icon

rock music and my set up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudwhisper 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
hello i listen to basically rock music all the time and next thursday im probably buying a sound system. I have been looking into parts of the sound system to see what i could get to work around my price range. What i have so far is:
Alpine MRP-M350 amplifier
2 12" kicker comp subwoofers c124 series (150 RMS)
and a sealed enclosure
(also all the appropriate wires)
what i was wondering is if anyone has that set up, or close to that set up, or has ever heard that set up played before and im asking your opinion on what you think about that setup and rock music
honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

I listen to rock music too. I have a Kx1200.1 and two L7's. does a pretty good job. But due to price range that sounds pretty good. Personally if i were you i would save your money and buy some thing a little better. but how loud do you want it. do you want sq or spl or both.

you can't be ahead of the curb if you aren't LIVIN LOUD
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Rock music means its gotta be all about the SQ. Forget SPL cause thats for Rap. A sub with a wide frequency range and a couple of full range 6x9's will do you justice.
Sonic Electronix has lots of stuff in your price range im sure. Kicker Comps are on for 2 for $89. so if you got extra cash go for some CVR's or somethin a little bigger. Ampos arent my specialty so ill leave that to someone else.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
thats where i was looking... on sonic elecronix
the deal with 2 kicker comps for $89.99
anyone have a good suggestion to a nice set up around $300-500 that is good with rock music
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
also whats SQ and SPL?
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
SQ stands for sound quality.  It's how responsive an smooth a speaker sounds.  SPL is sound pressure level.  It's how loud a speaker is.  Usually rock is geared more towards SQ subs because of the quick beats.  Rap is mainly for SPL speakers because it is loud and boomy, but doesn't hit all the notes if they are quick.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
so if im looking for a wide range of frequency...give me an example of wide range
would 27-500 Hz be good for rock?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

audiobhan101 wrote:
Rock music means its gotta be all about the SQ. Forget SPL cause thats for Rap. A sub with a wide frequency range and a couple of full range 6x9's will do you justice.

This is an interesting statement. First of all, SQ=sound quality and SPL= sound pressure level (not to be confused with decibels). So why wouldn't you want a BALANCED system, consisting of the capabilities of (high) volume and good sound quality?. I just don't feel classifiying music types to different types of so called setups is reasonable. I would recommned auditioning different subs and speakers, and if you really feel like blending your system, consider what each speaker is capable of (frequency response) and setup your x-overs accordingly. 

A good system will contain a clean source unit, excellent front stage and a solid sub section. I wouldn't even worry about rear fill. And this system would be capable of playing all types of music.

loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks alot dwarren... lol one of my friends uses a screen name and in his name is "warren"
but i mean sound quality? will it be clear? i dont want a bad sounding system
i mean it would sound better then what i have now but i dont want to listen to a song and be like "ew"
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

You can go to THIS SITE to see what some people have had to say about these subwoofers.  They should be relatively clear and you shouldn't be like "ew."

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic