the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Back Dash Project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cirrusly_fast 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
This is my second and latest project.
I'm trying to redo my back dash.
I'm starting my second fiberglass project. It's my back dash. I'm going to try to get my amp molded in the center and the 6x9's pointing at an angle.I'm building this so that I can fill in the dents and low spots and make it flat. then I will make a mold of the original back piece and cut a hole for the amp and form two 6x9 rings on each side. with this layer being flat I can anchor down the amp and the appropriate places. I figure MDF would be too thick. I will screw down this layer to the hole where the old 6x9 holes were (so as to not make new ones) then screw down the amp. The next piece ) mold of original will fit right over just like it was originally made to so that I can remove it when necessary.
This is the base mold of the metal part of the back dash.
Back Dash Project -- posted image.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
System: 1-12" Orion H2, Crossfire VR2000D,Odyssey C2150 battery
cirrusly_fast 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
This is the base mold after some kitty hair filler and a little sanding.
These two pictures are of the actual back dash piece you would normally see. I taped it so I can lay fiberglass over it and make an exact replica of it. This is where I plan to remount the 2 6x9's and cut a hole in the center to explose the amp.
By the end of the project, I hope to have to looking similar to this photoshoped pic, except the blue will be the color of my enclosures.
this is one of my enclosures I made as my 1st project.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
13r1an 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta admit, I'm so seriously confused as to what the hell you're doing... but hey... all the more power to ya.  I'm interested in seein the final result.
13r1an 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

oh shhh, my bad, i talked before u finished postin.  i'll just go back to my corner now.  that's a good job for ur first box, congrats.  should get a better sub now.  ;-)

as for the rear deck... i'm still a bit confused why ur doin it the way u chose to... but i'm sure u have ur reasons and i'm just dumb or sumtin

13r1an 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
cirrusly_fast 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
well I had this posted at another forum so I tried to cut and paste. I'll try to explain.
the 1st pictures you see are of the rear deck after I took off the rear deck cover piece. I did this because I want to install my amp there, however, that area is very uneven and if I installed my amp there it would overlap the 6x9's. So I replicated it and now I'm filling in the dents and making it even.
the piece that is taped in blue is the actual cover piece that covers the metal and 6x9's to make it look stock. well I don't want to sacrifice this piece, so I'm going to replicate this piece too. Once replicated, I will add the 6x9's on at an angle so that the amp can fit without overlaping the 6x9's, cut a hole of the amp (so that the top of the amp shows), cover in fleece, then resin, fill,sand and paint the color of the car.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
13r1an 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
figured i'd share my fiberglass rear deck creation.  MBQuart Premium Component set in the rear, tweeters aimed, crossovers flush mounted and custom 10 LED brake light.  and that's my company logo chillin there.  :-D
13r1an 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

okay okay, i think i get wut ur doin then.  are you going to make enclosures for the 6x9s or just mount them into the glass and have em free air?

and another angle of my rear deck:

cirrusly_fast 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
no specific enclosure per say. it's two separate parts. I want to be able to get to the amp easily. So no the is no enclosure, but the two pieces (top and bottom) put together will sort of act as an enclosure. I'm not doing this project for the 6x9's. it's aimed at:
1. Honing my skills at glassing.
2. Showing off the amp in a non-typical way.
3. As a portfolio type project.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
i hope this is a show car... other wise that equipments going to be gone quick.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic