Delayed relay output?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icarus_icarus 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:
or you could just use the DEI 611T which will do exactly what you want.... it's a timed latching relay module

I thought the 611T only would time up to 100 sec. and was rated for 5A?

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
An easy and rough way to estimate the time delay is to take the capacitance and multiply it by the resistance, to give you the seconds. That should get you in the ballpark, which you can tweak up or down as necessary.
100uF would be 10E-6, or 0.000010 farads
5.6Mohm is 5.6E6, or 5,600,000 ohms
Find some combination that will give you the 600 seconds for your 10 minute delay.
I'd just get the cheapest resistor you can find there, don't worry about power rating at all, since it's really not going to be anywhere near the smallest one you could ever find. It'd take over a thousand volts for it to reach just a 1/4 watt.
Same thing with the caps, a cheap electrolytic would do the job, no need to get the fancy stuff.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

So, like this?

Delayed relay output? - Page 3 -- posted image.

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, that should work- use a switched line for the +12V to the relay that only goes high when you're in remote start mode, like ignition, and you should be in business.
You can use a small relay for that inverter, since you don't need to use a high current one (unless you've already got a bunch stocked up).
And what did you use to draw this up? Looks like everyone can draw out neat schematics except me- Delayed relay output? - Page 3 -- posted image.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

I used Paint Shop Pro Delayed relay output? - Page 3 -- posted image. 

I've got a bunch of Bosch relays here already so figured I'd just use two of them, actually the only thing I need is the transistor (well, I'll have to put a few resistors in series to get 5.6M thou!)

I figured I could hook the ground to the 'ground out while running' on the RS so it would only works while under remote start...

icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

Daymm, that Mouser.com site has alot of stuff! The more I look at it the less I feel I ever knew about this things! lol...

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
Yep, lots to play with; all ya need is the time! Delayed relay output? - Page 3 -- posted image.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

Instead of building a timer why don't you just use the timer of the remote start?  Assuming the remote start only stays activated for 12 mintues (estimate) that would be a perfect timer.  You could cut down your parts list tremendiously.

Use the (-) channel to activate the relay on the right.  This relay will get its positive from the accessory out of the RS (so it will only latch when the car is remote started).  The relay on the right will provide a latch to the relay on the left.

Since you are using the accessory output you will need to diode isolate the accessory circuit of the vehicle, this is the only 'snag'.  If you have access to the 3A diodes wire four of them in parallel. 

So, you remote start the car.  Both relays have 12VDC on one side of the coil.  You hit the AUX button and both relays pull in.  They will stay energized for as long as the car is remote started.  When you end the remote start session you can manually turn the defroster on.

Delayed relay output? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Kevin Pierson
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
check this out it mite helphttps://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=65372&PN=0&tpn=1 lol.
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, good idea using the timed remote start period- sounds like the best way to go for this application, the pencil vs. space pen -Delayed relay output? - Page 3 -- posted image.
If you add a diode between 87 and 85 of the right relay, (stripe towards the 87) it'll latch with a momentary (-) pulse from the remote start, if you don't want to configure it in latched output mode. That way you don't have to keep track of whether the control output is latched on or off.
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic