icon

Modding Avic-N1/N2 Nav DVD’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ohlarikd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
The wood one - I will try to save it back to a PIM and put it on the DVD.  Maybe it ends up ok on the AVIC screen? 
wrecklesswun 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
any takers on my idea ? I did a little research, and it seems that alot of the prompts are in what appear to be the firmware, but i can't be sure. Also, is it known what processor these units operate with ? If i can get a hold of the instruction set, we could problaby disassemble the firmware.
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
Irfan view - it loads the RAW image as 16-bit, but saves it as 24 bit. If you save the file, then reopen it with 0 bytes header and 24 bit color RGB Interleaved, it loads again. You'll see the file size is bigger too.
The header is easily added back with HackMan, I did it. But the 24 bit issue is a problem. I don't see an option to save it that way... it only allows downsampling to 8 bit, not 16 bit.
Errrrg.
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is most definitely that these image programs load in the '2-bytes per pixel' format (16-bit), but only save them as '3-bytes per pixel' (24 bit RGB).
We just need an application that can save it as 16-bit RGB color in 5:5:6.
If you open the RAW file in Irfanview, then save it as RAW, it becomes 24 bit. Go to Photoshop, which didn't work before, and load the RAW file as 3 channel interleaved 8-bit (24-bit color), and it looks fine.
So I understand now. But we still need a program.
Derek
Ballerinstaller 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  

Well I have been tooling around with the 50MT discs i have gotten from a unamed party (thank you!) and I removed all the .PRG files and put the 40MT .PRG files on it.  No maps.  All I get is a turquoise background.  I am not messing around here with the single layer discs either, but making whole images on DL DVD's just to make sure there are NO anomalies.  Back to the drawing board.  There was no reflashing either after the swap, so I will revert the navigation OS .PRG file(s)  to the original new versions and see what strange anomalies await me now....

Peter

Pioneer Avic-N1
Clarion 300 watt 4 channel amp
PPI PC21400 1400 watt amp
2x JL 12 inch w7's
Polk EX series in factory locations
2000 Impala LS
Baller Installer - Pete D.
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
So I put all the 'extra' background images into the same directory as the ones that work. The D1 now has access to all the backgrounds that are mysteriously available on the N series. There seems to be a file count limit though, as not all images on the list appeared. So be selective in which ones you choose. The other animated ones work too (although I wouldn't call color cycling 'animated').
Derek
drayla 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
hmmm any way we can get all the available BGs posted somewhere to make choosing easier?  How many are there?
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
1) Put the NAV DVD in your PC
2) Copy all BG PIM images to PC and rename them to .RAW
3) Download and run Irfanview with all the plugins
4) Load the RAW images as 16-bit, 5:5:6 with a 16 byte header
You can now see them all quite easily and choose.
Derek
iracekx 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have the N2 did the bypass which also works on the Alpine DVD also. I want to up-grade my nav to the 1.2 and have read that it does nothing to the bypass. I used the wire on the end of a resistor to make my jumper that way I could easily pull it off. My silver tape peeled up very easy and restuck with no problems. I have been installing profesionally since 1986 so this was a cake walk for me. I would also bet that this bypass is for boats also. Because their is no law that you can not watch tv while the boat is moving. On most boats the radio is not where the driver can see it anyways. I was also told by our Pioneer rep that the mod for the N2 will work the same way for the N3, but he said that we are not to hook this up for customers, On my truck I ran mine through the emegency  brake and three switches  so anyone can not drive my truck and have access to video while driving. They say it is legal in Europe to watch video while in movement does that mean that they are better drivers than us. The key is never watch anything that you have not seen before that way you don't have to pay that much attention to the tv. I will not do this mod for any of my customers because I do not want a lawsuit headed my way. I do think that Pioneer should allow a little more access to Nav features IMO.
Life begins at 150..........On a 2005 Blue R1. Full Akrapovic race system/PC3/Chrome wheels/Greggs flush mount turn signals/LP sliders/LP bra/Clifford 2.5/Pit Bull front & Rear stands/
iracekx 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ballerinstaller wrote:

I have extensively looked online for any modding/hacking to the navigation dvds for the  popular Pioneer Avic series navigation systems but I have found none. 

I have successfully changed the boot image though.  I have done this by making a iso image of the dvd on my hard drive and then using a iso editing tool like Ultraiso 7 ME to pluck out the BGOPEN.JPG default bootscreen file and then replacing it with a custom one that has the same name and resolution size of 500x240.  I then reburn the dvd on a dual layer dvd, reboot the nav system with the new disc inserted (press reset) and poof!  my bootscreen is no longer saying Pioneer, but looks like this :

I have DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD2 are you aware if these iso ware is capable of doing this. I take what you are doing is deleting that file taking photoshop and making a picture saving it as the BGOPEN.JPG on the iso image. I would like to make mine look similair to yours wilth the YAMAHA  logo in the middle Alpinestar logo in a corner Suomy logo in the other corner on the bottom corner the Yamaha tuning forks logo and the Sidi logo in the other corner. If you could guide me in what to use to create this I would certainly appreciate it. Did you use the 1.2 version if so did affect your bypass mod. Thanks in advance.

Modding Avic-N1/N2 Nav DVD’s - Page 8 -- posted image.

I am also going to try to replace the default background images,do some performace gauges customization, and insert some new alarm sounds into my nav dvd.

What I would like to really do is strip the maps off of the N2 DVD and try to and I have to say *try* to insert them onto a N1 firmware Nav DVD so that we can have the best of both worlds (updated maps and still not suffer from the movie lockout while in motion) Any donations of copies of the N2 DVD's would surely be appreciated.

If anyone has any more tricks, please share them.

Pete

2000 Impala LS

Life begins at 150..........On a 2005 Blue R1. Full Akrapovic race system/PC3/Chrome wheels/Greggs flush mount turn signals/LP sliders/LP bra/Clifford 2.5/Pit Bull front & Rear stands/
Page of 50

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic