Viper 160XV Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fst100 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

97f150ext wrote:
the hood pin switch is ground when the hood is open, idle when the hood is shut.  to make sure you have everything else hooked correctly and programmed right, just unhook the wire from the hood pin and try remote start to see what happens.  if the car starts and runs properly, then you need to fix the hood pin.  if nothing happens still, you have other problems that you need to search for.

call me dumb, but where i was under the impression my car didnt have a hood switch, but someone said that the 160xv series came with one.  i dont know how it looks, again im more of a visual person, if you could attach a pic with your reply, that'd be awesome or a link.  that way i'll have more of a general knowledge of what i am suupose to do.  also, about the auxiliary wire harness, i didnt attach any of those wires, should they be connected somewhere around the ignition harness? 

kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
The auxillary harness is used when you need to add more relays to power additional ignition, starter or accessory circuits. You should not need to use it in that vehicle.
The hood pin that comes with the 160XV looks like a brass threaded post with a plastic pin poking out one end and a spade terminal on the other. Unless the plastic pin is pushed down (by the hood) the terminal makes contact with the metal post, which is meant to be installed into the metal under the hood. When the hood goes up, the terminal is grounded, and the hood pin wire attached to the terminal is grounded, which prevents the remote start from activating.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
ok, i kinda had an idea of what it was, but unsure of of it and how to actually wire it.  from the remote there's also a blue/white wire that it instructs also be connected to the pin switch besides the wire to be grounded, should i connect the blue/white wire between the 2 washers along with the wire thats grounded?
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  
also, the pin switch would be placed in the engine bay.  it'll lie somewhere where' its being pushed down constantly to let the remote know that the hood is closed, and when the hood is opened, the pin lifts up and the engine gets shut off, is that correct?
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
*bump- please let me know would be the correct way of installing the pin switch as questioned above Viper 160XV Remote Start - Page 2 -- posted image.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Jesus....
Okay. The hood pin switch gets the long, thin grey wire. The pinswitch itself gets mounted either on a bracket attatched to the firewall or fender or rad cradle. Or, there may be a convenient lip you can drill a hole into, mount the switch, attatch the wire with the supplied terminal onto the switch.
The blue white is an additional, programmable OUTPUT from the unit. Don't ground it out... it is a grounding output. Use it to trip a relay or bypass module.
And you wonder why DEI doesn't warranty their products when the backyard guys get ahold of them....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
gus1, thanks for the info.  i'll go at it, this coming weekend.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic