icon

constant thump from subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d_stever 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
i have two(2) 15" volfenhag subs(zx4715dvc) a pyle 1000 watt amp(pla885)and a pioneer cd player(deh-p2600), when ever i turn the volume down on the deck, or turn the gain on the amp up to far i get this loud "thump" from the subs about every secound or sothe deck i bought from a friend witch i installed for him and he didnt have a problem,the amp and subs are new the car is a '89 sundance, any help with this would be helpful     -thanks 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
PLEASE use the SEARCH function on the top of this forum and look for "setting gain."  Your gain control is not a volume control, it needs to be set to match your head unit and left ALONE.  Or better yet, go get help from a professional installer and once the system level is set, don't mess with it!
Support the12volt.com
d_stever 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
i should say when i turn the gain above 25%it thumps its worse when the amp has no siginal going to it(when im changing cds or i turn it to radio or cd) and there is no way im going to a pro to do it and get ripped off and down graded about my system and try to be sold a new one
gbear14275 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
No offense man, but sometimes you get what you pay for.  I'm not saying that the best audio equipment is the most expensive because thats not true but I don't think i've heard many good things about a pyle amplifier.  Maybe someone here will contradict me and that's fine because I don't keep current with alot of brands but the problem might lie in your amplifier itself.  Bad circut design or some construction defect might be causing this problem.  Someone else chirp in to tell me if im not being fair...
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

d_stever wrote:
i should say when i turn the gain above 25%it thumps its worse when the amp has no siginal going to it(when im changing cds or i turn it to radio or cd) and there is no way im going to a pro to do it and get ripped off and down graded about my system and try to be sold a new one

Are you kidding me?  You present a perfect case of someone that should go to a pro, and you still refuse.

As DYohn stated, but you seemed to ignore, you need to learn how to set gain correctly and what it is. 

Read http://www.bcae1.com/ 

Ask questions if you need to, but please try to learn.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
The only downgrading u could go from a Pyle is to Pyramid. I may be wrong but i have heard of a leaking capacitor causing this symptom as well (and if u cant find and fix it u would need a new amp anyway)
pcguy760 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  

Well I guess I will add my 2 cents lol - I once was installing an amp for a friend and it did the same thing - it was a slow thumping and I could see the sub moving in and out BUT it only happend with the RCA cables connected. Once I disconnected the RCA Input cables it stopped. Changed to some good quality RCA cables and the thumping was gone.

Another time I had this was when I had barely a good ground on the amp power side. Just my personal experiences maybe it can help you out.

redlinecustoms 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

As many people think, all you have to do is put the stuff in turn everything way up and bam. This is entirely WRONG. The reason a professional is needed is because there are many aspects about tuning an amp that people dont understand. There is different ways of wiring subs and amps, to get different ohm loads, or more watts, etc. If you go to a shop that tells you your system sucks, then find a new one. Any respectable shop will help you with your system, no matter what it is. Because customer service is the only way to stay alive in this business.

Jack

boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hey man,

This has happened to myself with a KICKER 800.2 amp with 2 VRs...obviously not a cheap setup. I had the same probably with using a defective set of RCAs. Once I changed those out it was clearing sailing for a couple years until a bass comp when I got the great scent of burnt subs in my car for a couple of weeks...constant thump from subs -- posted image.

If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Happened once on my RF amp... the day i upped wire from 4 to 2 gauge.... I was confused. It was because the ground wasnt secure (i rushed it), secured ground and it went away. hope its the same thing for you... cause its a easy fix.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic