icon

2000 Grand Am, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kimberley 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

which remote start did you hook up...check your starter wires. make sure that you have them hooked up in the right direction and that you have a good connection....check you remote wires....even if the bypass was bad, the car should still try to start.  if it does not...you have a wiring issue, not a dead battery....start at the ignition harness from the key cylinder, make sure all your signals are good from there...work your way to the brain.  i had the same issue once, bad connection on the starter wire...took me 2 hours to find out that i had a bad connection.

hope this helps.

dxdmi
chaos6401 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
kimberley wrote:

which remote start did you hook up...check your starter wires. make sure that you have them hooked up in the right direction and that you have a good connection....check you remote wires....even if the bypass was bad, the car should still try to start.  if it does not...you have a wiring issue, not a dead battery....start at the ignition harness from the key cylinder, make sure all your signals are good from there...work your way to the brain.  i had the same issue once, bad connection on the starter wire...took me 2 hours to find out that i had a bad connection.

hope this helps.

Its an ultrastart remote starter, but i never installed it yet, only the bypass and then i removed it. I cut the starter wire and soldered it back together. The wire is tight so i just soldered it and not twisted the wires together. Could that be a problem? Why is it draining my battery?
03sd 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure the battery is going dead? Is the new battery taking some good amps on the charger?
Bob O.
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
03sd wrote:
Are you sure the battery is going dead? Is the new battery taking some good amps on the charger?
when i test the 12volt red constant wire in the ignition harness i get a reading of ~7.00 on my voltmeter. When i put the charger on the new batter the reading on that wire will read ~13.5.   Im charging my battery as we speak. its half way charged.
03sd 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
So after just 2 hours with a new battery it was dead? Yikes - must be a big draw somewhere. Do you have a low amp clamp and a DMM? That is the best way to monitor current draw, being that it is non-intrusive. You didn't leave something on??
Bob O.
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
03sd wrote:
So after just 2 hours with a new battery it was dead? Yikes - must be a big draw somewhere. Do you have a low amp clamp and a DMM? That is the best way to monitor current draw, being that it is non-intrusive. You didn't leave something on??
I have a DMM but not a low amp clamp. I didn't leave anything on. I don't think its the battery. Where would the draw be. Any way to reset the computer?
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Would a bad alternator do this? I was having problems starting the car on the first try all last week.
chaos6401 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I noticed that the red battery bolt is warm after being connected. Almost seems like there is a draw. When i turn on the lights or try to start the car there is a click from the box(maybe computer) above the passenger kick panel. Any thoughts on what could be shorting out or how to reset the system?
jamz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

Just installed a remote start in a 2001 pontiac

the typical passlock 2 bypass is too sensitive

for that car what will work is a peripheral ppl-data bypass

JAMZCUSTOMZ

aftermarket solutions n.w. Spokane Wa.

jamzcustomz
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
jamz wrote:

Just installed a remote start in a 2001 pontiac

the typical passlock 2 bypass is too sensitive

for that car what will work is a peripheral ppl-data bypass

JAMZCUSTOMZ

I have been using PLXR for many years on those cars without probs.

aftermarket solutions n.w. Spokane Wa.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic