icon

2000 Grand Am, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chaos6401 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM SE without keyless entry. I want to install a remote start in it. Do I need a passlock or anything like that? If so, what model? Any suggestions on brands of remote start with keyless entry?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
you'll need a Passlock II bypass.... use a GMBP or 556L or PLJX
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I am having problems installing the passlock bypass. I go the crimestopper brand one. It says to connect the wire to the black wire in the ignition harness. The only black wire is really tiny. Is that correct?
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
acutally it said black or ORANGE / black wire. I didnt see and ORANGE / black wire only a little black one.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Off the ignition cylinder you will find a taped harness with a white, black and yellow wire in it. It is separate from the ignition switch plugs/harnesses. The Passlock II signal wire is the yellow and the Passlock II ground reference wire is the black wire. You can get to them either through the radio hole or by removing the instrument cluster.
sparky
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
sparkie wrote:
Off the ignition cylinder you will find a taped harness with a white, black and yellow wire in it. It is separate from the ignition switch plugs/harnesses. The Passlock II signal wire is the yellow and the Passlock II ground reference wire is the black wire. You can get to them either through the radio hole or by removing the instrument cluster.
So the passlock wires are not in the same bunch of wires that the starter, accessory, 12volt constant wire are in? Where exactly are the passlock wires located? left or right of the wires I am talking about?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
If you unplug the white and black plug out of the ignition switch you will notice the only other harness coming off the ignition switch. There is no plug to release it from the ignition cylinder. It usually is covered in fabric black tape. The only other thing that comes off the switch is the cable that connects it to the shifter. Use a light and you will find the Passlock harness. There is enough slack to allow you to splice in your wires. Just don't use a lot of force as you could rip the wires out of the ignition switch.
sparky
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2000 pontiac grand am and I was doing an passlock 2 bypass. I hooked everything up and tried to start the car and nothing. So then i removed the bypass to get back to normal and nothing. Lights on the dash were flickering, the speedometer was moving up and down and I could hear a clicking in the engine when i turned on the lights (no lights came on). I thought it was a battery issue so i bought a new battery and my car started. Then 2 hours later I came back and tried to start the car and it wouldnt start. Same thing as before.   I have the battery on the charger now. Any ideas?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Dirty battery cables???
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged