icon

how many of what size subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jsesterly 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, here is my "evil plan"..   I have a 83 burb that I am totally redoing inside to outside. It will be a daily driver where I wont be listening to the stereo really all that loud, or at least nothing a normal stereo wouldnt be able to handle, but will occasionally crank it up.  Now comes the fun part.. I want to make this into a tailgate machine..(nothing monster garage or anything) I am a huge football fan and want to be able to take it to games and show it off a bit. I plan on adding 2 tv (small) screens and a dvd player. While tailgating I want to be able to hear the radio nicely outside the 'burb. I am also going to be hooking up my directv so while waiting for our team to play we can watch other games (via 40" tv That I'll take along), I'd like to be able to hear it through the speakers in the burb. So Really I guess I dont need "killer" bass as much as I need loudness. All speaker holes (doors) and throughout the burb will be made by me, so i can basically put anything where ever I want. The burb seats are all being replaced with a new set of durango seats, which the 3rd row isnt as wide..leaving me about 5 inchs on both sides. I need to keep the rear somewhat open (so i can slide in my 40" tv) and for extra coolers and such. I plan on building a "box" in the shape of the spare tire holding 2 of the 10's, and thought about putting one in a not yet built center console.. My burb already has 2 batteries, and I am adding a 3rd as soon as my isolator gets here.. 1 is to run the burb.. 1 to run my extra crap (winch,lights....whatever else) and the 3rd for the amps/stereo.. I have bought 3 10" Kenwoods, no deck yet, no amps, no other speakers. And yes I already looked into getting some brownbag on ebay. I just didnt think the 2 10s in the back would be enough to hear on regular days that far back..let alone when I wanna crank it up. I'm not looking for anything to "compete" with.. just some fun on sundays that doesnt sound like crap.
Circut city wasnt much help.. after trying to explain what I planned on doing he kinda blinked a few times and said.. you may want to come back later and speak to our dept manager.. Thaaaaanks buddy. BIG help.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Lol first off this isn't something ya want done at best buy or circuit city. I dunno about you but most people who work there in my area are no older then 16 and just got there MECP Basic cert. Your going to need a 2nd battery probally a yellow top or similar design. Gonna need high wattage to the subs, and high watts to the doors. When you are runing this stuff your gonna want it to be off the second battery. Also get a new alternator. Your gonna show off and need some space to stash all the tailgating gear, so fiberglass, rims, etc is recomended. Also to answer the topic question 2 high wattage subs id say over 1kw each, atleast 12 but id lean to 15's.
jsesterly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah HO alt is on the way.. have dual batteries already in it. Its a 6.2 diesel! haha. adding the 3rd battery for extra toys. I'm adding plenty of outside stuff.. 17" Hummer rims going on after paint is done, sits on 33's but going up to 35's. fab'in bumpers front and rear.. Anyone know how to get flames to come out of an exhaust? HAHA. but right now im thinking of inside.. I have all carpet torn out, seats out.. headliner..all plastic.. out! Once I figure out exactly how many speakers I want to fit in I'll start building the center console,dash, and box.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
The way most flame exhaust works is that inject propane into the exhaust and the heat just ingnites that. But check the law where ya live, might be illegal i know it is in my state.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

I'll put in my 2 cents. Before you go to crazy on amps and subs and all, you need to think about the very best head unit you can afford.

Big Dave
jsesterly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  

speedwayaudio1 wrote:
 very best head unit you can afford.

true, I was looking at the Kenwood kdc-x789, has 3 preamp outputs, aux in, 22 w 50 max x4. Figured that would be enough.. No?

jsesterly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  

godblessdremil wrote:
The way most flame exhaust works is that inject propane into the exhaust and the heat just ingnites that. But check the law where ya live, might be illegal i know it is in my state.

i was joking about that... well.. kinda. it would be neat. :)

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
jsesterly wrote:
Yeah HO alt is on the way.. have dual batteries already in it. Its a 6.2 diesel! haha. adding the 3rd battery for extra toys. I'm adding plenty of outside stuff.. 17" Hummer rims going on after paint is done, sits on 33's but going up to 35's. fab'in bumpers front and rear.. Anyone know how to get flames to come out of an exhaust? HAHA. but right now im thinking of inside.. I have all carpet torn out, seats out.. headliner..all plastic.. out! Once I figure out exactly how many speakers I want to fit in I'll start building the center console,dash, and box.
  there was a segment on trucks today about shooting flames from tail pipes. if you go to www.powerblocktv.com there is a how to on it.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
as far as your needs with your system. get a good H/U which was already suggested and the kenwood kdc-x789 would work. also your speakers for the front doors. i would get a good set of componets.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic