD and stuff.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Great, I finally got an email back from the company about the ground out while running wire and they said

" I think the ground out output was overcharged and blew up!  You can put up to 3 relays on this wire, if you put more you will overload the circuit.  If using more than 3 relays, you must use an additionnal relay that feed all the accessory relays by amplifying the ground out circuit.

Unfortunatly you will have to replace the unit. Have a nice day! ==========
Tech Support Team
"

No where in the install manual does it say this or on thier website. I originally only had two relays going to it and now have three, but still... They offered no suggestions as to switching the module which the store will not do again (I even told them about the other module with the ACC wire). The store will send it out to be repaired which I am not willing to do as this should be running properly as its installed correctly...

I'm about ready to pull this whole rs system out and either fire it in the garbage or raise some @#ll with the company and store...

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
See if you can measure the current draw on the relays you're using; or see what the impedance of the coil is; if it's about 75 ohms, that would be about 175mA each.
Three of them would be a bit over the 500mA rating, but if they used components that pop with just 5% overcurrent, the design is pretty lacking.
Even a 500mA fuse wouldn't blow at exactly 500mA, they have a margin above the rating before they open up.
If your relays are lower power than that, then it must have been bad to start with.
Probably not worth dealing with the company any more and chalking it up to just a bad design; use the ign output scheme instead.
Have a nice day indeed.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

They sent me an email today that said to go see a professional installer... I guess they're not concerned with offering support to their customers...

I know your right about chalking this up to bad design, as well as poor service on their part, but I emailed them back anyways saying that I could send them the diagrams I have made to do this install etc, etc... I bet I wont hear back from 'em ;)

I really haven't spent alot of time on this, but its been drawn on trying to figure out the final defrost circuit and the troubles with the module itself... I'll try to make some time this week to actually finish it off for good and leave it alone...

I'll let ya know what I find out about the relays etc thou as well :)

icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

They gave me a phone number to call and siad to call them when I had a test light in hand and was sitting in the car Delayed relay output? - Page 10 -- posted image.

I haven't had a chance to do anything else yet with it (not even close up the dash) becasue of work and the snow :(

Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic