icon

Lets start a new trend

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I've decreased my posting on this forum to nothing over the past few months due to the repetative topics created. Almost everything asked has been answered 20 times before.
But that's not what I'm here to say now. I'm annoyed by all the people that spew wattage and dB numbers without a single mention of THD/SQ(they say SQ, but have they measured it?)
I want to start a new trend. Instead of a 1k+ watt system that can hit 150dB, why don't we try for a 1/3 octave c-weighted +-3dB from 20~20khz at 80~90 dB.
IMO this would be MUCH "cooler" then having a system that has a +-30dB from 20~500hz with 10% THD.
I don't really care how much power you use to get to the "ruler flat" frequency response. Use whatever means necessary.
Unfortunately I know that this will NEVER happen due to the fact that you can throw together an all bass system capable of hitting 150dB for ~$500
I'd just like to see all these young people getting into our hobby be influenced the right way. SQ should be the number ONE goal of ANY system. SPL should come second to that. Unfortunately younger people are being mislead into believing that the louder it is, the better it is, no matter what.
I guess when you reach that 150dB distortion doesn't really matter because you can't hear anything at all
/resume lurker mode
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Although I agree wtih you here, audio is simply a matter of taste, so you are right  you probably won't see any body spewing numbers about how flat their RTA readings are, but if you'd like you can meter my car.

Bass is fun, it's like fast cars, people are drawn to it. I still like big bass, but I MUCH prefer a well balanced, good sounding system.

fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
well said you are both right and thats how life is. they will find there way and if not ,they will be deaf from all that horrible noise.Lets start a new trend -- posted image.
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:

Unfortunately I know that this will NEVER happen due to the fact that you can throw together an all bass system capable of hitting 150dB for ~$500
I'd just like to see all these young people getting into our hobby be influenced the right way. SQ should be the number ONE goal of ANY system. SPL should come second to that. Unfortunately younger people are being mislead into believing that the louder it is, the better it is, no matter what.
I guess when you reach that 150dB distortion doesn't really matter because you can't hear anything at all
/resume lurker mode
Thats' why there are sq and spl competitions.

I also would like to know how you can "throw together an all bass system capable of hitting 150db for~$500"  If you can do it let me know, I know plenty of people who have "thrown together" an all bass sysem for no less than $2000, and still aren't capable of breaking 150 db on a term-lab meter!

Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
I will second that, we spent wuite a few moonts and well over $1500 to have a system that did over 150db.   153.5 to be exact.
That was on one battery and one alternator both in the factory locatation, and all equipment behind the strut towers.
I know I can back up my teams specs.     Feel free to look up my Girlffriend    Meghan Bailey, she competes in USACi, and ran 301-900 Basic stock last year.
If anyone else wants to brag it dosent mean anything untill you can back it up, Visit Soundoff.org to check our stats
Meghan Bailey
Scott Thomas
That is 2 of our listed members
This year we will have an SQ car in the lanes as well, but whats next we will hear someone say I know people who can throw an SQ car together for less then $500
I know we are almost $2000 into the SQ car and we dont have any speakers yet.   And thats at My cost!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
try for a 1/3 octave c-weighted +-3dB from 20~20khz at 80~90 dB.

That's not a new trend, it's what I've done for years.  And as has been stated above, there is NO competition-level "thrown together" system possible for $500.  It's the kids who lie about their untested or non-standard test SPL numbers and who boast about their 2KW fake peak ratings in their $500 systems that clog up this and other boards with their BS.  Notice that none of the pros ever do that, unless they are asked (or unless the thread is about that.)

Support the12volt.com
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
i wanna kno were you figure you can put a system that is gonna hit 150 db together for 500 bux?
james048a 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have to agree, nothing like a good SQ system.
There is more fun and designing of a good SQ system then meer bass.
* Alpine IVA-D310,
* Alpine NVE-N872A nav,
* Alpine PXA-H701,
* Alpine MRV-F345, MRD-M1005
* Alpine Type-X 10"
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
I can't stand to sit in an all bass system, i have ears that are to well musically trained to tolerate it, especally cause most have the gains set way to high.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

A few thoughts.

I agree with Poorman, a lot of the top posters are not here as much. Ham Fist, Kgerry, Sedate, Alpine Guy, Paradigm and Auex. Don't see as much of these guys anymore. And where is Steven Kephart ?It does get boring answering the same questions, but that's kinda why we're here.

I've always equated SPL owners with having a slight " look at me " insecurity complex. But hey, I'll put it in if you'll pay for it.

Poorman, hang around, you are always good at stirring up the pot!

There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic