< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fst100 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

vehicle-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has no passlock 3

Remote Start/Security: Viper 160XV

Scenario:

installed the security aspect of the VIper 160XV remote start/security, but am having trouble setting up the remote start on the car. here's the link(its in pdf attachment-http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/og/viper/G562V_07-05.pdf

i tapped the tach wire from the dash harness, its a white wire.
Overall what i did-
i grounded both the hood pin switch and the nuetral safety wires-someone told me the neutral safety wire are only necessary to be tapped with a manual, so just ground it to the chassis. i cutted the starter wire(yellow) to the necesary wire on the remote(purple) going to the starter motor. connected the other end from the remote/starter kill(green) to the other half of the starter going into the key ignition. connected both the 2 red 12v wires together(pigtailed) to the constant red 12v source. skipped the oragne accessory output(no need yet), connected the pink ignition output from the remote to the 1st ignition wire(pink). pink/white to the 2nd ignition(white).
did anyone use the auxiliary wire connection at all? it arms and disarms the factory alarm if the remote start either starts or shuts off. another is the deisel wait-to-start feature and another that provides 200mA programmable output. i didnt connect these yet, seing i dont think it'd iniate the remote start feature.
Remote Start Harness-
status/defogger-left alone
hod pin switch- grounded to the chassis
brake switch- tapped into the white wire coming from the brake pedal
tach wire- tapped into white wire coming from the dash harness (http://www.midwest3800.com/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=83)
neutral safety switch input- grounded along with hod pin switch to chassis
Primary harness wire connection-i'd say its 80% complete
ground when armed output- grounded to chassis
light flash- tapped into headlights(yellow)
remote start activation input- dunno, the manual has it showing a press-down button of some sort, and i cant figure out if i wired the wire correctly to it.(maybe ths is where im lost) the press-down illustration shows the wire from the remote and another wire to a ground Viper 160XV Remote Start -- posted image.
domelight supervision- left alone(no need to wire it in yet)
second unlock-tapped into white wire at door panel(one thats connected to the a-pillar)
chassis ground connection-of course to the chassis
horn honk-tapped into black wire from the bcm
12v constant power-tapped into the red wire from the ignition harness
RED / white channel 2, 200mA output-left alone
from the kit, it also has a wiring harness that doesnt have instructions, as odd as it is. its called the "remote start auxiliary harness wiring", i left this alone cause i have no idea where these are needed to be connected to(again manual has NO instructions included). heres what they are:
blue- to be connected is a (-)200mA Accessory relay trigger
pink-to be connected is a (-)200mA Ignition relay trigger
purple-to be connected is a (-)200mA starter relay trigger
if ANYONE has any clue to what i just typed, please let me know what im doing wrong in regards to the remote start aspect. thanks alot for your help.

kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Somewhere in there, I noticed that you grounded the hood pin wire. When the hood pin wire sees ground, it prevents the remote start from working.
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
really?  i thought you could use a ground to 'fool' the remote to think it is connected to the hood pin switch.  call my dumb, but where is the pin switch?  is it the metal cable where u'd lift/yank the plastic tab to open the hood?
97f150ext 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
yeah just take the hood pin wire off ground and you shouldnt have any more problems.  might have to program but other than that should work fine.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Is it just me or did he just call this a remote start AND security system =)
Hope that's not what you are relying on to prevent theft.
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
you mean the wire from the remote?  where is the hood pin wire from the car if thats what you're saying?  Viper 160XV Remote Start -- posted image.where would be the hood pin switch on my car btw?  around the DKP or in the engine bay and what color?  also what about the "remote start auxiliary harness wiring"?  should i do anything with that?
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
the 160 should've come with a hood pin to add on. if you have a light under the hood, you can test it with a DMM to see if it's neg trigger and tie it in. easiest to just add the viper's. my notes don't list a factory hood pin for your vehicle 
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
yea i was gonna say, so what should the hood pin look like when with the 160 i bought and importantly how should i wire thatViper 160XV Remote Start -- posted image.?
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

im not sure if i connected as i should of, when i press the button on the keyless to initiate the remote start, nothing happens, nothing cranks. 

97f150ext 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
the hood pin switch is ground when the hood is open, idle when the hood is shut.  to make sure you have everything else hooked correctly and programmed right, just unhook the wire from the hood pin and try remote start to see what happens.  if the car starts and runs properly, then you need to fix the hood pin.  if nothing happens still, you have other problems that you need to search for.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic